1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How not to get ripped off

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Walker1, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had a problem with a 5 yr. old dishwasher. It tried to start, but just made a clunking noise. I went to Google and printed out some info. The only problem was I missed 1 paragraph that would have saved me from a service call.

I called an appliance repair co. I was told it would be $55 to "show up." However, it would be applied to the repair total. The guy tries to start the machine. After it clunks he takes off the small bottom cover that's held on by 4 small screws. He looks inside, then puts his hand up to the motor. There is an impeller that you can turn without taking the motor apart. He spins it.

Now he starts the machine and it starts taking water and runs fine. It seems that if you don't use a dishwasher for a while the impeller can get stuck. The fix: just turn it a couple of times. Sometimes the rubber seals will leak if they dry out. In my case they're fine. The bottom line: $79.00- I was charged $24 for taking a plate off & turning the impeller. Of course that was on top of the $55 for just showing up.

Well, I did feel STUPID. I never worked on a dishwasher, but I am mechanically inclined & have lots of tools. Hope this helps someone save $$ on something like this.

2. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

And don't make the mistake of buying any LG appliance! I was all set to buy till I heard from them they won't sell parts to owners of their products!