1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How many miles after head gasket replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by borgestes, Jun 26, 2024 at 2:54 PM.

1. borgestes

borgestes Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My 2011 gen 3 head gasket is leaking. Im trying to decide gen 4 jdm upgrade, gen 3 jdm replacement or just do a felpro head gasket replacement. The last gen 3 head gasket I did only lasted 40k miles, and I did send the head out to the machine shop. I expected to get 100k out of the engine but have since decided the engines are really just disposable. Not rebuildable, similar to the honda hybrid cvt.

Has anyone got 100k after a head gasket change? Disappointed jdm prices are up like everything else, over 1500 for a gen4, gen 3 isnt much less. I only have 160k miles on this 2011, really bummed that its blown the head gasket so soon. :( Yes I cleaned the egr out when I got it, at 140k, along with the regular maintenance.

#1 borgestes, Jun 26, 2024 at 2:54 PM
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2024 at 3:01 PM
  2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I know these things are high maintenance for like no reason You would think we were dealing with a supra or something

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    There has to be a reason it only lasted 40k

Brian1954 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  4. borgestes

borgestes Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thats why I am asking, who has over 100k on a replaced head gasket? Its not that complicated to replace a head gasket but if its going to continue to fail due to whatever caused it to fail now, be it crap gasket, temp changes, thermo expansion, whatever, I dont want to waste my time changing another vs just replace the engine.

It is certainly alot cheaper to do a head gasket than engine swap but the days of picking up dirt cheap prius have passed so I will have to keep this for a while so I need to do the fix that will last the longest.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you put in the upgraded oem kit, then I would replace the engine

6. borgestes

borgestes Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No idea what the upgraded oem kit is, This car that I am deciding on fixing is not the same one I have already replaced. A friend has been driving that car for 4 years but I can tell the head gasket is leaking again.

I used a felpro gasket when I pulled that engine out of the car to do the work. I replaced the rings as well at that time cause there was all the talk about stuck rings which they were not. I have not been told the engine uses oil, but I think he would have told me if it was using oil.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Trying to piece together the chronology:

1. You got the car at 140K, and cleaned the EGR then.
    2. It's been 40K since the head gasket replacement.

Question:

1. At what miles did you replace the head gasket?

8. borgestes

borgestes Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II

sorry for the confusion, we are talking multiple cars. I bought this car with 140k miles for 1k and replaced the inverter, and rebuilt the battery, changed the tranny fluid, plugs, cleaned the egr, changed the antifreeze and brake fluid, the usual stuff for a 140k mile car. Now the head gasket is leaking. I got my first check engine light a couple months ago for a misfire. now I see the light has come back, the level has dropped in the tank and it has pressure so its leaking. I can still drive it, and am driving it. its driving fine but it needs to be addressed.

The previous car that I replaced the head gasket and rings had 200k miles on it the time. I sent the head to the local machine shop who has been doing my heads for 25 years.

to clarify my question, has anyone paid a mechanic, done the replacement themselves a head gasket job that has lasted over 100k miles? Im sure there is someone but I just want to hear from them before I waste my time replacing mine. I may have messed something up when I did my head gasket but usually my mistakes will show up in less than 10k miles/

#8 borgestes, Jun 26, 2024 at 4:20 PM
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2024 at 11:05 PM
    Mendel Leisk likes this.