1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How my first year of savings adds up

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Ray Moore, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Well, it's been a great year. Last year on this date I bought my Prius. I got tired of waiting so I called more than 30 dealerships and found one that was my exact choice. April first found me on a plane to Denver and the next day I drove her home.

My old vehicle was a Ford F-150 that I had put 110,000 miles on at 15 miles per gallon. I needed this truck because I'm a contractor and I live on 33 acres where I always have multiple projects going. After two months of seeing it sit in the driveway and not wanting to set foot in it, I sold it for 9000$. It was due for a 500$ set of tires and a 500$ brake job in the next year. With that many miles on it I can figure on around 800$ a year until it became "found on the road dead".

This year I put 27,680 miles on the Prius. I averaged 52 MPG in the Prius. So here's the breakdown of costs and a comparison of expected costs if I had kept the truck.

Total gas used in Prius 532 gallons at total cost of 1,010$
    Total costs of 5 oil changes 95$
    Total costs 1,105$

Total interest expense will be covered by the income tax benefit.
    Total purchase price including tint, taxes and air fare. 27,600$

Now for the truck side. Mileage figure reduced to count for miles driven from Denver.

Total gas in F-150 3,388$
    Maintainance including oil changes 2,070$
    Total costs 5,458$

So the difference is a whopping 4,353$ in the first year. The savings alone will pay off the entire purchase price of the vehicle in less than six years. The hatchback has allowed me to carry everything I have needed to carry for my job. If I ever really need a truck I will rent one. The savings in future years is expected to be even larger since gas is already 25 cents higher than the average price I paid last year.

The best part is the joy of driving this awesome video game on wheels. I love it. Parking it is a hoot. I take the space that all the big SUVs and trucks have to pass by.

Actually, the best part might be all the great people I've met right here on Priuschat. Ya'll have really made learning about this car something that I look forward to. Thank you for everything.