1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

how many original Rav4 EV's left?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by psikot, Jan 17, 2008.

1. psikot

psikot New Member

i was driving down 101 near San Jose and saw a Rav4 EV get on the freeway and speed off in the HOV lane. I was wondering how many of these 2002 electric vehicles are still driving around?

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    About 300 were actually sold to the public. The others were crushed. Many of the 300 are still on the road.

JeffD

3. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring

Why in the world would they have crushed them?? :eek:

4. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    go and see the movie "ho killed the electric car";)

5. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yeah i was surprised to see one after I saw the movie, they are in high demand, they were probably only around $30,000 new but the one I saw sold on eBay last year used for around $50,000.

it was weird-looking because it was the only rav4 I've never seen w/o a spare tire on the tailgate, maybe the rav4EV used runflats to save on weight like the mini cooper.

for $50,000 that person could have bought 3 quality used cars and had 3 EV conversions performed on them.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    $40k when new. There was a gov't incentive that brought it down to $20 or $30k.

7. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well, not really. You can do a decent lead acid conversion for $8-$12k. Thats a good 9" DC motor (like a Netgain Warp or ADC), Zilla 1k controller, AGM batteries (probably Orbitals or Optimas), a programmable PFC charger & battery balancer (like manzanita micro) plus all the contactors, interlocks, instrumentation, cables, etc. Then you still have to do all the work, or pay someone quite a bit more for labor. In a RAV4 (add $5-6k for a decent used donor) this would probably give you performance approaching that of the original, but you'd be doing well to end up with an at speed (55mph) range of 40 miles :( On top of that you are looking at ~$3k every 1-2 years for a new battery pack if its your daily driver. You can always cut corners to make it cheaper, but you will be sacrificing range, performance, safety and reliability.

To get a quality AC motor & controller & Li-ion battery system with BMS you are talking more in the $30k+ sort of range. That would probably meet or exceed the RAV4 EVs original ~100 mile range. If NimH were available it might only be $20k but they are not really (maybe Nilar will solve this eventually.)

There is a reason those things are so sought after. Quality EV conversions are possible, but given the extreme low volume and scarce availability of many of the components its not cheap.

Rob