1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How many ATF drain and fill?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by trungdok, Nov 9, 2015.

1. trungdok

trungdok Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II

I have a used 2007 Prius with 122k miles on it. I want to drain and fill the ATF to make sure everything is good. My question is with my Corolla I would need to drain and fill the ATF 3 times to get most of the old ATF out. This is mainly due to old ATF are still in various parts of the transmission and converter. For the Prius, do you need to do the same procedure? Had anyone do a drain and fill 3 times? Any comment on your experience?

Thanks,

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Your Prius has simple transmission hardware (but complex software) and no torque converter. If you do a drain and refill of the Toyota Type WS fluid you will get out more than 80% of the old fluid so just do it once. Plan on doing it again in 60k miles. I have done it 4 times now on my 2004 Prius (every 60k miles - now at 279k miles) and had the fluid lab tested each time. The fluid comes out cleaner with every refresh, partly due to the small amount of old fluid left after draining, and partly due to the gears "lapping-in" as they become mated to each other with use.

I have done a double drain/refill on small motors that I am leaving sit untill the next season, so I understand your question. The $40 in extra ATF fluid to do it twice in your Prius does not seem to me to be worth the effort.

JeffD

#2 jdenenberg, Nov 9, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
    Robert Holt likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It's true that a traditional automatic transmission only drains about 50%. But it's not necessary to do a triple drain-and-fill, even with those. When the drain interval is set by the manufacturer, it.s set frequently enough to take into account that you're only going to drain 50%.

The only time I would do a triple drain-and-fill is if the fluid had been contaminated.

4. trungdok

trungdok Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Excellent. Thanks Jeff.

I agree. I drive a lot so initially I wanted to completely refresh the fluid (80-90%) so I don't have to do it again for another 100k miles or so. But lately I have been with the mentality that doing it once a year isn't that bad. The Corolla is an 05', has 325k miles now, and it's purring like a happy kitten with that 100k miles/transmission refresh (actually it was more like 175k then 150k miles :D).

Thanks both.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just looking at our old '86 Accord Owners Manual (misplaced when we traded up, still got it). Replacement of "transmission oil" was every 2 years or 48,000 km's (30,000 miles). So fairly frequent. It's kinda weird they don't differentiate manual vs automatic, maybe both the same.

Funny too, compared to the US Toyota Prius Warranty and Maintenance Booklet: they manage to summarize the entire maintenance schedule, in a couple of pages, in table format. The service-by-service method used in the US book is virtually impossible to "grok".