1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How much current available for a new audio install?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Chucka, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Chucka

Chucka Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Once we have solved the AVI-LAN control problem, how much current do we safely have in the Prius to make available for a new audio install including sub?

2. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Well, the battery has a 150A fuseable link, the DC/DC converter a 100A fuseable link, though I think it outputs 80A safely.

The power windows have a 30A fusable link.
    Power outlets are rated for 10A output each but have 15A fuses each.

3. gschoen

gschoen Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Are the power outlets fused seperately? My manual and a warning inside the console warned not to exceed 10A/120W combined between the two of them

4. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gschoen\";p=\"82314)</div>
    The power outlets are rated, as you say, for 10A/120W. I don't think it says combined. The outlets are fused each with 15A fuses. I suppose they say 10A for safety margin.

But then, let me check the upline fuses. They may be fused 15A each, but could be limited at their common point.

5. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

OK, one outlet has 15A fuse connected to 100A fusable link, but is switched by a relay on the load side of the fuse. This is for the dash outlet, which is why the mod works so well.

Now the console outlet 15A fuse shares a 25A ACC-B fuse with a 7.5A ACC fuse.

So, you can safely draw 10A, maybe a bit more from each fuse, though that would limit what you could draw for other accessories from the outlets.