1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How possible is for me to keep my 2010 prius for two decades?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Yiannifun, May 9, 2011.

1. Yiannifun

Yiannifun New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hello prius chatters.
    I plan to buy a brand new Prius here in greece, all gadget packs in, and im Really happy about it!
    Now, I will try to maintain it properly and take great care of it. Do you think it can last for two decades? I heared that cars filled with electronics dont last as much as the older cars..
    P.S. Now I am driving a Hiundai Coope GT, model of 92 and it still drives great! Do you think prius will beat it and still run great?:rolleyes:

2. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I still drive a 1993 Toyota Carina E with 417000km some days of the week. It has been serviced for clutch 2x, engine overhaul due to overheat, water pumps, radiator, etc. It asks for a gearbox already- All summed it sure goes above the price of a traction battery and a transaxle, which are the specific parts of a Prius vs Conventional...
    We see many 2001/2/3 Prii running, by this forum. I do believe another 10 years is very possible.

3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    What will stop you from keeping it that long is when a part fails that costs -more- than the book value of the car. Then only -YOU- will have the decision to keep the car running. It can be done, it just may not be worth it. Mainly because the new cars of that time may be so much better.

1 person likes this.
  4. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Assuming you can get parts and service, your Prius should become a wonderful antique. Why can't you keep it for 10 decades? There are lots of old cars around from the 20's, 30's, 40's etc. .

I'm hoping in 20 years, the Prius will be obsolete because of improved technology. Maybe gasoline engines will be obsolete by then!

1 person likes this.
  5. Teakwood

Teakwood Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The problem will be the bloody plastic, like the interior and the undercarriage coverings. The Japanese are noted for crappy plastic, and that is what will deteriorate fastest. Then there is all the little plastic stuff, like latches and such.

Nonetheless, if you keep it up, the vehicle should last as long as any Japanese car.

6. stefano5777

stefano5777 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius will last 2 decades no problem doubt everything in car will work then but car will still be around :D

7. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I expect our Prius to last 20 years, although some battery work/replacement is likely.

8. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    20 years - easy.

See my other post in response to your other post that you posted (used Benz).

Plus the fact that upgrade to PHEV kits will be out in force in another 5-10 years. So imagine your Prius being a better NEV full electric (below 60Kph) than the current tiny NEV's.
    Will be cheaper to upgrade than owning a 2nd electric car.

Gas here in Canada is roughly 5$ per US gallon, in Greece it's probably twice that. A typical gas car will consume more gas as it gets older, not less.

The Prius is the only car that can be changed to consume less!

1 person likes this.
  9. Nandros

Nandros Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You are asking a question that only you can reply. I noticed that you are just 18 years old. I bet 1 euro with you that after 3-5 years you will be looking for another car, hopefully a newer Prius!

Xairetismous

10. Yiannifun

Yiannifun New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I am more mature than you can bet ^^
    ((Eπίσης χαιρετίσματα)) :p

1 person likes this.
  11. Yiannifun

Yiannifun New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for all your info guys : )
    So, maintaining a prius for a long time costs less than a regular car would cost?

12. mikewithaprius

mikewithaprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yiannifun,

That's a brilliant question you're asking. When someone buys a high mpg vehicle to save energy, but purchases a new one every couple years, well, that's the opposite of low consumption.

Hope you get to keep yours for a very long time!

13. Yiannifun

Yiannifun New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I really would like to have a car that correaponds to my personality! I love ecology, i love saving emergy, i dont like noise, i love how prii look like!! Anyway, i woudnt want to give it away in a couple of years, first of all because of what you just memtioned and secondly, because i tend to get "sensitive attractive?" to objects that make my life better and show my personality to others!
    Running costs exept of fuel?
    What are your experiences?

14. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Better start looking for running costs in the 2 Gen forum, 100k mile club, 200k mile, 299+k mile...threads.

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well the brake pads will last a long time (they're rarely used thanks to regenerative braking). I would think in that 20 years, the battery would be replaced at least once (It is expected to last the life of the car which Toyota estimates ~15 years).

16. Yiannifun

Yiannifun New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    aw thanks!!! im new in the community ^^
    yeah i ll sure have a look!!!

17. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Best Bang For The Buck - used G2 (2005-2009) Prius - get it as old, worn, with as many KM as you can possibly get.

Thus - cheapest price.

Keep it 4-5 years, zero repairs (unless an accident). Wipers are cheap. Tires cost a bit more, but way less than a sports car. Some oil changes.

Then sell it for like 1,000 E and buy a G4 Prius - or my personal choice, a used, 3yr old Lexus CT200h. Most people are leasing them (3 - 4 yr contracts). Buy it from the dealer at half price.

The CT200h being basically a G3 Prius with a luxury shell and sport looks.

So you buy used twice, in the next 10 years, all the while upgrading.

In the next 10 years you'll have spent less $$$ overall than getting, today, a used Diesel Benz or BMW that 10 years old.

Plus polluting way, WAY, less per every KM travelled. But that's just a plus, a bonus, not a selling point. The "bonus" with the Benz/BMW being the luxury interior VS the Prius.