1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How many global warming equivalents does a volcano spew out?

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by burritos, May 9, 2008.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  2. chogan2

chogan2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Apparently it depends on the volcano. Realclimate has some good discussions of it. The closer to the tropics and the larger the amount of S02, the more significant the cooling. The farther away and the more ash instead of S02, the less. I think the last noticeable one was Pinatubo, and that only shows as a blip on the line. Reading some comments on realclimate, at this stage nobody thinks this one will have much impact. Let me see if I can get a graph with Pinatubo labeled.

Here's a brief general discussion:

RealClimate

Can't seem to find a graph handy, sorry. Several sources say the aerosols from Pinatubo were essentially gone in three years. Cooling was cited at about half a degree centigrade. But short lived. Obviously, if you got a bigger volcano, it would have more impact.

3. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    [​IMG]

There you go. Just as chogan2 describes.

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    A 'nonstandard' view of lighning production by volcanic erutions:

Volcanic Lightning

The CO2 associated with volcanic eruptions is the 'warming agent'. Suspended ash has an opposing effect, but does not persist for long in the troposphere. Really powerful erupttions can inject ash (and, importantly, SO2) into the stratosphere. Those can cool the earth for 1 to a few years.

edit: If not clear fromAlric's figure, the Pinatubo eruption of interest was 1991. El Chinchon was 1982. Both 'did' the stratosphere, but Mt. St. Helens did not. That one sort of squirted sideways.

5. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    A 27 MT squirt! :D

6. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Sure it was big Tripp, but not a stratosphere punch. Instead the ash killed a lot of car engines. Y'all know to not drive through volcanic ash, right? Pointy little particles...

7. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    True...true. But you're the one who said it "squirted". I just put a magnitude on the squirting. ;)