1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How Much Deposit is Enough?

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by dvdirv, Jun 28, 2005.

1. dvdirv

dvdirv Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just bought a Prius from a dealer whose financing fell through from another customer.

But before I found that dealer, another dealer required a $1000 deposit in order to place a "hold" on an allocated Prius coming to the dealership later in the month.

After placing the deposit, I got to thinking that $1000 was high, when a $500 deposit would have been more reasonable. After all, it would not have been a problem for the dealer to sell the Prius when it arrived.

What is the typical deposit on a Prius going for these days?

2. EricC

EricC New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I got quoted a $200 deposit at Bob Bridge in Seattle,WA. If they had quoted $1000 I would have walked out asap.

3. HYACK

HYACK New Member

IMO, if you have chosen a dealership to do business with, and you have confirmed selling price, requirements met, etc (BEFORE you put any deposit down) then it is irrelevant if you put down $200 or $2,000 for deposit.

Figure at least $2k down payment minimum, to walk out the door...including taxes, title and first month, whatever... so just apply that 2k deposit towards any minimum cash payment to drive off!

If you are in any way disappointed with their handling your wait period, or disappointed with the financing they offer you after the car arrives, etc, and you seriously want to shop at a different dealership.. just take back your deposit and go!

I just wouldn't be too scared with what the dealer is asking therefor.. let him have his little kick off this, and then tell him he owes you something in return! ;)