1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How much power do our accessories take?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by timster, Mar 10, 2004.

1. timster

timster Junior Member

Hi all,

Here's some more or less useless info on how much power our Prius accessories pull from the 12v battery. Take these numbers with a grain of salt. I don't even trust them. I used a clamp meter on the negative battery lead. The numbers are probably off by a few amps in either direction.... These were taken on a package 8 + EC mirror.

First push of the "start" button (ie. "radio" mode), with everything off, the car draws approx 4 amps. With the stereo (cd player) on at mid volume, that jumps to 6 amps. So it appears that the stereo draws very little power.

2nd push of the start button ("full accessory" mode), with everything off, the car draws approx 10 amps. Not sure where all that power is going, but a lot of ECUs and the dash are all active....

With the heater on with the lowest fan speed, that jumps to 12 amps. On highest fan speed it jumps way up to 24 amps. So low fan = 2 amps, high fan = 14 amps!

With the parking lights on, it was pulling an additional 2 amps, and the non-HID headlights (plus parking lights) pulled 12 amps.

The rear defogger pulled 21 amps all by itself. Front defogger was 12 amps (heater on high, blowing at window). (Curiously blowing at feet pulled 2 more amps?)

When I pushed the start button a 3rd time for "READY" mode and turned off everything I could think of, the car was drawing 20 amps. When I cranked everything on (headlights, stereo loud, heater cranked) it was pulling 61 amps!

More very misc data:
    Unlocking all the doors draws around 10 amps for a half a second.
    Doorlights draw about 1 amp.
    DVD Navigation system draws almost nothing? I saw no difference when I switched to the NAV display...
    I think when I clicked the "AC/AC" button on it drew 1 amp even though it wasn't cooling?
    I couldn't get the PTC heater to kick in when I was doing this; I guess the ICE was to warm.

It was hard to get good readings when the car was in "READY" mode because the DC/DC is charging/maintaining the 12v battery. I know it was supplying a lot of power because I hooked up my 750 watt heater to the 12v battery and when I kicked it on I saw virtually no change in my ampmeter! When the car was off, it read 65 amps, like I expected.

Anyway, I think I verified the following:
    * The radio draws very little power.
    * If you want to park and listen to the radio, do it in "radio" mode, not "full accessory" mode!
    * Leaving the fan on the slowest speed you can might help conserve a little bit of juice. Luckily, the automagic AC already does this for us!

Cheers,
    Tim

2. eak354

eak354 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm just wondering how long one could listen to the radio/cd player in just plain radio accesory mode? i sometimes have to park and wait for my wife and really would like to listen to music but discharging the 12v battery comes to mind. :|