1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How much would you pay for a 30 mile EV mode?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by SomervillePrius, Jan 25, 2006.

?
  1. Nothing - Hybrid is where it's at! or the EV mode suggested is not good enough!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. $0-$2000 - I need to recoup the cost whitin a couple of years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. $2000-$3999 - I see it as an option inline with Leather and Nav packages

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. $4000-$6000 - It's a statement for the environment, energy independence and I like to the technolog

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. $6000-$10000 -It's a strong statement for the environment, energy independence and I like to the tec

100.0%
  6. $10000-$12000 - It's a neccesary step to take now!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. $12000-above - I'm already seriously considering evdrive system even if it voids my warranty!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's something I've been considering myself for the last couple of days. How much would I be willing to pay extra for a PHEV Prius with a real 30 miles range that come factory installed from toyota.

2. flynz4

flynz4 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I voted for $0 - $2000, but I am at the lower end of that range. I think your steps are way too agressive.

Personally... I would be happy up to about $1000. Your second range is 2000 - 4000 is not accurately described. It is not in line with leather or nav. Nav is under 2000, and leather is under 1200 if I remember right.

Also... even at $1000 I'm not sure that the higher cost would ever be recouped. It would be a fun option to have though.

/Jim

3. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I would like the extended EV and would even pay something over the break even level, but not in the range of 1/2 of the car price. I need some hope of recouping the investment. Many would argue that I will not do even that for the present Prius I am betting that gas prices will continue to rise and I will do better than break even

4. SomervillePrius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ok.. I meant it to read as nav and leather combined.... but you got a point.

I think the range is fine. If people aren't willing to pay at least $3-4k for it then I doubt it's viable today

5. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

This would definately suit my needs for a 2 miles (each way) commute. But the cost would have to be something on the affordable side so I shot for the lower end price range.

6. Schmika

Schmika New Member

I would pay up to $2K for the option to go 30miles on a plug in.

7. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

I went with the $2000-3999 - I think I could be convinced to buy a factory option for about $3k. I don't think I'd pay much at all for a possibly warranty voiding aftermarket option - but I'm actually hopeful that continued research into batteries will 'soon' yield a big drop in price, for both manufacturers and aftermarketers.

8. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Assuming this is for a plugin hybrid and the cost includes the charger, I voted in the 4-6k range. If it was available tomorrow I would opt for a base model Prius and forego the nav sys, bluetooth, jbl stereo, HID and all just to have this option. We're talking zero emissions here, the potential for solar charging and silent running for 90% of our driving if Toyota can provide a 50 mile range. Some of this can't be calculated in fuel savings alone, though I suspect that over the life of the car that number will improve dramatically. Figure average 150 mpg. Imagine actually being concerned about the gas going stale :) . The car should outlast me given the low hours accrued on the ICE. I'd go for this in a heartbeat.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I voted $0-$2000 seeing that it's probably in USD lol. I can easily cover 100kms in a day in summer. Doing half of that in EV from the grid would be nice. Heck, at 30 mile EV range would effectively limit my petrol consumption to summer holidays only.

10. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The charger would most definitely be onboard. In fact (surprise!) it is already there in the car you are driving today. It is how your brakes regenerate for you. EVERY production EV was originally designed to have on-board charging, and most of the cars began their production lives in that way. Off-board chargers were later "created" for political and profit reasons, unfortunately. Otherwise, the car makers would not make any money on infrastructure... all you'd need is an outlet instead of a proprietary device that costs many thousands of dollars. :(

Very good points! I tend to squirm a bit when I hear about "pay back" and all that. Same argument that the anti-hybrid folks like to use against hybrids. "I'll never get my money back for the hybrid premium." Well, there are some things more important than money. How much is it worth to you to not have tuneups or oil changes (or at least much-reduced service visits)? To not have to stop off at the gas station on the way to or from work in the dark/cold/heat/rain? To not pollute your attached garage? To stick it to the oil industry? To know you are increasing the security of your country by not using foreign energy?

11. jtmhog

jtmhog Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    "Charger already installed" Some of it is. I don't believe there is 120VAC onboard the Prius. I don't know what the characteristics of the electricity that MG2 generates. When people understand that the equivalent cost of grid electricty is 15-50 cents per gallon of gas and the pay back period will decrease as the price of gas increases ( there is talk now of $100/barrel for oil, the demand for the car will be unbelievable.

12. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The comments I've heard over the years is that $3,000 is the cutoff for a reasonable battery-pack upgrade price. Higher than that just causes interest to rapidly fade away.

In fact, how much it costs ranks quite a bit higher than the EV range... which is very misleading in the first place, since EV and Stealth limitations having no baring on the improvement provided for Highway efficiency.

From the beginning, Prius was marketed based on a future mass-production price that a majority of consumers would be willing to pay. Toyota intentionally avoided maximum performance due to the cost factor being too great of a concern. Those now experimenting with higher capacity battery-packs are not. They're completely ignoring price and focusing solely on achieving the highest MPG possible. That is helping to establish a misconception that electric augmentation is only available for a extreme amount of money (half the price of the vehicle itself). Is that really something we should encourage?

13. EricGo

EricGo New Member

Nice poll !

To put $$ signs on the question -- An EV mile costs about 4 cents less than a petrol mile. If we assume all electric driving of about 15K miles a year, $600 a year is saved.

Amazing actually, that we can even consider practical payback time scales for such a cutting edge technology.

14. SomervillePrius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Cool,

It sure seems to be within reach. Maybe not as a market market first but if they could sell an 'extra' battery to the Prius then I'm sure that many Priuses sold would be with that option, and hey isn't that what the 'secret' compartment is/was for anyway?

15. Stringer

Stringer New Member

Not unless it starts working at higher speeds.
    50 MPH is absolute minimum, but 80 MPH is desirable.

16. SomervillePrius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    In a way you are rigth. To make EV mode attractive to the masses it needs to do freeway speed on EV mode. That this can be done has already been proven by the GM EV1 and the Toyota Battery Rav IV. You can find a lot of information about this here http://www.darelldd.com/ev From our own darreldd.

So I don't think it would be hard for toyota to redesign the Prius so that it could go faster in EV mode without having to spin the ICE. I don't fully understand what this limitation exists in our Prius.

So it might be hard to sell an attractive retrofit to our Priuses (the EV mode suggested would still work well for me, but my commute is easier then mosts). What I'm hoping is that Toyota sees this interest and decides to act on it for the next Prius.

Once you've gone EV you don't want to go back!

17. gschoen

gschoen Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If the car can go 80MPH on electric-only, it should be an electric car, not a hybrid.

Electric motors are less efficient at highway speeds while ICE is most efficient at highway speeds. If you had an engine onboard, why would you not use it when it's more effective? The electric motors can be used to assist, as in the Prius, and give greater range and power than electric only.

The speed limitation in our Prius goes to the power split device and maxium speeds the MGs can spin. The electric-only vehicles are designed differently to go faster, since of course they're missing an engine. Hauling the engine around would be a lot of extra weight if you only intend to use it for emergencies or cross country trips.

A plug in hybrid should't be an electric-only vehicle.

18. SomervillePrius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    good points! I agree. That said I think the EV only mode could probably be bumped so that it could run in EV mode on all but highway speeds (say EV up to 45 mph; under reasonable careful driving).

On a different note: It's interesting that (right now) 54% of the people who has responded seem willing to pay what a "reasonable" cost for the Prius+ mod. With reasonable I mean around what the speculated cost would be for Toyota to sell the mod that exists today. That is good news.

If we add in the people that are interested but want to pay a bit less we have even more interested.

That said this is only 50 or so people but still....

19. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

I agree. I think it should be both to work with everyones needs. I would like to get a BEV but then I would have to worry about shipping it to me. If I move I would have to ship it again.

I would save up some money for a BEV but the shipping part is what is making me have second thoughs. If I could figure out something on that I would get a BEV as soon as I could for many reason beyond the gas savings.

20. SomervillePrius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    tracy,

risking to take this thread off topic. If you need to transport your EV for longer ranges it simply takes two click. First go rent one of these and then rent one of these

If you are moving then the 2nd link is all you need