1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How Many Keys??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by miniracer, Feb 26, 2004.

1. miniracer

miniracer New Member

I ordered my Prius 1-5-04 so I don't anticipate getting it anytime real soon. It will come with the Smart Entry System. How many keys/Fobs will I get. I've received two key sets with all other new cars I've purchased. Is the Prius any different? I got two sets with a 2001 F-150 and lost one set during a house move. These have a chip in the key itself and it cost $120 for a spare to be programmed to be kept in a safe place for emergencies. Lose both sets and it'll cost you a tow - in and mucho bucks to dismantle the ignition for a re-programming and new keys. What is the situation with the Prius?? I'd hate to exist with just one key and fob.

2. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Comes with 2 fobs. Check out this thread for more information on extra keys:

http://www.priuschat.com/forums/viewtopic....4&highlight=fob

89904-47061 2004 keyfob WITH Smart Start & Entry $160.50 Conicelli Toyota - PA Tom Rielli - 800-825-7128 ext.2653 Mention you are a Prius Club Member for this discounted price. List $214.00

3. mboileau

mboileau New Member

I also have the SE/SS option, and the car came with two key fobs. Note that each key fob contains the backup mechanical key inside of it. The dealer told me that the mechanical keys can be replaced for a nominal cost. As you said, the key fob with the chip costs quite a bit more. Worst case scenario is if you lose both fobs, since they require that the vehicle be re-keyed/programmed for an astronomical fee. I'd take great care to be sure not to lose the second fob. If you're inclined to lose it regardless, I'd order a spare mechanical key and give it to somebody.

4. miniracer

miniracer New Member

If you get two sets - that's fine. Either the wife gets the second set or I store it in a safe place. For some reason I thought you only got one set - not logical, really. At least with this car you can use a mechanical key made at a hardware store in a pinch. Can't do that with the Ford and MOST cars these days. Maybe you can get in the door - but you can't strart the car. Thanks for the info. I'll continue quietly waiting for my Prius now.

5. mboileau

mboileau New Member

The mechanical key will allow you to lock and unlock the driver's door (since there's only one key hole on the vehicle), but it won't allow you to start the car. It's used primarily in case the SE/SS system fails and you're locked out. Sorry about misleading you. Looks like it's just as costly as the other cars...

6. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Sorry I'm bringing back such and old post.
    I called Tom his new extention is X2657

And the price is now $148