1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How much does stupidity cost?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by untitledblue, Oct 7, 2009.

1. untitledblue

untitledblue New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just backed into a pole while trying to park....can anyone give me a rough estimate of the damage cost? My deductible is $500. Ugh, this stinks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. philobeddoe

philobeddoe ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    don't be too hard on yourself, everyone makes mistakes

anyway you cut it, you're out five hundred bucks, so overall cost shouldn't matter

good luck :thumb:

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It should buff out.

Ok, seriously, yeah, it'll cost you around $500.
    Besides, you should see my hood. There's a reason I haven't posted any front-end pictures of my car in a while.

4. Fstr911

Fstr911 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    No big deal....everyone has done something like that at one time or another.

It will only cost you your deductable. I'm sure you've wasted more money on other stuff you didn't need in the past.

Get that sweet machine back to wear it needs to be!

5. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It will cost about $1000 for the bumper + $300 for the tail light (parts+labor) if you replace them with new parts. Of course, in reality, it could be just your deductible.

6. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's just a little inattention don't beat yourself up so much! That being said, I love my back-up camera!

7. blueumbrella

blueumbrella Member of Prius Regeneration

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ouch! I do appreciate you sharing your story and photos, even though I know it hurts. My take away is a reminder for me to slow down and to look a number of times whenever I back-up. I still find seeing clearly a little challenging when backing because of the very different perspectives you get from the back-up camera, the rear-view mirror, and turning around and looking.

I was getting out of my car in the parking garage (several days ago) and could not help but admire the pristine Blue (the color I wanted) 2010 Prius just getting ready to back out. I turned to get something out of my car and noticed it moving pretty fast (beyond my comfortable level) and then heard a very loud bang. The lady driving had backed into one of the 5 foot wide concrete support beams. She was OK, but in tears talking about what her husband would say when he finds out what she did to his car. I don't know if she learned anything, but I am more careful then ever.

8. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I am not sure about the lens/cover, but the bumper is plastic so you can just leave it alone if you want to save money. Good luck! :)

9. untitledblue

untitledblue New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm just wondering if I bring up a claim, won't my insurance go up after an annual review?

10. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    Usually not the first time. Just don't do it again!

11. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Obviously it was because The Prius is so quiet. I bet that pole just walked right in the way. Next time roll down the window, stick your head out, look back and make a whooping sound....

12. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    my repair estimate was $1100... but not my fault, so i cashed check from other driver, went to Toyota, bought bottle of touchup for $12...

what can i say...if within 40 feet, the damage is noticeable...bummer.

i then immediately spent $50 on dinner for family and half gallon of Rocky Road to drown my sorrows... i am good now

but seriously, the SPM was backed into and also had damage primarily on back bumper. its plastic so cant be fixed. replacement cost was around $1300

13. bogeybob513

bogeybob513 rtc513

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Doesn't look like much damage except for the broken tail light. I'd try buffing it out and touching it up.

14. chinna

chinna Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It does look like much damage to me at all. I see corner of the tail light cracked little bit, but it is not part of the main lense it seems.

I would first try to buff it out, then use some polishing compound and see how it looks like. If needed touch up the top corner of the bumper, then polish again.

After that it should not be that much noticable, but if it is and want to get it fixed professionally, then you can decide at that time. I would not be willing to shell out $500 without trying out alternatives first.

Actually if you can find a small body shops, they may be able to fix it up less than your deductible. Also remember this, your insurance premium will raise only if repair cost exceed certain amount( depending on state/insurer).

BTW, forgot to mention, I was able to buff out similar scratch on my wifes car(it is little less deep), but I was surprized I was able to buff it off.

15. doctorman

doctorman Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    get a tail light for 100$ or so
    I can for sure get it for you for around 150$

get a touch up paint and some compound touch it up and dont worry about it

honestly leave the tail light alone too it is fine as long as it works and it is barely visible
    just put some clear glue so water doesn't get in

you can find a cheap mechanic to change the taillight for 50-80$
    dont bother with insurance
    not worth it

16. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    A broken tail light may cause other electrical failures in heavy rains or after taking it thru auto carwash. At least, patch up the hole.

17. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The tail light can be purchased new for under $200, it is easy to change yourself. You can get a body shop to repaint the bumper also about $200. Don't bother your insurance company, your rate will go up until they get there money back, at least that is what they did to me.

18. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't get it -- some people when they go to back up, just nail
    it and LURCH backwards, and then if they have any time to
    realize something's behind them they LURCH to a dead stop and
    repeat. It's a style thing I'll never understand. The Prius
    is great for backing gently, using just the creep and feathering
    back into Neutral every so often to just drift slowly out of
    wherever while leaving plenty of time to check all the views.
    Now if something's just plain under the sightlines, and you don't
    have the 'cam, that's mildly different but if one's style doesn't
    permit hitting it very fast in the first place, that mitigates
    the potential damage.
    _H*

19. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I have done that twice in my life time to two different cars. The problem is you can't see the concrete footing of the lamp pole. You think you have a foot of clearance from the pole, but the footing get you on the fender.

20. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That was something I'd been wondering about. Is it safe (for the transmission) to feather it between N and R when reversing instead of feathering the brakes. I did it that way a few times but I was never sure if it might be bad for the transmission so I decided to be safe and just use the brake.

I guess the thing I was unsure about was if it's safe to roll backwards in neutral. So just to confirm, is it definitely safe for the transmission to switch back and forth between R and N when reversing?

Thanks.