1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How much advanced warning?

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by egale, Nov 11, 2009.

1. egale

egale New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a II on order. The dealer told me 2 to 8 weeks and it has now been 6 weeks. I spoke to them about a week and a half ago and they told me the order was "on track" for the 11/19 estimated delivery date on the sales order.

How far in advance does the dealer know when the car will be delivered? How soon when they know will they let me know?

2. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I remember the last few days; I was visiting my dealer every night.

If your Prius is on track for an 11/19 delivery, the dealer should have paperwork and a VIN to show you. My Gen III arrived at the dealer's lot on 5/27/09 and I had an allocation document with my VIN on 5/15/09.

Good luck and enjoy.

1 person likes this.
  3. egale

egale New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Called the dealer today. Got a VIN. Car is scheduled for 11/17 at the dealer so 11/18 or 19 for me!!!!

4. going red baby!

going red baby! still a n00b

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Is there a reason to get your vin/allocation document before you get the car? Mine's going to be at the port 11/16-11/23.

5. egale

egale New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not really except I now have some tangible proof that the car really exists rather than an "it's on track" dealer statement.

It is so easy to get new insurance cards and financing now that I can't think of any other reason to get the vin number before hand.

BTW, my prius is red!

6. egale

egale New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just an FYI update. Although the saleman told me the car would be delivered to them on the 17th and I would be able to pick it up on the 18th, it didn't happen.

I called the dealership twice yesterday to inquire if the car came in. My salesman was off and both people I spoke to told me the car isn't here, don't call us again. We will call you when it is here.

I can't believe they are as surprised as I am when they get a delivery!

7. fintonissimo

fintonissimo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just took delivery 1 week ago of a pre-ordered 2010 Corolla, ordered Sept. 14th (couldn't get my wife interested in the 2010 Prius!). In the time span from the time I made a deposit and the actually delivery of the car, there were 5 different time frames that the dealer told me in regards to its arrival. Like you, I was suspicious as to how the dealer wouldn't be able to track the delivery time and know exactly when it would be arriving. At one point, I had the manager call to find out what was going on; and while I was standing there, he asked whoever he was talking to why the delivery times were so inaccurate. He apparently didn't get much of an answer. It might not be the dealer's fault...the manager seemed just as surprised as I was.

8. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    They really know their delivery dates; they're just too lazy to be helpful.

It will arrive today. Good luck and enjoy your new baby.

9. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That is surprising to me that the dealer cannot give you better information. My car was shown on the dealer's website as being available August 30 when I made my deposit on August 19.

The salesman told me that he would be able to give me a better date when the car reached the port at Jacksonville, FL. Once the boat arrived, he was able to tell me five days max after loading on a truck. The car actually arrived at their dealership two days early.