1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

how much is an oil change (5k, 10k, 15k?)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by dyyuan, Dec 5, 2005.

1. dyyuan

dyyuan Junior Member

i've paid about $90 at dealership here in sf bay area for the 5k and 10k oil change...

what happened to the days of $20 oil changes???

is the price about right, and am i getting ripped off?

also, if anyone can tell me how much to expect on the 15k oil change.

thanks!

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That sounds pretty steep. My 8,000km service was complimentary, but at the 16,000km service I brought my own oil. They deducted the cost of oil and it came to $18 Canadian.

My local Toyota dealer charges $28 Canadian for an oil change. That's using whatever bulk 5W-30 they have in the 250 gallon tote bin.

3. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I change my own oil using Mobil 1. I purchase the oil for ca. $3.50 Liter ($3.50 • 4 = $14.00) plus new filter (ca. $4.00). Total cost: $18. The oil change is done correctly (not overfilled). The used oil and filter are recycled (Kragen Auto Supply) and the correct grade of oil is used.

As needed, I wash and wax the exterior and vacuum the interior and wipe all rubber gaskets with silicon preservative at the same time.

4. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I paid about $52 each for 5,000 and 10,000 at a dealer (different dealer each time). If you went to an oil change place it would probably be cheaper, but the dealer rotated the tires as well.

5. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Holy crap!!!

My dealer is $10 each for the life of the car.

Even the quick change places only rape you at $28. There is nothing THAT special about the Prius. I understand you are in Ca. but I'd be walking a little funny after how they bent you over man. They didn't even use lube.

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    it will depend on the local market, but ouch! 90 is way high for an oil change and tire rotation.

7. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    At least they 'lubed' the car. :p

8. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I pay just under 45 (with tax) but supply my own oil. I shop around (by phone) and get the 4 pack at the lowest available price at the time.

9. BitShifter01

BitShifter01 New Member

Wow! I pay 12.99 from Firestone. If you look online you can get the same discounted coupons that I do. http://www.couponpages.com/local/1999-08/fire-002.asp . I hate to say this, but you are all getting ripped :)

Granted, it's not mobil one but it's oil and it does the job.

10. sunnysandiegan

sunnysandiegan New Member

I don't even own my '06 Prius yet, but I want to know if I can buy my own Mobil 1 and have Firestone do the $12.99 oil change... Any ideas???

I just had the oil changed in my current car and it was $12.99 at Firestone. For that price, I assumed they use 'cheap' oil.

Is there really a big difference in types of oil?

I always thought DOING oil changes was the most important aspect, not necessarily WHAT oil was used. Please enlighten me before I buy the most expensive car I have ever owned. :D

11. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Welcome!

Please review the following:

http://priuschat.com/Call-me-silly-but-I-a...les-t13035.html

http://priuschat.com/2004-Prius-oil-sample...ort-t12340.html

Long story short, in "normal" driving a minimum-spec oil should work fine. If you have to deal with extreme cold, extreme heat, or other severe service, consider a synthetic. Especially for extreme cold city driving.

12. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Well, I realize I can do the job myself and save the money, but I'm gonna baby her for a bit. And what all do they do for $10?

13. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well, there really isn't much to do. Some dealers go on about a "lube" but I've looked VERY carefully and have yet to find a single zerk on the car. So asides from the oil/filter there IS no "lube" involved.

Rotate tires, you can do that yourself.

Inspect the CV boots for tears before they fail, you can do that yourself. If you wait 6 months for the dealer to check the CV boots, then they will require replacement. I like to check at least once a month, to save the CV joint if the boot happens to tear.

14. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    OK, do they do all that for $10? I'm pretty sure I'll be doing more myself with the car later on. My last 3 cars never saw the dealer for oil changes. What's the torque for the tires?

15. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Anyone who has to ask if $90.00 is too much for an oil-change is freakin' insane.
    Are you sure the back of your car says Prius and not Porsche? My Toyota Dealer has been changing my oil for $19.99 for the last 4 years and 75000 miles. Very often I get discount coupons to insure I keep coming back. And if it takes more than 30 minutes, the next one is free. I've cashed in on that at time or two also. Find another Toyota Dealer.

For too many years I was religious about changing my own oil. The disposal hassel was, just that. If you're into synthetic, buy it yourself and take it to them.

Oh, yeah, as for the mysterious LUBE job, no modern car has a single grease fitting on it anymore. Its all BS

16. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Maybe yes, maybe no. The point is, if you follow the "every 6 months or 5,000 miles" service regime, a lot can happen to a CV joint if the boot fails. That's why I like to peek at mine at least once a month.

I had a 1990 4Runner and was able to catch a torn boot early, I think it was in 1997. They were able to clean and repack the CV joint, slip on a new boot, and send me on my way for $100. Otherwise, it's around 5 times more to replace parts.

17. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    My father's 1964 Studebaker has 47, including 2 that are hidden. When a place says they lubed the car, it's easy to see if they really did.

18. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My 2000 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4 had zerks on the balljoints and the steering. Oddly enough, no zerks on the drivetrain.

The only way to properly grease the zerks on the idler arm and drag arm was to remove the plastic air dam, jack up the vehicle, then turn the steering full left lock. Once the zerk was greased, full right lock for the other zerk.

I'm willing to bet the dealer or independent never bothers, they just put the gun on the obvious zerks.

19. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well it is one of those "You have to buy the car here to get that deal" sort of things. You can't just take any car in and get that price. It is a full service oil change. Oil, filter, top off fluids etc.....

$90 is just insane...I mean heck I'd charge $90 if I could get away with it.

I'd suggest getting a new place to change your oil.

The place I buy my tires from will rotate them for free. I know I drive to a different place, but it is still a lot easier than paying the $80 difference.

20. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    OK, but the dealer I got it from is about 120 miles from where I live. While the Prius is great on mileage, I ain't gonna add 240 miles to the odometer (plus time) simply to get my oil changed. Besides, I get cards from them offering a "Special" which is the same price in San Diego. Ah well.