1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How many hours on full tank can the Prius stay stopped with heat on?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Aegean, Jan 27, 2022.

1. Aegean

Aegean Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    How many hours on a full tank can the Prius stay stopped with heat on? For example if I get stuck on a snowstorm at 25 degrees how many hours can I have the car on to provide some heat like 60 degrees? Any educated guess?

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    on a full tank I'd think at least 4 days, likely longer...

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's too bad you're asking about a Gen 2: we have an old "on hunkering" thread that's specific to Gen 1, and the later "on hunkering, Gen 3 style" thread for that generation.

The topic did come up again recently, and someone did add some Gen 2 numbers on page 2 of the Gen 3 thread.

It depends of course on the surrounding temperature and the wind, and which of several different techniques you use while hunkering. There are more techniques covered in the Gen 3 thread than in the original Gen 1 thread.

How effective the techniques are depends on seeing just how the car's programming responds to them, so the Gen 3 details might give you some general ideas for Gen 2, but to get better than that would take repeating some of the same experiments with a Gen 2. Maybe yours! :)

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Isn't the gen 1 about equal to the gen 2 for the most part the gen 3 being completely different more or less but anyway the 4-day thing sounds I guess kind of reasonable you being in the car just yourself is going to generate decent heat if you have a coat proper footwear and what have you on then every time you start the car to make this heat you have to wait for the stupid thing either warm up a little bit which is generally pretty quick especially if you're like kind of buried in the snow then you've got to be careful to make sure the exhaust is actually getting out of the snow and up into the air and not to you A lot of things to consider in my Prius their tools and things I can get out of the Prius and build the fire probably quicker and have a real fire going if I'm anywhere where there's any kind of wood broken branches etc and then I have a real fire smoke smoke smoke signals whatever and real heat

5. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Why not just answer the question and do as requested and make an "educated guess?" You clearly have far more knowledge of Prius than almost anyone on here. Why not be helpful? Or maybe you just like to hear yourself talk rather than be helpful. I suggested 4 days. Do you think it would be over that or under that?

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Gen 1 and Gen 2 share the 1NZ engine, but there are major differences between them in the engine cooling and cabin heating system, and in the controls design.

As anyone can see who takes a look at the existing Gen 1 and Gen 3 on-hunkering threads, there are details in exactly how the car's control programming responds that can make days of difference in your hunkering time.

There could be similar details that could be exploited in Gen 2, but it could take someone with a Gen 2 to find what they are.

I think the word 'helpful' just means different things to us. If you follow the links I gave, you find: 2.4 days in a Gen 3 using technique 1, technique 2 not recommended, technique 3 giving 3.7 days, technique 4 about 7 days, but for that technique you would probably need to build a simple circuit to help out. Those are at temperatures down around −20 ℃.

The Gen 1 numbers were nearly 3 days (technique 1) or more like 9 days (technique 2), but those were from testing at much milder temperatures, around 2 ℃, and that makes a huge difference.

The way I understand being 'helpful', when there is as big a range of answers as that depending on what technique you use and under what conditions, it is not helpful to just throw one number out and not include the information about what it depends on.

Or, if somebody comes to PriusChat and says "I've got a question on this topic, has anybody got an educated guess?" and the forum happens to have not just guesses but established threads for that exact topic with real-world collected data, does being 'helpful' mean we should withhold that information and just pretend to have guesses?

#6 ChapmanF, Jan 28, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2022
    jerrymildred and Henrik Helmers like this.
  7. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  8. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for clarifying... It's the nature of so much info on the internet to not click links for more information if it may lead to too much effort to find the answer, as in good referencing practices are important. For example you listed different methods in this recent post with amount of time each method might last... People interested will be more likely to click the link to learn about each method because of the way you presented it the second time around.

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm sure you're right about that. At the same time, there are obvious tradeoffs—it also takes more effort to write extensive rehashes of stuff you've already written before and can link to, and that might be effort that could have been spent on helping two or three other people with their questions.

So sometimes I just take on faith that a person who has come to PriusChat, and actively posted a question, is probably already interested enough to click a link that's given in an answer like "here's a thread exactly about your question".

PriusCamper likes this.
  10. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's probably true for the person posting and I tend to be long-winded so I'm no expert on being brief. But suspect for more casual readers who is not OP we'd prefer something super simple like:

"2.4 days in a Gen 3 using technique 1, technique 2 not recommended, technique 3 giving 3.7 days, technique 4 about 7 days, but for that technique you would probably need to build a simple circuit to help out. Those are at temperatures down around −20 ℃." on hunkering, Gen 3 style | PriusChat and on hunkering | PriusChat

11. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    With heat on constantly the engine will never shut off and not knowing the state of tune of the engine and at 165K miles the hybrid battery is getting tired so theirs that load too so maybe 48+ hours which will be the longest 48+ hours of your life lol.

Stuck inside a G2 Prius for 48 hours kill me now.

Bring a sleeping bag some food and lots of water.

Hope your engine/trans/inverter maintenance tune is on point. Lets be honest its a 16 year old car.

PriusCamper likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and diapers

edthefox5 and jerrymildred like this.
  13. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Yah, maybe so.

And a container for the used water if there are no convenient bushes. ;)

edthefox5 likes this.
  14. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've tried to leave the heater on full blast to keep the engine running for a long time on a Gen 2 Prius for diagnostic purposes and turns out it gets to a point where engine regularly shuts off even though outdoor temps were in the mid-30's... I was surprised, perhaps when cabin temperature hits 85' the heater shuts off on its own at maximum setting?

edthefox5 likes this.
  15. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When the engine shuts off it has an aux emergency heater a coil I think. But that not free either the hybrid battery would get hammered with that if no engine running. And no G2 has a great H Battery unless its been replaced....with an OEM battery or equivalent..

The G2 is just an under powered tank. I would not risk my life on it.

16. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This particular car has a refurbished Green Tec pack with 50 miles on it, so it's in great condition and didn't see the usual drain down to 2 bars with heater on... Green Tec does high quality rebuilds. Always been impressed with how good their battery packs are.