1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How many days from Arriving at the Port to the Dealer?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Steve Cebu, May 29, 2009.

1. Steve Cebu

Steve Cebu New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My dealer has my $1,000 deposit. The cars are finished being unloaded at the port and the ship has gone back out to sea.
    They are telling me I will get my car between June 11th to June 16th.
    That seems like a very long time to get the cars out of the Port and to the dealer.
    They said it has to do with the car carrier positions.
    Does it really take 2+ weeks for the cars to get out of port and to the dealer?!
    I know it takes a few days to deliver the car but that time seems excessive.
    Also another ship is due in with cars fairly soon. I'm just wondering if I should look for a car elsewhere and get my deposit back from this dealer. I really need a car now due to having 2 jobs and only 1 car.

2. rcsting

rcsting Toyota Fanatic

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My Prius arrived at port in Northern California on 05/07 on the ship Century Highway. As of today it is still at the port although its been posted that the region was holding off sending cars to dealers until 05/29 ( today ). The second ship delivered cars to port on 05/26 ( Continental Highway ) so there are plenty of cars in port at this time.

I really hope that it will arrive this weekend because I've been driving a rental Prius for the last week due to selling my Tacoma.

1 person likes this.
  3. Steve Cebu

Steve Cebu New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks, I guess it depends on the Port but I still get the feeling my dealer sold the car out from under me and now I'm having to wait for the next shipment. :mad:
    I have to have a car by the end of next week or either my wife or I will lose our job. Both employers have been very helpful but my wife needs her car at work and to do this for a couple of weeks is tough but to have to do it for another 3 weeks is not possible. I will fly somewhere and buy the car and drive it back.
    It's insane to make us wait 3 weeks when we have a deposit on the car and their "promise" we will get it and now it seems like everyone else will get theirs weeks before we get ours.
    I'm not happy.
    Your cars were intentionally held up by Toyota, but how long does it really take to get from the Port to the dealer?
    I'm just really ticked off right now since the dealer is doing this now.

4. rcsting

rcsting Toyota Fanatic

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I already have my VIN so if you do have a car reserved your dealer should be able provide you with your VIN number. My dealer even gave me a vehicle inquiry report showing ship name, every detail of my Prius including key number and total price. Ask him for that report if you can. Hope this helps.

5. Steve Cebu

Steve Cebu New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    He claims he does not have the Vin# yet. He says the port has not given it to him. This person I am speaking with is the son of the owner of the dealership, who's in charge of this stuff.
    So it's not just a salesperson. But they can't give me any details at all. I have all the other info but just not a Vin#.
    So tomorrow I am going to try and find a dealer who has what I want and if I have to I will fly down monday and buy one.
    Another 2-3 weeks is crazy and unacceptable.

6. taftjr

taftjr New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi Steve,
    I got a info sheet for the car I was buying a couple weeks ago. It did not include the VIN. I am buying from Expressway Toyota in Dorchester and they have been very helpful as they allowed me to change the accessories that come with it to what I wanted. This is the printout I got:

2010Prius_Inquiry1small.jpg 2010Prius_Inquiry2small.jpg

7. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

The VIN is not assigned until the vehicle arrives on ground at the port. I posted this several weeks ago in another thread.
    • when the vehicle is assigned to a store it's in 'A' status;
    • .....this usually happens when the vessel is at sea;
    • .....when the vessel arrives the specific vehicle is designated to a specific dealer ( that's when the VIN becomes known );
    • .....it normally takes about 1 week for vehicle processing at the port
    • after the processing the vehicle is moved to 'Freight' status meaning that the truckman has been told to come and get the vehicle;
    • .....the truckman then has 72 hours to get the vehicle to the store
    • after 72 hours the vehicle moves to 'G' status meaning that it's supposed to be On Ground at the retail store.
    7-14 days is typical from arrival at the port to arrival at the store. Right now if your vehicle is one of the first ones coming to your local store then your store should know which vehicle he's getting by model # and package and color. Most likely he's getting one vehicle from this first vehicle. It may or may not meet your requirement. The next vessel behind that one apparently has many more vehicles.

3 people like this.
  8. Steve Cebu

Steve Cebu New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks, this is pretty much the same paperwork that I have now.

9. Steve Cebu

Steve Cebu New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the breakdown I'm not sure why they are telling me up to 19 days tho.

They don't seem like they want to be bothered with my questions.
    I think they said it was A status now. But no Vin#. It's frustrating since the guy I am now dealing with isn't as helpful as the sales manager who is now too buy to answer the phone or return calls.

10. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Seven days from Port of Portland, OR to dealer in Beaverton, OR, about 12 miles or so.

11. Steve Cebu

Steve Cebu New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks, I can't figure out why they are telling me 13-19 days unless they sold the car out from under me.

12. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My package V with Navi arrived in Jacksonville on the Kentucky Highway Tuesday morning 5/26/09 and was at my dealer in South Florida Thursday morning 5/28/09.
    I believe my car was expedited because the dealer wanted something to put on the showroom floor ASAP. The remaining 3 Prius' in his first delivery arrived on Friday afternoon 5/29/09. Jacksonville is around 300 miles from South Florida.

I wish everyone the same speedy delivery time; I pick up mine this morning 5/30/09.

13. edwjmcgrath

edwjmcgrath New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I talked to a dealer in the NE yesterday who has a group of cars coming in June 1 and then a second group on June 15 or so. I don't think that those were two boats. I would guess that they load up a bunch of car carriers, deliver some cars, come back and get some more, etc. It could take a couple of weeks to get ALL of the cars out of port.

1 person likes this.
  14. damack1

damack1 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The Tennessee dealership I'm working with and paid a deposit to sent me a spec sheet without a VIN too. The sheet shows the car is on the ship Auriga Leader. They told me to expect my car the third week of June.

The Auriga Leader arrived in port (Portland, OR) on 5/27. Last time I checked, it was heading toward Canada next, so I think it offloaded all its US cars in Portland. So, to make a long story short, I conclude that my car has to travel overland from Oregon to Tennessee, possibly by mule cart. This may account for some of the lengthy delays between arrival at port and arrival at dealership. If you live near the port, you're likely to get your car sooner. Live far away from port, and you'll have to wait.

At least, that's how I put it together.

15. priusinpdx

priusinpdx New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

My 2010 was also on the Auriga Leader. I think it arrived in Portland late on 5/25 or early on 5/26 (I watched it enter the Columbia on a webcam in Astoria). When I placed the order last weekend , the delivery date to the dealer (in the Portland metro area) was scheduled to be 6/9. I checked with the dealer yesterday and the delivery date moved up to 6/4. He was also able to provide a VIN.

16. Steve Cebu

Steve Cebu New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well it could be they don't have enough car carriers. Where I live is not the extreme of where they would go. But for me to drive from here to NJ during the day... it's about 6 hours to NY with normal traffic, NJ could add another hour or so onto that and then they have more than 1 dealer to stop at but I don't see it as being delayed by that much time and another ship will be docking in about 5-6 days roughly.

Also as someone else said it takes time to go across the country but either the dealer is being pessimistic about the delivery time or just blowing me off because it's just the sale of 1 car.
    I think it's more than a delivery issue for it to take more than 2 weeks from the port to the dealer.

17. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota also likes to 'under promise' and 'over deliver' ... promise date 6-13, delivery 6-7 for example.

1 person likes this.
  18. damack1

damack1 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It sounds like to me that there are staged deliveries from the port. I think many if not most of the dealerships have gotten at least one Prius as of this past week. Seemingly, another wave will go out soon or has already left. Of course it will be great if they arrive earlier than promised, but I can't complain if it comes in on the schedule I was originally given.

19. Steve Cebu

Steve Cebu New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, it could be a staged delivery although why they would do that is beyond me unless they don't have enough car carriers to deliver them all.
    I don't think anyone in New England has a car yet, not even the dealers. I guess we will be last....

20. Martin37

Martin37 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Dealer has my $1,000 too! And I'm looking at 7 more weeks (8 from a week ago) for delivery of Blue II from Portland OR. By the time my rig arrives, I'll be thoroughly versed in how it functions thanks to PC. Take a big breath!!!