1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How often to change synthetic oil?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by alsgameroom, May 16, 2005.

1. alsgameroom

alsgameroom Member

sorry if this has been asked before..

I'll be getting my pri in about 2-3 weeks. After my 3 free dealer oil changes I want to switch over from dino oil to synth.

My main reason is to attempt to increase MPG and the car should be well broken in by then.

But.... How often should one change synthetic oil in a Prius???

thanks!

2. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Warranty requires oil change every 5K, regardless if it is synthetic or not. After your warranty is up, that's a tossup.

3. alsgameroom

alsgameroom Member

interesting.... so if I do my own oil changes after my 3 freebies...how do I prove I've done it every 5000 miles.

thanks Al

4. yoyoman

yoyoman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Are we getting 3 free oil change from the dealer?? I will be getting my new Prius also. I will ask when I get mine.

5. kkister1492

kkister1492 New Member

I didn't get any free anything except the first tank of gas.

6. alsgameroom

alsgameroom Member

Ask for 5 free.... maybe you'll get it!

I remember seeing somewhere (forget where) that this was a common offer.

After all, the dealers really clean up on the service business so they want to make sure they get you in for service so they can sell you on using them exclusively........ which at this point is probably not a bad idea anyway!

because I do not know any local shops in my area trained on prius

-al

7. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(alsgameroom\";p=\"90045)</div>
    Keep receipts of materials. You are correct, it couldn't be proven the work was or was not actually done at 5K intervals, but keep a log of odometer reading when you do the changes, and keep receipts of the oil, filters and gaskets.

8. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I only got one free oil change for both of ours. I never thought to ask for 5 free oil changes. I suppose they could have only said no.

I would change the oil every 5K. I have oil analysis kits (to send to Blackguard or Blackstone cannot remember the name). I orginally got them for my F250 but since it was stolen I will analyze the Prius oil. I was told we may need to change the oil not because of excessive dirt but due to sheering which will lower the rating. I will check.

I am not sure about switching to synthetic since I doubt I will keep the car 20 yrs. In 10 yrs we may need to get the upgraded Prius that gets 250 mpg. Although if it does increase the MPG and runs more quiet I may switch. I have 2K miles to think about it.

9. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DanMan32\";p=\"89926)</div>
    Dan:

Absolutely correct for North America. For some odd reason, Toyota appears to have lowered across the board the oil change interval. My 1990 4Runner had a 12 month, 7,500 mile for "normal" use, 3 month 3,000 mile for "severe" use.

Interesting how the Prius in Europe has a 12 month 16,000km (10,000mi) oil change interval.

It doesn't matter what brand synthetic oil you use. If you extend the oil change interval and should happen to experience a rare engine problem during warranty, that would be all Toyota needs to tell you "TFB pal you're SOL."

After warranty, if you still have the car, then I would see no problem with 12 months or 10,000 miles. There are two different oil filters, get the tall one. On all my cars and trucks, once off warranty I did 12 month oil changes, 6 month oil filter changes, no matter how many miles. No problems with synthetics.

It's unclear if this motor is as prone to sludging as the 3.0 V6 (Sienna, Camry) that created a lot of press. If you operate in a severe winter climate like where I live, then EVERY motor will produce sludge if run on conventional oil.

Also, a conventional 5W-30 will only work reliably down to about -22 F. Any colder, especially -40, and the oil is solid as a brick. So there is cold temp flow characteristics to consider, which I don't think you have to worry about.

In my winter city driving conditions, especially at -40, it's prudent to run a synthetic oil with a lot more detergents and dispersants. As an example: Mobil 1 0W-30, Amsoil (HDD 5W-30, XLF 5W-30, ASL 5W-30, TSO 0W-30), Esso XD-3 0W-30, etc.

The oils listed above will reliably control the condensation resulting from low temp conditions when the motor doesn't get hot enough to boil off the condensation. They will prevent the formation of any sludge and varnish.

Otherwise, since we're stuck with 6 month 5,000mi oil changes, the cheap stuff should be ok. Unless it turns out these motors also have a sludge problem.

I'm not sure if you can expect huge MPG increases. The European oil testing authority, ACEA (Association des Constructeurs
    Européens d'Automobilies), compared a reference Heavy Duty 15W-40 to xW-30 and xW-20 oils.

On average, an xW-30 (Eg 5W-30) increased fuel economy 2%, and an xW-20 increased fuel economy 2.5%. If you're expecting something like 10%, that's probably wishful thinking or a fantasy.

Note: the CVT already uses a synthetic oil, Type WS.

Jay