1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How much cargo?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by jchilton, May 23, 2009.

1. jchilton

jchilton Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just picked up my black, '09, package #4 yesterday, replacing a 1992 Ford Taurus (104k miles). I love my Prius! Absolutely fantastic car.

One question, though. Occasionally I bring home heavy stuff from the home improvement store. The users manual is nice enough to inform me what the total amount of cargo I can haul is (801 pounds minus the occupants, if I recall correctly). But am I asking for trouble putting most of that weight in the back? How sturdy is that panel that fits over the big bin that hides the spare tire? Any danger of bending/warping/breaking that?

2. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    If it's really heavy (approaching the load capacity) then I would fold down the back seats (or just use the backseats) and try to distribute the weight more evenly. Also you may need to secure the load to prevent shifting. Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  3. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hobbit made a plywood insert for heavy hauling. This and other modifications described here:

Stuff yer Prius

2 people like this.
  4. jchilton

jchilton Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Doc Willie, and 2009Prius: Thanks! That was a big help. I might have to build my own freight bed for hauling the occasional load of bricks back from Lowe's. Though I gotta say, the pictures in Doc's link were almost scary! Is that Prius abuse? ;)

5. GreenPri2009

GreenPri2009 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I loved Doc Willie's site!! OMG, that's what I call use and abuse!
    And to think I was worried about fitting things for a week's trip on the Prius!!!