1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How Not To Do A Motor Swap

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by a_gray_prius, Aug 15, 2010.

1. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2 people like this.
  2. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  3. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, you ment actually slip the bolts into the engine mounts, and not just see if they would fit, right???

4. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Two things make this look staged. The first is what he's doing with the ratchet, which is being turned in the tightening direction (look at how he's holding it, with his right hand exerting force clockwise). As a disassembly step that looks suspicious, particularly the easy torque. A last bolt now bearing the weight of the entire engine would not turn so freely.

But the fact that a single last bolt or nut would disconnect both the engine and the front bumper makes no mechanical sense whatsoever. And the right headlight was obviously already completely disconnected as an additional part to "fall apart".

It does, however, make a lot of sense if trying to make a "world's funniest" video to rig something up so it appears the entire car falls apart when the "loose screw" with a wrench appears to loosen the "screw" that holds everything together.

5. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    yeah but it's still funny as hell

6. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It's funny thing. If it weren't staged it I'd find it funny; standard schadenfreude.

If it were in a movie I might find it funny, too, even knowing it was staged in the film; schadenfreude again.

But for some reason this staged UTube gag leaves me cold. I don't exactly know why, but it just does, although I think it might have something to do with its deceit. It's pretending to be something it isn't. A movie is all pretense too, but of a different character: we all know it's pretense so the element of deceit isn't there. Maybe that's it.

1 person likes this.