1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How many of these "Obsolete Skills" do you have?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Rae Vynn, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Obsolete Skills

There's a fair number of these that I can claim...

2. schoonie

schoonie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That's quite a list. Although I can do many of them, I'm grateful for all the ones I didn't bother to acquire seeing as how they're obsolete.:couch2:

3. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What's so obsolete about cleaning fish? They're not extinct quite yet...
    And spelling? That's not obsolete, just ignored. Except for turning it into a competitive sport for kids.

4. ny biker

ny biker Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I had a chemistry teacher in high school who used to write this on the board before every exam: SPELLING ALWAYS COUNTS

5. RMLamp

RMLamp New Member

Seems like they were just adding things to the list to make it longer.

Cleaning fish obsolete? Hopefully I'll be practicing that skill tomorrow after we come back from a trip to the lake.

6. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    We've had this list before. It's a stupid list. It's two guys swilling beer and measuring themselves. One is a senior citizen survivalist and one is a 30 something yuppie IT.

I find this one particularly sexist. There are plenty of archaic skills that would be considered the "man's job", but I don't find that many that would be considered a "woman's work."

Since when is calling a phone sex line an essential skill?

Where is seating a toilet? Sweating a copper pipe? Laying ceramic tile? Plastering a ceiling? Mud and tape drywall? Building a brick in sand patio? Threading a fishing pole, hook, bait? Setting mouse traps. Cleaning trap under the sink? Resetting garbage disposal? Drywall, mud and tape?

Hand quilting a bedspread?

Making spaezle from scratch?

Separating an egg?

Beating egg whites with a whisk and copper bowl?

Baking bread from scratch?

Making pie crust from scratch?

I churned butter when I was 5. I cleaned a fish as a class demonstration when I was 12.

Hmm. I didn't see cleaning the carbon out of the circuit breakers for the house's main breaker box because you can't replace them and the arcing is building up carbon in the gap.

What about changing a fuse in the house's breaker box?

Mostly it's a sexist, redundant list with a lot of useless "skills" and leaving out some pretty essential skills.

7. judymcfarland

judymcfarland Queen of Moral Indignation

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Using a sliderule may be an obsolete skill (I actually taught sliderule use to high school juniors in my student teaching assignment), but using a sliderule required that you estimate the answer before the calculation, that you know about significant figures, and that you know a "bad" answer when you see one. As a former math teacher, I can tell you that the loss of these skills means our calculator-committed kids approach math like so many monkeys blindly pushing keys. :ranger:

8. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There are plenty of things on that list that are not obsolete, and plenty of obsolete skills that are not on the list.

Some skills are obsolete simply because we now hire people to do them and so don't need to know them ourselves. Try baking your own crackers. Try finding a recipe to bake your own crackers. We've been buying crackers for so long, we don't know how to make them anymore. I recently tried to find pattern and directions for proper academic regalia for my graduation. I'm using a pdf of the cutter's guide of 1898. I'm lucky I can read archaic tailor's patterns. But I'd never hand this off to a local dressmaker. Academic Regalia companies do it all for us now (and cheaply and badly.)

Other skills are obsolete simply because the technology doesn't exist anymore. Anyone loaded and fired a trebuchet lately? They still exist and a few still fire them. But all in all, a pretty obsolete skill.

9. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    A friend of mine has an ocean going sailboat with all the modern GPS and radio equipment. He also carries a sliderule, sextant, and paper charts. He says that the technology is great when it works, but he's not betting his life on it. Technology requires access to service, and some places he goes don't exactly have rapid access to that service.

One skill that seems to have been lost with the availability of calculators is estimation. Given some of the bloopers that computers come up with, perhaps there should be a separate math class dedicated to estimation.

10. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    In California, estimation is part of the sixth grade math standards. I used to hammer on it when I taught sixth grade. I would give them real life scenarios, like going to the store with $20.00 and estimating the stuff in the cart not to exceed $20.00 because you don't want to hold up the line and have all of the shoppers behind you irate and looking to jump you in the parking lot.

But I suspect by the time they graduate they can't even spell the word.

11. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I am shocked at how many I have. I am old.

12. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm shocked at what appear to be so many bizarre skills I've picked up over my life. Some not even on the list.

13. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Some of these I've learned due to curiosity, others when I was living a very 'back to the land' lifestyle (like, tanning a hide. I did that once).

My parents live off the grid in Idaho, and my dad has been a 'professional' re-enacter for many years (mountain man, gunslinger, black powder shooting).

I grew up with a fierce sense of self-reliance, so I learned how to do whatever I could that could ensure survival.

14. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is there a list of things we've forgotten that we shouldn't have? Like, tending a plot of vegetables? Culturing relationships with our neighbours? What fresh air smells like?

15. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Bollocks. How else are you gonna fling a golf ball 65 metres? That's about all mine could do, and quite accurately I might add. The diver's lead for the counter weight was massively expensive. I really should see those on Craig's list.

16. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    hey, i designed, built AND fired one back senior year of high school... it wasn't that long ago!

That being said, the only truly obsolete skills now a days are those that depend on technology that has been replaced/is no longer available. for example, 8-track tapes - i have no idea how to use them, nor will i ever need to. They aren't in production, and only exist in personal collections any more. Knowing how to properly load them into a player is, i would think, an obsolete skill.

Any skill that is still needed today, but that we farm out to others (say plumbing, for example) isn't obsolete, it's just specialized. There's no reason to expect that everyone do everything for themselves, specialization allows us to do a few things better than everyone else, and make use of others abilities as well.