1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How much technology is too much technology?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by DocVijay, Apr 14, 2006.

1. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

How about when you can monitor you laundry wirelessly!

Just got a new washer and dryer, and it has a wireless laundry monitor! Now I can relax in my favorite easy chair and still keep an eye on my washing! Or at least I could if I actually did the laundry...

Also, these are extremely energy efficient, which is always a good thing.

These are the Prius of the laundry world!

Technology, gotta love it.

Did I mention it has LED lighting!

Here are some pics:

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  3. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can they associate with the WAP in your house and send you email
    when the wash is done? Or call your cell via VOIP?
    still running *zero* lines of code to get my clothes clean,
    _H*

4. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

If you remember, LG also makes that fridge with the 13" LCD in the door...

My wife said no to that one. :(

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    hehehe... for me in my small house, i only mute the tv and listen to decide what is and isnt done yet.

6. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Apr 14 2006, 10:08 PM) [snapback]239974[/snapback]</div>
    For this washer that wouldn't work. I'm amazed at how quiet it is. It uses a magnetic drive instead of a belt or gears, and it's completely quiet. The loudest sound is the wet towels sloshing around.

If you're upstairs, it really does help.

7. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    oh believe me i know the techie bug is hard to control. you should have seen me in my X-10 days. i had a camera hooked to a motion detector that was hooked up to a lamp and the feed on my VCR (gives you an idea of how long ago this was!!)

when a car came down my driveway (it was about 250 feet) the motion detector would enable the camera and turn on the VCR and record it and show the picture on my tv and flash the lamp on the stairwell.

ok, i admit, all that just let me know that someone was visiting about 30 seconds before they knocked on my door. it was a cool thing and it worked using the electrical connections in the house. was a very cool thing to play with. the main module could control up to 100 some devices. got to be a costly hobby eventually as each control module was like $20 a pop and the scenario i described needed 6 of em.

8. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Yeah I understand completely. Could I have gotten a cheaper washer/dryer that did just as good of a job? Yeah, probably I could. Would it have been as cool? Hell no. You can see which won out.

9. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    if you have the means to do it, the cool factor always wins out B)

10. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Dude, that's waaaaay cool shiat! I'm surprised more of the "minimalist" crowd hasn't popped up and posted how much of an utter waste that is! You know, a perfectly good USED Maytag for $250 would do the same job, you'd cosume less, less money to the Chinese, supporting slave labor, consider the ENERGY used to build this high tech unit, yada yada yada yada.... :lol: :lol:

11. jef

jef New Member

Inglewood (Los Angeles county), California
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Apr 14 2006, 09:14 PM) [snapback]240041[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah man. You could build three Chevy Tahoes for the enery required to build that washer. I saw a report from a think tank in Oregon that said so.

12. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yeah... it'll take you 17 years to pay off the "horizontal axis premium" on that set.

13. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Apr 15 2006, 02:15 AM) [snapback]240080[/snapback]</div>
    Hah. I was waiting for that one!

EDIT: See, I told you this was the Prius of laundry care!

14. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Mine just buzzes so loud that I just about hit the roof even if I'm at the far end of the house with the laundry room door closed.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Apr 14 2006, 03:58 PM) [snapback]239929[/snapback]</div>
    Don't be so sure. There's probably plenty of computing power in there, unless you use a wringer-washer. That's what my first washer was. I think I paid about $20 for it, back in my church-mouse days. Atheist church-mouse, of course.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Apr 14 2006, 08:14 PM) [snapback]240041[/snapback]</div>
    Funny, how, in the absense of anyone to rail at, Squid invents an imaginary person to rail at. Ha ha.

15. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    hey it may have used more energy to build these things, but it uses very low power LCD technology...so it may cost more up front, but in ummm 2150 washings, you will have nearly broke even assuming a resale value of...

16. marjflowers

marjflowers New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm sorry -- sometimes you just can't put a price on cool, and your washer and dryer qualify!

Peace --

17. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Apr 15 2006, 09:28 AM) [snapback]240131[/snapback]</div>
    As I said, the lighting for the tub is also LED, so that saves even more money over a standard incandescent bulb. So it's not 2150 washings, it's only 2145!

18. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You will have to start another mod thread. (Just when your wife started to relax) I hear you can get performance shocks soon, along with stiffening braces that attach to the machine and floor, so you can mod the machine to up the spin speed to 2500rpm (higher spin = less water=less dryer time). Also I believe there will be a titanium drum option available soon for less unstrung weight. Does yours have the aux. input for an ipod? Have you Zainoed them yet? What kind of JPC (jeans per cap-full) are you getting? Is that the metallic grey? Does CAN-View have an adaptor that will work with your LG? Anyway to convert those LEDs to HIDs? I was going to go with LG but decided FM (French Maid) was more cost effective and if I'm going to put something on a pedestal it better give me a B...

19. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(koa @ Apr 16 2006, 12:12 AM) [snapback]240401[/snapback]</div>
    You think you're joking, but...

Titanium drum! :wub: That would help the max rpm's. It peaks at 1320 rpm now.

...drool...

20. roguenode

roguenode New Member

Hmmm... maybe someone in my neighborhood has one of those. I'll have to scan their poorly protected home wireless networks and see if I can Haxor their wash cycle. :p