1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How many miles does prius use to calculate avg miles per gallon?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Jeffrimerman, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Jeffrimerman

Jeffrimerman Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I can see it change so it's probably like 20 miles. I used to think it was per tank but it changed too fast for averaging with the last mile with 300 miles on the tank.

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I believe it calculates it almost continuously. If you check at the start of a fill up it updates about every half mile.

John (Britprius)

3. Jeffrimerman

Jeffrimerman Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    From what I can see, if I drive at let's say 45mpg for a couple miles, it will change maybe .1 depending on how low or high the previous mpg was. I know it's always calculating, but is this a rolling previous 20 miles or 50 miles or 100 miles. It's possible it's per tank.

Edit: I suppose I can reset it and just keep an eye and see at roughly what miles driven it slowly changes up and down for mpg. That would give me a rough idea. I would think it would be a neat number like 20 30 40 50 etc so might be easy to figure.

4. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It up dates continuously against whatever your average is on the MFD consumption screen. If the MPG figure is not reset it will appear not to update as quickly because any increase or decreases in MPG over the last few miles averaged out over say the last 5000 since the last reset will have only a small bearing on the over all average.

John (Britprius)

5. Jeffrimerman

Jeffrimerman Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It seemed to change too quickly to be averaging a couple miles into the hundreds I put on it, but maybe .5mpg isn't much to change.

6. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yeah it averages over the full tank. Mine changes very rapidly just after I fill the tank (2005 model automatically resets the MPG data each time you fill). I often go down to about 23MPG (10 L/100km) in the first minute as I go up a big hill, and then in the next minute or so it's back up to 50MPH as I hit some downhill sections.

Once I get a few hundred km on the tank however, it only changes very slowly.

7. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    It's working constantly.

8. Agent J

Agent J Hypoliterian

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    it calculates constantly the average MPG depending on the distance travelled. So the time interval between changes gets longer as you put more miles because it will have a higher threshold.