1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How much does each charge cost or at least how could I calculate?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Joe Wall, Aug 12, 2024 at 11:58 AM.

1. Joe Wall

Joe Wall Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I believe it is like 1.6 kw and I'd just need to multiply by the cost. I'm a travel nurse and looking at housing. A landlord asked so I'm just trying to do the calculations for her.

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What car are you asking about? Your profile shows a 2009 Prius, which should not be plugging in at all, therefore having no plug-in electric charge cost.

3. Joe Wall

Joe Wall Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    2017 Toyota Prius Prime. bought one this year

bisco likes this.
  4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I see its battery listed as 8.8 kWh, though a standard 'full charge' will use significantly less than that. I must let others chime in on how much it actually uses, after safety/buffer margins are set aside.

What is your local electric energy rate per kwh? If you don't know, then tell us the name of the local utility, we can look up its rate sheet online.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i divide my electric bill by the number of kwh used. we're currently around 40 cents per kwh, one of the highest in the nation. a prime would cost me around $2.50 per full charge, and then you have to estimate number of monthly charges.
    they make inexpensive meters you can place between your evse and the wall plug to shoe the landlord total kwh used.

6. Joe Wall

Joe Wall Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'll be in Tuscon about 17 cents per kwh I'll looking up online. This is not where my primary residence is.

bisco likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    one thing to be careful about. in some states or utilities, advertised kwh price is a small part of the bill.
    ours is only 15 or 20 cents. the rest is made of of nonsense charges to get around regulators.
    and some states or utilities have 'time of use', allowing you to charge off peak at a lower rate.

8. Joe Wall

Joe Wall Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Where can I get one of these meters?

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm not sure, try amazon, etc. or electrical supply houses.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    home depot 300905368

and i think they make them for 240v as well.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    amazon B0838L6G89

i forget what wall plug configuration the prime evse has

12. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I'm going to assume your going to plug into a 110VAC socket, Just remember that the car is going to draw 13A off a 15A circuit breaker, so anything else on that circuit can trip the household circuit breaker, while your charging.
    If your down to the HV portion of the pack, it's usually around 6 Kwh to recharge the pack. I'd round up to 7 just to be fair. So around $1.20 a day, assuming your burning the entire 25 miles and recharging everyday. IMHO, all the other 'junk' electricity charges/fees shouldn't impact that, since it's part of the overall bill for the rest of the house/apartment anyways. The landlord could probably even get a bill credit/discount, if they register your car - check with the local utility. I get a penny/Kwh off for whatever I use from midnight to 0600, which is when I set my car to recharge.

Hope this helps....

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    unfortunately, our junk charges are tied to kwh usage. if they are fixed cost, ignore them.

14. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Amazon has plenty. Many hardware stores ought to have something. "Kill-A-Watt" is the traditional standard, with several versions now, but there are plenty of other similar products competing in the market now.

At that rate, a your Prius Prime should cost in the general vicinity of $1 per electric full-up.

Tucson Electric Power (TEP) has several different residential and business (including multi-family) rate plans, you'll need to check with the landlord what plan the dwelling unit is on.

Rates – Tucson Electric Power

TEP appears to show bundled rates for each plan, with a separate list below breaking out all the components in that bundle.
    North American Prius and RAV4 Primes come with a factory EVSE plugging into standard 120V wall outlets. For any 240V charging from different outlets, you must acquire your own aftermarket EVSE.

#14 fuzzy1, Aug 12, 2024 at 4:28 PM
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2024 at 5:02 PM