1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How many volts does the GEN III AC Compressor run at?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by BrettS, May 3, 2011.

1. BrettS

BrettS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just got a scangauge and I've been playing around with it a bit. One of the xgauges I set up shows the number of watts that the AC compressor is drawing. However, I'd really rather see that in amps, so I can see exactly how much of the draw on the battery is from the AC.

I was a bit surprised to see that the AC was drawing 1750 watts when I first started the car... but in it's defense, it was nearly 90 degrees out and the car had been in the sun, so the interior was probably much warmer than that. After the car had been running for a while and the interior had cooled down it dropped to only 650 watts.

However, seeing this certainly explains why I have a hard time keeping the SOC high as I leave work in the evenings... and also why I get better fuel economy overall in the mornings... the AC is drawing quite a bit of power when I first start out after the car has been sitting in the sun all day.

So, after all that, does anyone know how many volts the compresor runs at so I can do a conversion from watts to amps?

Thanks,
    Brett

2. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    What you presumably want is the number of amps out of the battery, right? In that case, you don't even need the compressor's voltage - you need the battery's voltage! Otherwise, you're getting the amps to the compressor, not the amps out of the battery.

You could use the battery's nominal voltage (201.6V) as a starting point. A different number might be more accurate considering that the voltage can vary, but I don't know what it would be. I'll assume that you know how to fiddle with the MTH field for the ScanGauge to get the right values...

3. BrettS

BrettS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No no... I already have the gauge that shows the current coming out of the battery, but I was hoping to see how much of that current is going to the AC compressor. It seems to be a pretty significant number when it's 90 degrees out and the interior of the car is probably well over 100.

I have been playing around with it a little and I did find that 201.6 number so I started there, but it seems that comes up a little low. I discovered that I can get pretty consistent numbers by stopping the car and watching the battery amps as I turn the climate control on and off, then subtracting. I'm playing around with the MTH field to try to get my reading to match those numbers, but I still have some work to do. I'll post my results here when I finish.

Thanks,
    Brett

4. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unlike MG2/MG1, the A/C compressor is driven by DC-AC inverter from HV battery directly.

Ken@Japan

5. wesayso

wesayso Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OK, so what's the voltage?

6. BrettS

BrettS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think he was confirming Mac's suggestion that it runs at the battery's nominal voltage of 201.6. I played around with it a bit more and now I'm thinking that number is correct.

One thing that I overlooked yesterday is the fact that this number only shows the AC compressor current... but the blower motor draws a bit of current too... as much as 2A when it's on high.

When I was doing my testing yesterday I was turning the whole climate control system (including the blower motor) on and off to see what effect that had on the battery amps, but today I just turned the AC compressor on and off and left the blower running and it looks like it's right.

Here's the info for the AC Amps XGauge if anyone wants to try it...

07E2217D/0461857D0000/3808/00F800640000/ACa

1 person likes this.
  7. tomlouie

tomlouie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So does this amp reading include the blower motor or not?

8. BrettS

BrettS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No, this is just the AC Compressor. I was able to make a reasonably accurate guess about the amount the blower motor draws by turning the car on, but leaving it parked, turning the AC off, then turning the blower motor on and off as I watch the total amp draw from the battery.

As far as I know, there is no PID that will tell you exactly how much the blower motor is drawing.

9. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You misunderstood me. What I meant is this: you already have the battery current gauge, telling you that it's drawing, say, 5 amps. What you want is an AC current gauge that tells you that 3.5 of those amps are going to the AC compressor, or whatever. For this, you want 201.6 (or even better, the actual battery voltage), regardless of what the AC compressor runs at. Otherwise, say the AC were a 100 Volt system, then 1000 Watts would be 10 Amps, yet the battery amp gauge would only be 5 Amps. So the AC compressor voltage doesn't matter one bit.

Glad you figured something out. I long ago decided that the AC watts gauge wasn't very useful for me. The exact amount isn't terribly important to me, I just want to minimize it - and I know exactly how to do so without a gauge; if it's not too unpleasant, I leave AC off. If it is, then I put it on set to as high a temperature as tolerable. Unless of course I'm going down a mountain and have more regen than I know what to do with, and then I'm happy to turn it down to 65°. :D

10. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, the nominal voltage is 201.6V, or 1.2V/cell.
    However, the battery voltage depends on charge/discharge current and SOC.
    Please refer to following graph taken by myself sometime ago.
    time ICE rpm accelerator (%) current volt SOC
    1 4:03:35-4:03:37 2240rpm 68(34%) -4.8/+3.0A 230-231V 62.5%
    2 4:03:37-4:03:54 max 5024rpm 200(100%) max 154.3A min 181V min 59.5%
    3 4:03:54-4:03:55 960rpm 0(0%) min -25.6A 228V 59.5%

Ken@Japan

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  11. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    People are usually surprised when they find out how powerful car ACs are.

1750 Watts = 2.3 HP, that's very reasonable for initial cool down power draw on an automotive AC. Car ACs commonly run 20k BTU to 35k BTU cooling capacity, about the capacity of a really big wall unit or small whole house unit. The Prius unit is probably somewhat smaller capacity since they have more control over it because of the electric motor driven compressor instead of a belt drive off the engine.

12. jchen4

jchen4 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello,

I'm trying to use the 2011 Prius refrigerant compressor to make a stand alone air conditioner and I would like to send the correct signals to the built in inverter to make the compressor run. This seems to be a 4 wire Serial Peripheral Interface (SPI) bus running at 12 Volts DC. Can anyone please help me find the correct protocol to use to communicate with the compressor? In the Prius, the Power Management module is the master that talks to the compressor as the slave and sends the required RPM. The Power Management module communicates via the CAN bus.

Does the CAN bus run on 12 Volts DC?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

13. James Finch

James Finch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did you find out any more regarding and make any theoretical or applied progress?

I'm starting to see these parts cost effectively worth investing in for studying, learning and practical applications. Now that I own two inverter/converters and a CVT that I picked for an amazing price just to disassemble and learn what I can make from them along with learning the associated design paradigms of thinking, I'm ready to start studying the designs more. I plan to first read and watch some Weber State University videos regarding.

Would be nice if there was an itemized source. I'm guessing there are details in the open source inverter/converter controllers documents or at least code that will elucidate some info that can be itemized for easy design planning.

Anyone know of any other possible references?

While on the AC compressor topic; what's the operating potential and current range of the Gen 3 AC compressor and the control signals details?

14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    As mentioned upthread, it has the traction battery voltage coming in, which is nominally 201.6 VDC but can move around rather a lot, from up to 240ish during regen braking or heavy charging down to 190ish or maybe even lower under heavy loads and low state of charge.

Values I've seen of the "AC watts" PID have been up around 2 kW during initial cooling of a hot car, so that would indicate a maximum current of ten-ish amps.

The most info I've ever seen about the control signals is what you'll find in the repair manual (more info) section for the trouble code B1498, which includes a diagram of the connections between the compressor and the power management control ECU.

Seeing that the connections are called CLK, DIN, DOUT, and STBI allows you to do some not-completely-wild-guessing, but beyond that, I haven't seen more documentation. A lazy afternoon with a four-channel scope might bring some insights.