1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How much is it worth spending on a new hybrid battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Flying Egg, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Flying Egg

Flying Egg New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all - New member here, though I've found the site really helpful for a while. I'd much appreciate any thoughts on how much it's worth spending to get my Prius running again.

It's a 2006 and the hybrid battery has just failed . . . only around 135k miles but obviously over 10 years so out of the 10 year/150k warranty. I've called Toyota customer service for out of warranty assistance and I'm waiting to see what if anything they offer. The $3700 the dealership is asking seems like way too much to me to invest in a car this old with this many miles. It's been a good car up until now but this is by far the largest repair estimate I've gotten for any car I've ever owned, and I'm a bit concerned this may be the tip of the iceberg for expensive repairs.

Thoughts on how much it's worth sinking into this repair with the age and mileage of the car? I know no one has a crystal ball but just curious what thoughts you have based on your experiences.

Thanks!

2. b100

b100 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I always hear verry high prices from the US.
    Here in Europe a brand new OEM battery cost €1650 inc VAT. (1748 USD) Then you need to instal it by yourself. If tou cant they ask around €2000 inc Labor and VAT so for €2000 (2119 USD) you sould be done.
    At least here in europe thats the case.

3. Flying Egg

Flying Egg New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow that is a big difference and I wish prices here were more like that. Maybe I'll call a few other dealers in the vicinity and see if anyone has a significantly lower price.

4. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    If possible check several dealers; that seems higher than other have paid to replace the HV battery using a dealer. Some have reported around $2500 for a new (OEM) battery installed.

5. Flying Egg

Flying Egg New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks I'll do that - good to know that others have found this to be cheaper.

6. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The tone of your post seems to suggest that you are NOT willing or particularly anxious to invest into OEM replacement of the Hybrid Battery?

Well that IS always a real personal financial decision. No, $3700 is not a cheap investment. *Side note...seems a little high.

I'm not going to get into other options you might have as far as refurbished or rebuilt batteries...salvage...they exist. But I'm going to stay with the basic replace with new OEM.

Is it worth it?
    I'm going to say certainly.
    We have Prius owners that have put many, many more miles than 135K on their Prius. I think if you replace the Hybrid Battery with a new OEM battery, you could expect at least 100,000 more miles on the vehicle without worry of Hybrid Battery replacement. And I think that's a conservative estimate.

As far as Hybrid Battery replacement being the "Tip of The Iceberg"?
    Why is it any more the tip of the iceberg, than say a transmission repair/replacement in a regular ICE vehicle?

That is nobody can guarantee you how well everything else may or may not hold up in the next 2-3-5 years...or even 2-3-5 days, but making the assumption...and it is an assumption that the rest of The Prius is and has been well maintained...I think you could expect Toyota levels of continued reliability.

To the OP, I think you can look at it in two ways at least.
    That is the Hybrid Battery failure, can be an opportunity to move on. Get out, exit ownership of this Prius.
    Or you can look at it an opportunity to reset the Hybrid Battery....a component that eventually WILL fail on any and all Prius.

Really both decisions are fundamentally valid.

I think you should base your decision on a unemotional, legitimate evaluation of how you feel the condition of the rest of The Prius is really in...including how it has been maintained up to this point.
    Then keep in mind, that a less than $4000 investment into "transportation" as economical as a Prius, that could easily continue for another 100,000 miles isn't perhaps as horrible an investment as the cost seems to represent.

But it is a 10 year old vehicle, and really only the OP is in the best position to evaluate the condition of the REST of the vehicle.
    If I determined or deemed it great...or good for it's age? I would easily consider investment into a Hybrid Battery.

7. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Ditto all the above. Another factor I'm going to consider when/if it's my turn is that I really like the car. I can't imagine a better body style for what I need a car for, it's just perfect. I'm pricing batteries out at under $2500 over the counter including tax, and I can do the work, and to me that's a no-brainer for running that car for many more years. And that's without considering fuel economy.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It depends on what your plans are in terms of vehicle ownership. (Side note, it is a bit high. We were quoted CAD$3,000 (~US$2,300 at current exchange rate).

If your car is in good condition (suspension, engine, interior), then the cost for a new battery, relative to getting a new car, is pretty reasonable. You're essentially getting a new hybrid for $3,000. Say you keep it for another 5 years before an EV or PHEV catches your eye and you want to upgrade. $3,000 is $600/year or $50/month. Not bad and definitely cheaper than a new car (but of course you won't have the latest safety features of the new car)

If the exterior/interior is in rough shape, then maybe it's best to put the $3,000 as a downpayment towards a Gen 4/Prime (or a used Gen 2/3 if that's your preferred route).

9. Flying Egg

Flying Egg New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the helpful thoughts. I'm the original owner and have kept up with all recommended maintenance over the years. The car's in good mechanical shape otherwise as far as I know, and the exterior and interior are good but not pristine (have not bothered to fix a few minor parking lot scrapes etc.)

I'm kind of surprised to have this come up this early in terms of mileage, but maybe it's a component where failure is more a matter of time than mileage.

I'm definitely going to call a few other dealers and see if anyone has a significantly better price, which would certainly change the equation, and with luck maybe Toyota will help out.

bisco likes this.
  10. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For me, I'd probably get a different car. Anything over $2000 is too expensive to fix for me, and newer cars tend to have technology and safety enhancements. However, if you have the money and you really like your current car, then a new battery pack will probably last another 10 years/150,000 miles or more.

11. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Lots of good advice already. A new battery is pretty attractive, but I agree that that price seems steep. There are also people who can replace just the bad cells for you. Or, depending on how bad it is, sometimes a grid charger can buy you some more life before you end up having to replace the whole battery. But if the car is in as good of condition as it seems to you to be, then maybe a new battery is a great option. But like the others said, shop around first.

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just an FYI, we went with the "new car" route. Our 2005 went kaput at 245,000km (11.5 years). The mechanical bits were mostly sound. The engine is using a bit of oil and of course is idling rougher than when new. The exterior is in great shape but the interior is showing its age. (The cloth for the door armrest and centre console were really thin pieces so they wore through to the backing around Year 6).

We traded it in for a 2016 last March (launched Mar 1 in Canada, took delivery, Mar 3).

13. Flying Egg

Flying Egg New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just called three other dealers and got similar prices at all three. I guess prices are just higher here than in some of the areas noted above. It wouldn't surprise me if California has some kind of environmental surcharge that pushes the price above what it is in other jurisdictions, but that's just a guess. The battery itself is about $3100 plus tax and labor. It sounds like the warranty on a replacement battery is 12 months or 12,000 miles so quite a bit less than what comes on the battery in a new car.

14. Priusyipee

Priusyipee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2005 with 290,000+ on the original hybrid battery. Also had it since new. The engine is sound. These cars are workhorses. The interior is mint condition and then some. There is some rust on the driver's side rocker panel. I have been expecting it to die for over a year now but it keeps going... At 135,000 miles, your Prius is still in its infancy!

Paul Schenck and bisco like this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    first, call toyota, and ask for a goodwill warranty, you're just outside on the years, and way under in miles.

if they refuse, check the battery price thread. i think they can be had for $2,000. and you should be able to find someone outside the dealer to install it for a couple hundred bucks.

also, in cali, there is an experimental toyota program where you can get a remanufactured battery for $1,600. or so.

lastly, consider putting a new battery in, your car is just broken in! and if the rest of the car eventually gets too costly, look for a lower mileage prius that needs a battery and swap them.

all the best!(y)

16. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Flying Egg,
    These stealerships are misleading you. The list price on a Gen 2 HV pack is $2588 and can be had for less when purchasing it online and then picking it up at the dealer with the online pricing. The warranty is 3 years when installed by a dealer (I don't recall what the mileage limit is).

Installation price varies but some dealers will offer a discount if you disassemble the interior to the point that all they need to do is bolt in the new pack. So it's possible to get a Toyota dealer to do it for about $3200 total - which still ain't chicken feed.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    where in cali are you?

18. Flying Egg

Flying Egg New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the thoughts everyone. I'm in Southern California so there are some really high volume dealerships . . . which does not apparently translate to good prices.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    check the battery pricing thread. i think cali is the cheapest in the country.

20. Flying Egg

Flying Egg New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks @bisco, would you be able to point me to that thread? I've searched but so far can't locate it.