1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

how power is placed on the road?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by didnotwantaprius, Jul 9, 2008.

1. didnotwantaprius

didnotwantaprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    look i know that the prius has no transmission, but can anyone tell me how the power is placed on the road?

i know that the engine is connected to the electric motor,
    and that i've been told it is direct drive.

but i'm still not beliving. when i'm going up a long grade and i plant my foot into the gas, it feels like it is slipping like a bad tranzmision.

If there is any way this can be adjusted, I'm in because this my only problem with the car.

the rest i have learned to live with and embrace the future in my prius.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: how

You need a quick visit to John's Stuff - Toyota Prius and more for a great resource for the basics of how a Prius works including diagrams, articles, etc.

The Prius has a transmission, of sorts, in the form of a power split devise that controls the energy flow and allows the power flow to MG2 which drives a chain attached to the front axle that propels the car.

MG1 (motor generator 1) acts as the starter for the ICE and as a generator to convert energy from the ICE (internal combustion engine) to electricity and send that to the battery.
    MG2 acts as the main drive motor for the wheels and as the main generator for regenerative braking. Computers control the dance through the PSD (power split device, aka transaxle)

3. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Re: how

My understanding is that the transmission people in car companies are resisting the move to electric cars, which don't need transmissions. Internal politics is a huge problem to innovation in large corporations--where you are replacing existing technology the company is producing. It is often insurmountable.

That's why, for example, it might be easier for Walmart to produce an electric car than Ford or GM.