1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How one rock on the freeway cost me $1100

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Boca’s Prius, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Boca’s Prius

Boca’s Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    (Video of my hitting rock)

Basically I hit this landscaping rock that was camouflaged in the middle of the freeway as I was passing a semi to get off the next exit. Instantly my undercarriage of the car was making a grinding noise. I took it into my father's dealership initial diagnosis bent wheel, fixed up. Still hearing the noise, another bent wheel. Still hearing the grinding noise, realize we have a damaged wheel bearing. The noise under my driver right side was gone but still a similar noise came from the right rear side. I told my dad I swear my car is still making noise and took him and his mechanic working on my car. Apparently I have a damaged tire that's making the last remaining noise and although its drivable it will eventually wear out unevenly so that is being replaced tomorrow.

Overall this is just a little story of how I hit one stupid rock and $1,100 dollars that could have been used on my car loan/roof rack/trailer hitch receiver :( So far this had been my only downside having not as much ground clearance as my truck with this Prius. Overall still love it and will make sure to avoid every rock I can.

2. Boca’s Prius

Boca’s Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Each wheel $165 x 2 =cost/shipping
    Wheel bearing $365
    Replacement Tire $230
    Gas for trips to dealership and back: $80 in gas so yeah :)

EDIT: apparently I can't add, been a long day of classes, so it was more so $1,000

3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Even a small, pea sized rock could cost you hundreds or more. There's been a few instances of a small rock coming through the front grill openings and damaging the AC condenser, the inverter radiator, or the main coolant radiator.

In the event of the AC condenser damage, the loss of coolant and the resulting failure of the AC compressor is big $$$.

That's why I have installed fine mesh metal screening behind the upper and lower grill openings.

I feel your pain though, I also hit something on the freeway that caused a blowout and a bent rim a while back.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Mendel Leisk and Georgina Rudkus like this.
  4. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Here's a photo of my grille guard on my 2012 Prius v. grille guard.jpg

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I feel a project coming on... :)

xliderider and dubit like this.
  6. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Wait what?!?

How do you spend $80 on fuel for this? I know L.A. gas costs more; but I'm guessing you don't live that far from the 405 @ Devonshire where your dashcam showed the accident occurring... There are several Toyota dealers nearby, and heaps of non-Toyota-branded auto repair shops who would have been able to take care of this. Even making a couple of trips in that Toyota truck in your avatar picture, I don't get how you'd spend that much on fuel without a hole in the tank.

Tim Jones likes this.
  7. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    And here's a picture of the mesh behind the upper grill opening on my 2011 Prius three. 20170509_110121.jpeg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.