1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How Pious the Prius Party Poll

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by airportkid, May 4, 2006.

?
  1. I would never vote for someone who believes in a god or gods no matter how much I agree with his/her

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. In a contest between equals whose political stance I agree with, I would vote for the atheist first.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Neither atheism nor devout religious belief matter at all; my candidate’s political stance is all

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. In a contest between equals whose political stance I agree with, I would vote for the devout religio

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I would never vote for an atheist no matter how much I agree with his/her political stance.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I would never vote for someone who doesn’t believe in the exactly same god I do, or reads the wron

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It’s been said, sometimes with pride, that a non-white woman could get elected US President before an atheist ever could. Personally, I don’t think this speaks well for a country whose constitution expressly forbids intermingling of religion with public office – and even less well of a country which at the present moment would be incapable of even voting in a non-white woman to its highest office (although it cheerfully peoples its political offices at every level without the slightest discrimination with unrepentant whores). But perhaps the legion of Prius Voters is ahead of the rest of the country.

So, with the religious threads making up virtually all the fiber in Fred’s pancakes lately, and the November elections coming ominously at us like a bad breakfast date, I wondered how much a candidate’s personal religious beliefs (or lack of same) might make him/her so much lunchmeat to the Voter Who Owns A Prius.

I'm a #2 in the poll: Religious belief won't make me discard a worthwhile candidate, but I'd prefer an atheist if the choices were more or less equal.

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA

2. gilahiker

gilahiker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What about an option that says "religious belief won't make me discard a worthwhile candidate, but a candidate that trys to jam their religion/god/church down everyone's throat who they consider a non-believer and makes policy decisions solely on that belief will?"

3. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gilahiker @ May 4 2006, 07:10 PM) [snapback]249939[/snapback]</div>

That's just about how I feel about the subject.

4. gilahiker

gilahiker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DonDNH @ May 4 2006, 05:16 PM) [snapback]249945[/snapback]</div>
    Glad I'm not the only one...

5. BellBoy

BellBoy Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I voted for the person...not the religion. Unfortunately religion matters a whole hell of a lot (couldn't resist). So IMO, it would be close to political suicide for a candidate to come out and say, <strike>"I'm gay!"</strike> "I'm an athiest--vote for me!". So in the voter's minds they just heard, "hey all you religious idiots out there--vote for me!"

6. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hmmmm, USA greatest country in history +
    all US Presidents are/were Christians =
    Some kind of connection?

Wildkow

7. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ May 5 2006, 03:53 AM) [snapback]250125[/snapback]</div>
    George W. Bush = worst president in history
    George W. Bush = Christian
    Some kind of connection?

8. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

Honestly, I'd like to see someone who doesn't bring any form of bias into the office. HAHAHA.

While I'd vote for the athiest over an *equally* well matched/suited religious person, I'd just be happy to have someone who places importance on our liberties, education, our environment, and balancing the budget in the other direction for a while, and I'd vote for any cantidate that shared my priorities.

9. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i really don't care as long as they don't go around trying to get elected solely by appeal to a certain group of religious people.

using religion to your political advantage... that's downright nasty.

10. eyeguy13

eyeguy13 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ May 5 2006, 07:09 AM) [snapback]250147[/snapback]</div>
    Good one....

There has to be a separation of Church and State in the US. Our Founding Fathers intended it this way. The religious right would have us believe that we are a 'Christian Nation' but that is NOT what Jefferson, Paine, Adams, Washington, etc... wanted.

During the Civil War, Abraham Lincoln (a religious person) was asked what church he went to, he never answered since he believed in a separation of Church and State and it wasn't anyone's business but his own.

website for Americans United for Separation of Church and State....

http://www.au.org/site/PageServer

[attachmentid=3298]

11. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ May 5 2006, 06:39 AM) [snapback]250171[/snapback]</div>
    What she said. period.

Ha!!!!! Something we can agree together upon. I'll feeling giddy! :lol:

Wildkow

12. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ May 8 2006, 01:42 PM) [snapback]251561[/snapback]</div>
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

let me pick myself up off the floor...

:lol:

13. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ May 5 2006, 05:09 AM) [snapback]250147[/snapback]</div>
    A rather weak one since it is only one, compared to the fact that all US Presidents were Christians.

:eek:

Wildkow

p.s. Sorry for the cheap shot I couldn't resist I knew someone would bite though! :rolleyes:

14. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ May 8 2006, 03:24 PM) [snapback]251623[/snapback]</div>
    Oh, I forgot- you are the expert statistician, right? :)

15. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ May 5 2006, 05:09 AM) [snapback]250147[/snapback]</div>

Good thing you don't know anything

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ May 5 2006, 06:39 AM) [snapback]250171[/snapback]</div>

thats the democratic trick... they proclaim allegiance to a religious party in public but deny it in their personal lives.

I think its a moral obligation to admit your religious stance in public that you believe in private.

Politics have everything to do with religion because politics have to do with avocating and being an ambassador for the people. People are religious.

"using" religion is bad, but "being" religion is ok.

At least those who vote will know what they are voting for.

I would rather have someone who states his faith and is honest even if I don't agree with it rather than have someone who appears to take a religious stance when it is not in his heart at all and he is just "using" religion for his own personal political gain.

Study a candidate before he was running for office and see what his "and his families" religious stance was then.

16. eyeguy13

eyeguy13 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ May 8 2006, 11:49 PM) [snapback]251982[/snapback]</div>
    Ahhhhh, but how many Americans would vote for a Muslim Presidential candidate??? Or a Jewish candidate. I'm not attacking you, just a rhetorical question open to anyone.

My bet, not many.

Good example of what you stated above is George W. Bush. He HAS used religion to his personal gain. What was his first act upon entering office in 2000? Faith Based Initiative. Faith Based. The religious vote got him elected in 2004. There is no denying it. States fell red based on moral/religious issues. Period.

I really wish there was a true separation of Church and State.