1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How many miles before a brake job?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by blarson8082, Jun 3, 2009.

1. blarson8082

blarson8082 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am new to this PC and welcome any feed back on my question. I have a chance to buy a 2005 Prius with 71000 miles on it. It is in great shape with no mechanical problems. However the origional brakes are still on the car, again with no problems. How many miles are normal for a set of brakes on a Prius? Also how much does a brake job run and can a shop other than Toyota do the replacement?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Depends a lot on how you drive, but most of us aren't even thinking about it until 100k miles and many are going many thousands of miles further than that without serious wear issues.

BTW, here's a site where Wayne Brown posted some photos of his like-new brake pads at 100k miles:
    http://privatenrg.com/#100kBrakePads
    [​IMG]

3. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Prius friction brakes are only used for emergency stops and from 7 mph on down. Normal braking above 7 mph goes back to the battery. Some find they need to do a quick stop periodically just to keep the rust off the rotors.

4. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Most Priuses are able to go at least 75k before brake jobs.

However, the second generation Prius still has rear drum brakes. They need to be cleaned, deglazed and adjusted at least every 30,000 miles to ensure that the brake system is working properly. This is very important for the overall health of the brake system.

5. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    This is incorrect. Periodic inspection is needed, but under normal circumstances neither the front disk brakes or rear drum brakes will need any maintenance. Further more, the rear drums have a ratcheting style auto adjuster.

See this link for a detailed description:

http://www.techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/brkjob/adj.html

Galaxee did a recent write up on cleaning and adjustment. Apparently one side was not auto ratcheting. This is not normal which is why periodic inspection is needed. Deglazing is *not* needed but won't hurt anything if you do it.

In cars where the brakes are actually used to stop, pad replacement will vary greatly depending on type of driving and driving style. I've never had a car that needed brake pads at 75K miles.

Since the brakes in the prius are only used to stop from 7 to 0 in normal circumstances, the pads should easily outlast the life of the car.

Brake fluid becomes water logged over time regardless of use, so it needs to be flushed about every 5 years.

6. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    From my experience, drum brakes get dusty and dirty with normal use. After a period of time, the dust builds up and sometimes causes brake noise. That is why I recommend cleaning the rear drum assembly and performing any adjustments (if necessary) every 30k.

7. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    It certainly can't hurt, but the Prius when driven normally won't need it anywhere near as frequently as a non regen car.