1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How often do you recharge the key?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by dachshund, Oct 20, 2006.

1. dachshund

dachshund New Member

I'm just curious how often people are recharging the smart key by plugging it into the dash? I had one dealer say that you never have to put it in the dash, and another dealer said to recharge about once a week.

To be safe I'm on the once-a-week plan. :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance for you opinions.

2. Trevor

Trevor Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wasn't aware that the key was rechargeable. I think the dealer was making things up.

3. jmccord

jmccord New Member

I thought the FOB used a non-rechargeable watch battery :huh:

4. Soylent

Soylent The v isn't a station wagon! It's just big boned

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    That doesn't recharge your key. It uses a standard battery that you need to replace when it dies

5. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dachshund @ Oct 20 2006, 02:55 PM) [snapback]335700[/snapback]</div>
    You don't recharge it. You replace the battery once every 2 to 3 years. It's just a regular calculator type battery that you can get at just about any drug store. (The manual has instructions for replacing the battery)

The slot is for people who don't have the SKS, and for starting your car if the fob's battery ever dies. I typically only use it when I have a valet park my car. I put the fob in the slot so they know where to find it.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dachshund @ Oct 20 2006, 11:55 AM) [snapback]335700[/snapback]</div>
    It doesn't recharge. The slot is there so that you can slot it in if the battery dies. That's something the other SKS-equipped Toyotas/Lexuses don't have. Apparently, there's a LO-BATT warning when the battery in the fob is running low and I think you can start by placing the fob close to the POWER (or Engine Start Stop) button.

7. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dachshund @ Oct 20 2006, 02:55 PM) [snapback]335700[/snapback]</div>
    The owner's manual says the plug in the dash is for when the battery dies in the fob, so the car can read the key so that you may drive to the store and get a new battery for the fob. In other words, no "recharge" by putting it in the dash slot.

8. dachshund

dachshund New Member

Interesting... I thought most of the remote-type car keys get recharged when they're in the key slot. My BMW key was this way. I had the car for 6 years and never replaced a battery, and anyway this is what the dealer said.

9. Pious

Pious New Member

The ignorance some dealerships never ceases to amaze me.

10. withersea

withersea DNF is better than DNS

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It doesn't recharge. Apparently many dealers are misinformed on this issue. My salesperson also told me that I needed to make sure I charged the key occasionally in the slot.

11. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Anybody know how this works on the HyCam? it has SKS, but no slot...

Nate

12. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dachshund @ Oct 20 2006, 03:05 PM) [snapback]335717[/snapback]</div>
    My last car was 12 years old when I traded it, it had the original batteries in the key fobs, and the original 12V battery under the hood. To be fair, I assume the batteries in the Prius key fobs are sending out some signal all the time, whereas the one in my Volvo (Volvos rock!) was only being used when you pressed the button to open the door. The 12V battery surprised even me, I put jumper cables in the car for the last 5 years or so I drove it, expecting it to die at any time.

13. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    We all need to make sure that, when we come across a dealer giving missinformation like this, we take the time to correct them - there are many more owners out there than on this site, and i would hate for them to be under mistaken impressions due to dealer missinformation.

14. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

The SKS fob listens for a low power signal from one of the oscillators in the Prius. When it hears the oscillator, it transmits a code using the same mechanism as if you pressed a button on the fob. Most of the time, the oscillators solicit a request when an event occurs, such as a door handle touched, a door opened, a door attempting to be locked, power button pressed, etc. I believe the room oscillator will be used occasionally to check that the fob is still in the car, but I don't know how often. Whenever the fob responds, the LED on the fob will blink.

15. Manksgloob

Manksgloob Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Oct 20 2006, 12:11 PM) [snapback]335727[/snapback]</div>
    Hold the HyCam FOB near the Power button while powering on.
    The induction field is something like 3 inches around it.

16. dachshund

dachshund New Member

Regarding the recharging issue, this is great to know! I'd much rather keep it in my pocket or bag.

17. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Oct 20 2006, 03:11 PM) [snapback]335727[/snapback]</div>
    Sounds a little inconvenient if you are having your car valet parked.

18. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dachshund @ Oct 20 2006, 12:05 PM) [snapback]335717[/snapback]</div>
    Unfortunately dealers can say the darnest things at times. At least one dealer has said that moving the shift lever to "B" makes the Prius run on battery alone. :lol:

19. eclectcmoi

eclectcmoi Muffinologist

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Dealers don't know it all, do they?

20. DavidTO

DavidTO New Member

Longo Toyota told me the same thing. Put the fob in the slot once a week to recharge. Bunch of hooey!