1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How much does Toyota charge for a new Amplifier?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Chucka, Apr 3, 2005.

1. Chucka

Chucka Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Does anyone know what Toyota charges for a new amplifier (stock unit) for the Prius (with Navigation)?

I am also curious what Toyota charges for replacement (stock) woofer and tweeters?

2. bobc

bobc New Member

Hi Chucka,

I don't know the prices but my guess is that they are exorbitant.

I know nothing of the amp other than what I've read here but as for the speakers, you probably know that they are substandard in sound and quality. They're made of cheap materials, including plastic, and can't compare to even bottom tier stuff at aftermarket shops.

The little biddy black thing that looks like a transistor on the tweeter is the crossover....

I just wanted to pass on these photos so that you know what they look like and compare what you're getting for the price.

These speakers are from the standard stereo system.

Out of curiosity, do the JBL system speakers look better than these anybody?

3. Chucka

Chucka Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks, these pix are helpful in making me even more determined to upgrade.

Are the pix shown from a basic or nav versions of the Prius?

I would like to see someone run basic impedance curves on the Prius (nav option) speakers to see what their real impedance curve looks like. This would possibly increase users options in understanding what they could use for replacement speakers if they did NOT replace their amplifier.

As for the amplifier, I would like to see if it would be too silly to try to modify the amplifier to bypass the amplifier section and to output Front L-R and Rear L-R signals at line level rather than speaker level to feed external amplifiers.

Hopefully someone here will do this but if not, I may have to find someone to take on such a project.

4. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Someone here has posted an analysis of the JBL amp outputs. Apparently the amp's crossovers, and probably EQ, are digitally synthesized and thus deteriorate the sound quality quite a bit. It has been considered to look into using the Land Cruiser's amp, since it is supposed to be all analog with AVCLan control of volume, EQ, balance and fade, as is done with the JBL amp.

5. bobc

bobc New Member

Chucka,

There are two levels for the '04-'05 stereo: basic/standard and what's been termed: The JBL version. The way the option packages are setup, if you have purchased the option with the NAV, you have the JBL stereo.

These photos are from the basic stereo (non-nav option)

Cheers,