1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How many times have you seen this?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by molgrips, Jul 13, 2006.

1. molgrips

molgrips Member

Went to the movies the other night, the only other car in the carpark was one of these weird looking things. So I had to park right next to it :) There must be like three Prii in Cardiff - I reckon I could count all my sightings in this country on two (or maybe three) hands. Cardiff is a pretty provincial place too, so that makes me even more surprised. :eek:

[attachmentid=4133]

Anyone else seen this yet?

2. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(molgrips @ Jul 13 2006, 11:05 AM) [snapback]285749[/snapback]</div>
    Boy, you Welsh REALLY ARE funny--you have THREE hands? :rolleyes:

I don't know if it's like when one is pregnant or what, but I sure am NOTICING lots more Prii since I got mine. The funniest thing was yesterday afternoon, when I walked out my office door, right onto a fairly quiet side street in a tiny downtown...right in front of my door were TWO Prii and and an Insight, all lined up in a row! Not as cute as yours, since none of these were the same colo(u)r. ;)

3. Miss_Taz

Miss_Taz New Member

What would be even funnier is if you had taken one of those little "model sized " Prius cars (like 1/16th of the size), put it between the two above and taken the picture.

It would have been like Mommy Prius, Daddy Prius & baby Prius! HAHA!

:-D

4. molgrips

molgrips Member

Heh... I saw my first ever insight actually just a few days beforehand, in a neighbouring carpark. Do you guys actually see them around the place?

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  6. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(molgrips @ Jul 13 2006, 01:05 PM) [snapback]285749[/snapback]</div>
    I think the one on the left is better looking.

7. pirateprius

pirateprius New Member

Eastern North Carolina, Home of the ECU Pirates
    Saw 2 prii (not the same color) parked next to each other in the public parking area next to my office building the other. With a third one just across the way. My black beauty was parked behind the building and couldn't see them. Couldn't help thinking it would be nice if they could breed - how do you tell a male from a female??? :p

8. wstander

wstander New Member

We toured our extended neighborhood looking for landscape ideas and noted at one house:

a first gen

a blue 2nd gen

a white 2nd gen with no plates/dealer placard

Sooo, while we were in front of that house, a Google Earth shot would have included our silver 2005!

At my job, there is a blue gen2 and another coworker is awaiting his 2006 drifwood; there is also a CNG Civic.

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just realised. I don't recognise the plate on the left. I'm more familiar with the plate on the right. (That and I've been out of touch on UK licence plates). Is it safe to say that the one of the left is newer? (not just b/c of the car but the way the numbers and letters are setup). i.e. the 55 plate is a 2006 car, 54 is 2005 etc.

10. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jul 13 2006, 08:45 PM) [snapback]285980[/snapback]</div>
    The CF means Cardiff. The 55 means that the car was first registered between 1 July and 31 December 2005. The remaining letters are random. A car registered earlier in the year would be 05. Cars registered this year are either 06 or 56.

The car on the right has not got a typical UK plate. I think the Z in it shows that it's Irish, but I'm not sure.

11. molgrips

molgrips Member

The one on the right is a vanity plate of some kind. I don't quite know how they managed to get that particular combination of numbers, as the sequence is strictly controlled.

The one on the left (mine) has the new style number plates as of 2001, and is as follows:

C means Wales (Cymru in the native language)
    CF means Cardiff
    55 means the latter half of 2005. The sequence started on 01 in 2001, 0 means first half of the year, 5 means second half of the year.
    RRX are just letters :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_car_number_plates

12. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Reminds me of a story told about the late Richard Feynman, physics Nobel laureate and general fun guy. One of his students came in and said, "I just saw a license plate that said "QUARKS." What's the chance of that?" Feynman didn't answer but came in the next morning and shouted, "Hey! I just saw a license plate that said "5SNU483." What's the chance of that?"

About 100% in both cases, I think.

13. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(molgrips @ Jul 14 2006, 05:26 AM) [snapback]286141[/snapback]</div>
    I don't think the one on the right is a vanity plate. This is the sort of 3-letter (inc Z) and 4-number plate they have (or had) in Northern Ireland. The mid-20th century English plates had a maximum of 3 letters followed by only 3 numbers. The current 55 plates were cars registered between 1 September 2005 and 28 Feb 06. The new 56 will be on cars from 1 Sept 2006-28 Feb 2007

14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    wow... goodness.. so many things to remember hehe. I just assumed that it was 3 letters and 4 numbers as in HK under the british rule.