1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How much energy does it take to desalinate ocean water?

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by burritos, Jul 18, 2007.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Is it possible to do this on a large scale to quench human needs? It might help offset the ice caps melting into the ocean. Unrealistic?

2. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Jul 18 2007, 03:16 PM) [snapback]481104[/snapback]</div>
    It'd probably require more energy to pump it inland from the coast than it would take to desalinate it.

3. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  4. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Jul 18 2007, 02:29 PM) [snapback]481120[/snapback]</div>
    Wow. That's awesome. I saw that it cost 52 cents per cubic meter, but I missed how much energy.

5. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As a teenager, I drew sketches for an offshore desalination plant. It was a floating geodesic dome, using sunshine to evaporate the surface water, deeper water to cool the surface of the dome so the vapour would condense, and wave action to power the pumps. Sea salt was a byproduct that could be picked up by barge. Are these in use anywhere?

6. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Desalizination, using reverse osmosis (saline fluid pushed through a membrane) is energy intensive. There are large amounts of brine and salt left over to deal with.

Desalizination, using the south Pacific evaporation glass "tent" method is powered by the sun and requires no other energy. This method works best in high air temperatures (40 °C +) and works worst in low air temperatures (lower evapotranspiration)

7. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(skruse @ Jul 18 2007, 03:55 PM) [snapback]481190[/snapback]</div>
    Can the above be used with solar energy? Is this less or more efficient than straight evaporation on glass tent? How much area is required for a glass tent water production? Is there real life example used to create water for people?

8. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  9. chogan

chogan New Member

Has anybody else noted how almost unbelievably cheap these processes are? The thread now has references to several plants with costs in the neightborhood of 0.2 cents per gallon. So, clearly the purchased energy inputs to these processes are tiny. I mean, if the entire cost were for energy, and you burned gasoline to get it, that 0.2 cents would amount to ... 22 (k)calories per gallon. So in fact the entire purchased energy input has to be less than that. Whereas (if I did the math right) it takes 1600 kcalories to turn a gallon of water (at boiling) into steam. I understand that they recover a lot of what would otherwise be waste energy, but that still strikes me as pretty cheap. I have a friend with a water distiller and he figures it takes about 40 cents a gallon to run (at 10 cents per KWH). I pay 0.5 cents/gallon for municipal water but most of that is the sewage rate (and I suppose in fact most of the rest is the amortized value of the infrastructure). But even if the town had to switch to desalinated water, it strikes me that the increase in the water rates would be pretty modest.

10. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tochatihu @ 2007 July 18 11:28 PM) [snapback]481460[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks, tochatihu, that's very interesting. This could provide clean, cheap water to millions.

Now, about power generation. Is there yet any such thing as a solar steam engine? I'm thinking of a shiny parabolic trough with a metal tube at the focal point, oriented to the sun. If I put water in one end of the tube, how big does the apparatus have to be to get steam out the other end? Would there be enough steam to generate a reasonable amount of electricity?

11. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Jul 19 2007, 12:59 PM) [snapback]481731[/snapback]</div>
    Are you kidding? That's impossible. :lol: :lol:

Yeah, you've just described Concentrated Solar Power. it's the cheapest form of solar power. Typical plants are basically a Rankine Cycle Natural Gas fired power plant but with concentrators and heat exchangers added in. Apparently, these things can heat water to about 3000 deg C!

12. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Jul 18 2007, 02:48 PM) [snapback]481134[/snapback]</div>
    I also saw something on this concept on the Science channel, or Discovery, a couple weeks ago, about a plan to build a large-scale curved wall. But this was one of things to happen off in the future sometime. Sounded very promising, and wouldn't require an energy source. Seems like a no-brainer to me.