1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How popular was the technology model?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Biscuitman, Apr 11, 2022.

1. Biscuitman

Biscuitman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Technology
    We have a 2016 technology model with a sunroof . When we bought it , it was only sold by dealers in Toronto , Montreal and Vancouver I believe.
    I have never seen another Prius gen 4 with a sunroof that this model featured.
    Am I just missing them or was it a very low seller ?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    low seller, but i don't have the numbers

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  4. MalachyNG

MalachyNG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I've noticed since they added awd-e that many northeast US dealers only seem to be allocated AWD models and the moonroof options aren't available on the AWDs. I had a 2016 Prius Four that had the moonroof upgrade packaging. That car was originally sold in Houston TX. When I was shopping for a new car this past fall I couldn't seem to locate any Prius with moonroof around my area (northern NY, VT, NH) as they were all AWD or Prius Primes (which also don't offer such a package)

It could be that Toyota is treating Quebec like the New England region of the US, only allocating AWDs

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't have exact numbers but there were 2,855 Prii sold in Canada in calendar year 2016.

Record Hybrid Sales Lead 4.2% Overall Sales Growth for Toyota Canada Inc. in 2016 | Toyota Canada

I'd imagine given that most of the Li-Ion battery models were sold in those three cities you mentioned, that may be why you haven't seen a lot of those around in Ottawa.

I'd imagine most were base models as it offered pretty good value for $26,000 (with an Upgrade package for $590 that brought in TSS-P and heated front seats). The Technology model started at $28,730 (with an option package to bring it to $31,990.

So yes, given that they were only sold in three cities for the first year, I suspect that's why there are so few of them. Plus, when the Prius Prime came out, it made it cheaper to buy than the regular Prius plus add in the lower fuel cost of electricity, that pretty much killed the regular Prius, especially once the Prime was made available nationwide for 2018. (2017 was Quebec only).

6. PaulDM

PaulDM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Moonroof never an option in the UK. Which is a real shame

7. Biscuitman

Biscuitman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Technology
    Thanks for the info.
    We had the dealer in Toronto add heated seats to the rear also, so ours may be unique .