1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How many times have you been warned/reprimanded by the mods?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by burritos, Dec 3, 2007.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Did it make you change your ways?

Warned 3 times. Reprimanded with a 3 day ban once.

It has changed my tone(if you can believe that). It's also kept me from posting about 30% of posts I would have posted in the past. In other words, I'll re read my posts and think about it before hitting the submit button.

2. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Your closing sentence should be SOP without needing to have had your hand slapped.

But it is kinda frightening how ugly our first impulses are, that going back & re-reading our responses has to be a conscientiously applied habit; that reason, civility, respect, decorum and decency are NOT our default reaction to disagreement or misunderstanding, even though they are consistently the best and most effective approach to resolving either, while our inate reflex to lash out and throw daggers almost always makes the situation worse. More proof that we're not so far removed from the ruthless, mindless life we used to live in the trees than we like to admit.

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA

3. bat4255

bat4255 2017 Prius v #2 and 2008 Gen II #2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I do find myself having to wait a while (cool off period) before responding sometimes. Then I just consider the source, and respond accordingly. My hats off to the administrators, and moderators.

I have been warned once (on another forum). Now I'm a moderator on that forum.
    I think it is a form of punishment:rolleyes:

4. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Zero, I'm proud to say. I aim to be respectful of others even in disagreement. I probably don't always succeed, but I've never failed badly enough to warrant moderator action.

5. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Warned once, but boy was that guy asking for it! :D

I think the way to avoid being warned, or even needing to keep a level head about responses, is to stay out of FHOP!! Now you've all been warned ;)

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I was warned once, 2 or 3 years ago. I had made a harsh and blanket statement about SUV drivers, prompted by my observation of how few of them seemed to be able to keep their very wide vehicles entirely within their lane. A mod who unfortunately no longer seems to be active on PC warned me about my use of an especially unflattering word applied across the board to all drivers of a particular class of vehicle.

Generally, however, I consider my language carefully, and proof-read twice, or more, before posting.

My opinion on the subject has not changed. But this board belongs to Danny, and the mods are his representatives, and he and they have a right to set limits, and while nobody is perfect, they've done very well for the most part.

7. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i didn't get a formal warning, but the consensus was that i was too harsh on one occasion. we all have our bad days.

8. moxiequz

moxiequz Weirdo Social Outcast

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Zero times so far. I think it helps that I generally stay away from the political threads. Current events generally get my blood boiling pretty fast.

9. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I got a warning for referring to one of the members as a specific breed of canine, but I won't go into details here.

10. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    What? Not a poll question? This would have made for a great poll question if the OP allowed the 'out-the-voters' feature.

ME: I don't think I have been, at least nothing more than maybe a finger wiggle from a mod or two.

BUT . . . I could easily get someone else in trouble by forwarding a profanity laced PM to the mods.:eek:

11. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    0 times.

But I make a conscious effort to be civil, and to avoid gratuitous remarks, name calling or ad hominem attacks.

One thing I especially like about PriusChat is the overall civility of the discourse here. I think the moderators of PriusChat deserve a lot of credit for that, notwithstanding their own apparent penchant for calling people trolls.

12. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Too bad MysterySquid isn't around, I'll bet he'd have some tales to tell. He's probably in the hall of fame.

13. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had the spelling of one post 'corrected' for me when I told Ann Coulter to do something anatomically impossible. When did asterisks become part of the alphabet? :eek:

And, there was one less-than-pleasant exchange of PMs with a moderator, a long time ago, when I came to the aid of a couple of friends, neither of whom post here any more.

Other than that, Santa, I've been a good boy. :rolleyes:

14. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    me?? heck, i dont know... lost count a long time ago...if i had to guess, i would say maybe a half dozen times??

we all have bad days, including me. i have had a few posts that were deleted or edited by mods, there have been a few i did before they got to it.

ya... small foot, big mouth, fits with plenty of room to spare...

no biggie. i aint perfect and dont claim to be.

15. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It seems Evan and I have become pretty close back in the early days of my finding this forum because he sent me quite a few PMs and I sent him a few also. :eek:

I have learned that when a stupid question is asked it pays to bite your lip before spitting out an answer. Questions like do you hate me for commuting in a truck? I got hauled over the coals for saying a person who steals is a thieving "clot".

I also have pressed the "back" button rather than the "submit reply" button on several occasions. I'm a red head of Irish/Scot descent, what do you do? I try to be a good citizen, really I do.

16. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    None so far...but I have been banned from religious forums for my 'liberal' ways, and I was banned (then re-instated), from another forum, which did teach me to mind my
    p's and q's, which I am not sure anyone knows what that means anymore.​

17. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Darnit, wheres Mystery Squid when we need him......:eek:

This seems kinda like a personal question here Burritos.

This would have made a good polling question!

I would say I had a week off, and warned a few times. Also had an email consultation..

So yes its better to take a breather before replying, or in some cases step up to the line and do not cross it.....;)

I do have respect for the Mods as they have a simaler job in that they have to POLICE the boards.. Its a 60% thankless job, And we all end up showing our butts every now & then...

Im also glad to see the Mods do not hold grudges..

18. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I don't think that counts as a warning/reprimand. I think the software automatically substitutes asterisks in certain words. I find that amusing, as the word is still perfectly clear. But I suppose Danny can then say that he does not permit "dirty" words.

I participated very briefly on a forum that prohibited words commonly used as substitutes for "bad" words. You could not say "heck," because it was understood to be a substitute for "hell." Similarly "s**t" would be prohibited, as was a string of symbols such as "#$%@" because it was understood that the intent was the same as using a "bad" word. Using any of these things would get a reprimand, and a repetition or two of such usage would get you banned. (A profuse apology could get you re-instated, if you convinced the mod that you were genuinely repentant.) But admitting that you held a belief unacceptable to the board's owner was grounds for permanent banning. I left before being banned.

19. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i dont know about those bad words being eliminated because i was yelled at for using one... of course that was about 3 servers ago i think. it might work now... but i think someone else should volunteer to try it.

20. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Must've been a computer operating system chatboard :p