1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How Many Miles Should I Expect On My "05" Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Scott Dube, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Scott Dube

Scott Dube Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My 2005 Prius is always well maintained. With the care having 2 motors, one gas powered, and one electric, should I expect to get twice the mileage on this car. Currently have 134,000 and still runs like brand new. Any thoughts?

2. penquin230

penquin230 "Golden Hawk"

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I know several Prius owners with over 200k and one with over 350K...all with original traction battery...most changed brake pads after 150k ...2 said brake pads didn't look more than 25% worn. None of my friends had any issues. Just routine maintaince. keep tires inflated, oil changed every 10k, Trans fluid at 100k. ..you'll be golden..

3. SureValla

SureValla Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Currently at 176,000 on my '07, no issues runs like it did 100,00k ago. Looking to hit a few more years and then hope there is an affordable tesla out there!

4. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Affordable Tesla - good luck with that.

Elon was smart to focus on the deep pocketed.
    Why pursue the small fish when you can land the big tuna.

And the OP should be aware that there are two electric motor/generators - not one.

Merkey likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    3 times the mileage!;)

edthefox5 likes this.
  6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Or 3x the opportunity for a drivetrain failure?

Merkey and TheEnglishman like this.
  7. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I believe that Tesla has announced a 30k ish sedan to come out after the model x. Over time Tesla needs to build volume to create economies of scale and also to support the sort of infrastructure they need to have.

8. jadziasman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Luxury doesn't need volume to remain successful. BMW has prospered even though the company sells about 300K units per year in the U.S. Same for Mercedes. Porsche sells even fewer and has remained successful and profitable for ages.

9. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You are making my point. It is not as though Tesla will challenge VW, Toyota or GM for the sales lead anytime soon, they do need to make enough cars to be viable in the long term though. They are no way close to BMW or Mercedes in volume. Porsche was not a great example as they had issues until they started selling SUVs and sedans. And while it is a bit more than just financial, they are now part of the VW group so they are not even a stand alone company anymore.

It is hard to tell what the end game for Tesla will be - sell out to another car maker in the next few years or remain independent, but if they remain independent they will need a much wider range of models. You have to figure that is their plan, the NUMI plant they bought is huge and they also bought a test track. Right now they are selling Model S's as fast as they are made, but that will change. They will need a fuller model line to survive.

10. TheEnglishman

TheEnglishman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You should expect about 150K before a traction battery failure. Come on guys just because a few Priuses have gotten 300K+ miles doesn't mean that most should get 200K. Realistically most Priuses are sold at rock bottom prices when they hit 175K miles because then it's just a huge gamble.

11. jadziasman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What's a rock bottom price to you?

12. jadziasman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    But that doesn't mean they need a low price leader. Tesla's S currently has the largest and most expensive lithium ion battery in the marketplace. It's also the only one with a realistic 250 mile range for the top end model. That's Tesla's constraint until battery technology improves - and Tesla may provide that. And BTW, it's NUMMI.

13. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree.

kbb.com shows the value of a 2005 Prius w/"standard equipment", 175K miles to be $5.3K for private party sale of a car in excellent condition. Trade-in value is $3.8K. Dealer price is $6.5K.

Again, the above is for a car in excellent condition. Few of us who have logged 175K miles will be able to claim our car is in excellent cosmetic and mechanical shape.

Merkey and dorunron like this.
  14. jadziasman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So, $6.5K retail for a 9 year old Prius is "rock bottom"?

I think I'd look for another "rock bottom" car then. :rolleyes:

15. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I agree with Patrick concerning the average life expectancy of the Prius. Even Toyota has issued statements saying that the expected life of the Prius is 180K.

I posted that article recently in another string, but for some reason it seems to have been ignored. Will hybrid batteries last? - MSN Autos If you diligently search here on PC and elsewhere online there are reports of traction battery failure even before 100K. The Prius is a great car, but to expect it to last 300K under all conditions is a pipe dream. It boils down to how well one maintains their Prius as well as luck.

IMO, the Prius is simply a stepping stone to wean us off of gasoline and move us slowly to alternative fuel types. We have to remember that it takes a very long time for oil to form and mankind is depleting this resource considerably faster than mother nature is creating it.

Ron

Merkey and JMD like this.
  16. jadziasman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If y'all don't expect a gen 2 or 3 Prius to last until at least 200K miles (in a region without extreme heat or elevation) with the original traction battery, then you've wasted your $25K.

17. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not everyone buys new and pays 25K. You are basing your statement on assumptions. Only the rich and elite can afford to buy new cars. Most buy used to eliminate the depreciation once you drive that new car and it then becomes a "used" car.

Furthermore, I HOPE to see our Prius last 200K or longer. However I do expect as some point repairs will have to be made. Owning a car is not just putting gas and oil in it. All cars at some point or another will need to be repaired at some point in their lifetime.

Ron

18. priusevo

priusevo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I call BS on this I know at least 10 examples of Gen 2 here in Dallas that are at 200K and mine is at 270K with original brakes to boot!

jadziasman likes this.
  19. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Tons of info concerning life expectancy of the Prius is posted online. I will let the research speak for itself and let everyone make their own judgment.

Google

20. jadziasman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You run a single query on Google and that's your proof? Come on, Ron.

Only Toyota knows how many Gen 2 batteries they have replaced due to failure.
    Know any insiders there you can ask?

I have excluded rebuilds as that data is nearly impossible to combine.