1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How many miles of EV should I get?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Ken Bruce, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Ken Bruce

Ken Bruce New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have a lovely new Prius Plug in. After a FULL charge the car immediately reads out 10 miles or less. Is this what I should expect? I watch videos reviewing the plug in and they all talk about 12 miles. Over and over again.

Do I have a faulty Prius? Is there a battery pack that's not plugged in? Thoughts? Suggestions? Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Your range displayed is based upon your driving. There is nothing wrong.

Some get higher EV range estimates if their driving is more consistent with flat terrain, constant speeds etc. Some get lower is they have hilly terrain, alot of starts and stops etc.

If you're concerned that it is reading 10 and you just bought the car and it has read 10 since purchase it's probably low because people at the dealership were driving it or giving test rides in it. You could 'reset' it to read the 12 or 13 it does when 'new' (i forget the figure everyone had when first purchasing it, or even mine) by disconnecting the 12v battery but why bother IMO. Just let the car learn your routes and driving style etc and it'll self adjust to become more accurate. Just realize, whether it says 10 or 13 you still have the same kwh capacity in the battery after a full charge so it is just an estimate.

lensovet likes this.
  3. Ken Bruce

Ken Bruce New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Even before I started driving the Prius it read out 10 or less miles than the 12 I hear touted. I expect varying results based on my driving, but I'd also expect the number that is on the read out after a full charge should remain reasonably the same. Here's a better way of asking the question: After purchasing a brand new Prius plug in and charging it fully, what should the countdown mileage start at?

4. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    It will start at what the car estimates you'll get after a full charge based on past driving. So after buying a brand new Prius plug-in and full charging it it will display an estimate based on previous driving.

Were there miles on the car when you bought it? If there were, that means people drove it either test driving it or people at the dealership and it is already giving an estimate based on their driving. Or it could simply be giving an estimate which is 10 if your drive home yielded low range from the charge.

Basically there is no set range that should be displayed after a full charge.

5. Ken Bruce

Ken Bruce New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It had about two miles on it when I picked it up. And the EV battery was depleted.

6. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    If you want to reset it, disconnect the 12v battery and reconnect it after a bit. That'll reset the estimate like I mentioned above. Or just keep charging and driving it and let it evaluate and adjust on its own. The one thing I am fairly certain of is there is nothing wrong with your car

7. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    When I disconnected my battery and reconnected it, it read 13.3 EV miles, IIRC.

But as Paradox said, there's really no point in "resetting" it because it will ultimately just display an estimate based on your past driving history.

Also keep in mind that if the climate control FAN is ON, your EV miles will drop somewhere around 12-15% to account for the additional electrical load. It doesnt mean you've "lost" those EV miles just by turning on your fan, its just an estimate to account for some additional drain on the battery.

lensovet likes this.
  8. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ken, Try this, maybe will help!
    • What does the number of miles remaining number mean? Why does it keep dropping?
      It's purely an estimate based on your past driving history of how many miles you might be able to drive. It does NOT represent the capacity or charge level of the battery, only the battery graphic does. It can also be slow to reflect changes in driving behavior, and it is not currently known how much of a history (one week? One month?) it keeps. It is basically useless. I sometimes drive to a shelter by my house. The drive is 2.2 miles at 35 mph speeds and has drop in elevation of 175 feet. However, the estimated miles drop by only half a mile on this trip!
      It's dropping because the initial number of miles in the computer is around 13, which is fairly difficult to achieve in regular US driving. The number will eventually stabilize once it reaches what the car thinks is representative of your driving habits. In my case, this is 10.8 miles. Note that lower temperatures, increased use of climate control and lights, and low tire pressures will all decrease your range as well as your overall fuel economy.
      Relevant threads: Confused: Why does estimated EV miles keep dropping?, 12 miles EV after fully charged?, EV On/Off Charge Depletion Miles and Control Not Making Much Sense, After recharge how many miles be displayed?, EV Miles estimate after Full Charge LOW. How many miles at full charge?

Read more: http://priuschat.com/threads/the-one-and-only-prius-plug-in-faq.118566/#ixzz2JJrph2qo

lensovet likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    :sleep: you should get 12 miles like all the rest of us. welcome to priuschat. congrats on your new pip. pm me if you want to know the secret.

josh2008 and lensovet like this.
  10. retired4999

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Secret, Secret, What Secret!!!!:eek:

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no secret for you!:D

12. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Do a full charge. Reset one of the trip odometers. Drive some typical route you drive. Stop when you reach 0.0 miles remaining and the gas engine comes on. Note the distance that you've gone on the trip odometer. This is "your" estimated range on EV. Note that if the ICE comes on during your trip you can pull over and stop the car and restart it. Depending on why the ICE came on it may need to go through an entire warm up cycle.

The number shown is an estimate based on history and the current state of the HVAC.

Mike

13. retired4999

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    :cry:

14. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Something to keep in mind is that temperature has a major influence on what the EV estimate displays.

In the subzero temperatures, here, now, I'm seeing a value of 10.8 miles and getting roughly that from actual driving.

Back at the peak of summer, I was seeing around 13 and getting more than that. In fact, I got 17.5 miles on one especially nice morning commute.

If you'd like to learn more about how the system works and you have a smart-phone, consider purchase an bluetooth ODB2 reader. I just got one for less than $20. That along with the $5 app called Torque, you can see lots of information not revealed through the dashboard screens. It quickly gives you a strong appreciation for how well the system handles a complex array of driving parameters... and how it attempts to convey all that information in simple terms.

15. MDSurfer

MDSurfer MDSurfer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Bought my PIP on Dec. 30th and when I first got in the full charge mileage indicator had 13.1 miles of EV. Over the next two months, that full charge status slowly faded away to the point I'm at now after 5,400 miles, the full charge vaccilates between 8.7 and 9.0 miles. The dealership is scrambling to explain my lost miles, but the best they can come up with is that the car has "learned" my driving habits and responded accordingly. Ironically, my "driving habits" are to maximize every kw of juice for mileage by not using climate controls, cautiously accelerating while in EV mode, avoiding Power Mode at all costs, and doing a lot of coasting when I see a stoplight change to red ahead of me. i.e. no panic stops and a concerted effort to keep the wheels rolling to avoid a dead start when the light turns green. And for all these efforts, I lose full charge mileage. Maybe I'd better become much more careless an EV driver and see what that does. Oh, and the Toyota service bulletin they sent me refers to the "SOC (State of Charge) is calculated by the PCM (Power Control Module depending on factors such as climate control, et al. I don't think it justifies eroding full charge mileage.

Add to all this the fact that the dealership is also claiming I can access the "Charging Station Map" easily through my dash console. Remembering that what I have is the standard Plug-In and not the Advanced, they called me today saying they couldn't do it on one of their cars in the lot either. They'll work on it tomorrow and get back to me. Not to worry, the entire Eastern Shore of Maryland and Delaware only has four charging stations, three are at dealerships and one is at a college campus in Dover, the average distance between those stations is about 75 miles, so what's the point?

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's the question, isn't it? welcome to priuschat!

17. MDSurfer

MDSurfer MDSurfer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Indeed.

18. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    How many EV miles are actually driven verses the estimate value?

That is the point of a plug-in hybrid. Exclusively using electricity for acceleration is not efficient. You're far better off overall allowing the engine to run during times of high demand.

19. zdsco

zdsco Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, I want to know the secret, my prius EV dropped to 9.6. I only have 4500 miles.
    thank you
    Zackary

20. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That is an old 2004 article for a gasoline engine. You are getting 66% of your when new estimated distance for EV mode. Batteries are even more susceptible to cold than gasoline engines.
    Why is the fuel economy of an automobile worse in the winter than in the summer?: Scientific American
    2. Your EPA sticker (unfortunately, in tiny print) says "All Electric Range = 6 miles". You've already exceed EPA estimates in the cold of winter.
    Toyota Prius Plug-in EPA label.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    3. You're doing all the right things to maximize fuel economy. But if you're doing all these things and then hop on the freeway driving 75 mph . 9 miles EV is all you're going to get. I'm not saying you are doing that but there's more to maximizing fuel economy than just driving slowly. There's still a lot of technique left to learn. I'm sure you can find a lot of more information in this forum.
    4. Bisco's secret is patience. When the weather warms up, your mpg will rise, both gas and electric. FWIW, I went from 13.1 new in October to a low of 10.9 and now coming back up to 12.5. I live in temperate CA so my mpg and distance is not going to vary as much as Maryland.
    5. Don't forget to thank me in June when you are at 13.1 EV miles.