1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How much further can I go?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by anthofang, May 18, 2009.

1. anthofang

anthofang New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I just got 400 miles in with 2 pips left, going at around 49.4 mpg give or take. How much further do you guys think I can squeeze in before refueling.

2. Matt Herring

Matt Herring New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Very difficult to determine with the fuel bladder the way it is...the more you drive it the more closely you will be able to tell (and based on what mileage the pips gave you over the current tank). If this is a guessing contest...I'll say 80 miles to pushing your car to the station to fill up...30 til you're on your last pip.

But, best practice is to refuel with 1-2 pips remaining...no need to squeeze any extra miles out of a tank...what's the reward?

3. anthofang

anthofang New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    haha so right... there is no reward :p just doing it as a test. I usually fill up at 3 pips

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The problem is that the milage is going to vary quite a bit because you will not always get the same amount of fuel in the tank so the test is rather worthless for future estimates. It would only be good for bragging rights. :)

5. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just got my 2006 in March and had only 2 fill-ups in a row after driving down to the last pip before it started blinking. It took 11.611 and 11.625 gals so I think I can safely do this with each tank as long as I get gas before it blinks.