1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

how much is my 2010 w/ 240k & blown head gasket worth..?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by sukatoro, Jul 22, 2018.

1. sukatoro

sukatoro Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    hi all, I have a quick question for the collective... my first Prius which I bought last year began clattering and became undriveable back in February, I created a thread and got lots of great information, insight and advice (some of which I should have heeded)... you can find it here:

clatter/shaking, CEL on, oil on 2 plugs & coils... diagnosis? | PriusChat

after throwing parts at it for a month I ended up buying a 2012 which presented itself and the 2010 ended up on the back burner... as much as I had wanted to get it going myself I need to clear the driveway space and should sell it. the problem being i don't have the first clue what its worth as it sits.

its a 2010 in blizzard pearl, right over 249k on the odometer, it assumedly needs a head gasket job as the engine would shake and clatter once it warmed up at all, or when called upon to start charging the HV battery... I fiddled with it as best I could during the limited time I could find between work, cleaned the entire EGR circuit (which was packed solid), replaced injectors with a set of rebuilt units, went as far as to buy the replacement head gasket direct from Toyota before the 2012 showed up... so....

...can anyone throw out a ballpark figure or range that would be reasonable to ask for it? I don't have the first clue. the body is straight, no dents or major blemishes, HV battery is fair, would on rare occasions throw a PA080 code as block 10 was near the threshold, bought two battery blades to replace it but never got that far, interior is as expected of a car with 240k on it, some wear but no rips, holes etc. I don't have pics of it handy but could take soon, it would need to be towed as it cannot be driven with the violent clattering... if anyone could venture an opinion I'd appreciate it, would love to see it end up in the hands of someone who could actually get it running and back in service.

2. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I just kbb’d it.
    Trade in for “fair” condition is between 1,648$ and 3,051$
    Private party is 2,500-4,500$

3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Here's one from my neck of the woods. Older and in even poorer condition but it gives you a data point. IIRC, they started at $1200 and have been reducing it. Search your local CL as I did and you'll get a feel for the Houston market.

Screen Shot 2018-07-22 at 4.07.34 PM.png

4. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Trade in minus cost of repairs

DLC82SV likes this.
  5. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Time donate.

DLC82SV likes this.
  6. DLC82SV

DLC82SV Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
  7. DLC82SV

DLC82SV Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    That's what I paid for mine. 148k miles on it with new tires. Weak hv Battery. ICE is still strong! I have used the mountains & my cars ECU to recondition my battery and I just need to R & R my combination meter as it is one of the ones with the weak capacitor. Now had I bought the battery and combo meter and paid $500 for the car I'd still just have what it's worth invested. Do unto others man...

Aaron Vitolins likes this.
  8. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Considering the ballpark figures you've gotten so far in this thread, another option would be to part it out, assuming that you have a place where that can be done without offending the neighbors. I think the sum of the parts of your car are probably worth more than the whole.

9. GFO

GFO Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you're capable of easily deducting a charitable tax deduction (own a business, you itemize your tax returns etc), you might consider donating it to some charity that hires a wrecker to pick it up and handles the paperwork for you. You'll likely get the most out of it that way with 240k on the clock and a bad head gasket.

10. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Nows your chance to do this

11. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model: