1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How many fobs are really needed

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Ghostrider, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Ghostrider

Ghostrider New Member

I will be getting a new Prius shortly and am planning some things out. I am getting package 3 and am wondering some things about the fob. I have searched this forum and gotten some answers but am still unclear.
    1. On a 2006 I don't believe the owner can program a third fob
    2. If you lose both fobs you are in trouble because you have to buy a rather expensive new security system
    3. if you keep a copy of the number on the fob than losing both fobs is not as expensive since you just order more fobs and get them programmed
    4. A new fob is somewhere around 200-250 bucks

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    1. correct, but a dealer can program up to 4 total fobs per car
    2. nope, the computer can be reset... i posted an article about it but danny's been busy and hasn't gotten it up in the knowledge base last time i checked
    3. not quite. the number tag is for cutting the metal key, nothing more
    4. sounds about right

3. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    As for how many of them are really needed, i'd say one more than will be carried around on people (ie an "extra" one that just sits in a kitchen drawer or something)... that way if one is lost, you can get a replacement easily... even if all the ones being carried (for example, a guy sticks his in his wifes purse at a party and it gets snatched) are lost, you still have that one to use while you get the replacements.

4. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    With my wife's car, we have 3. One is hers, one is mine (I drive it 2% of the time) and we have a spare. Since my wife doesn't drive the Prius, we have two, mine and a spare. My last car didn't have anything special about the key (no power locks or security system with a chip in the key) so my parents had a copy as well.

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have three and am the sole driver.

I use one. One is stored in a safe place in my house. One is in a file in my parents' house.

6. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius