1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How safe do you feel in your own home?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by AuntBee, Nov 8, 2006.

1. AuntBee

AuntBee New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I live in a fairly "safe" neighborhood and until very recently never felt the need or use for home security system. But my house was burglarized Sunday. I came home to find my deadbolted back door pried open with a crowbar and my house ransacked. Only things taken were jewelry, jewelry boxes, watch etc, and my peace of mind. Stayed home from work past two days to have security system installed and contruction work begun in repairing what the burglars destroyed. I'm just greatful I wasn't here when it happened and that my pets were unharmed. Also glad they didn't take my computer :)

Anybody else out there experienced home invasion/burglary? Do you ever feel safe again?

2. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

When I was about 16 I came home to a burglary in progress, but didn't realize it. I saw all the ransacking and we noticed later a bunch of money spilled all over the floor in the garage from where they must have heard me come home and left in a hurry.

When I was in grad school walking to my car after class I was mugged. That was much scarier. I gave up my purse & the guy ran off.

I took these as positives; as lessons in personal safety. In both cases, it could have been a LOT worse. When I was living by myself I had a security system installed. Since my b/f moved in, we had it turned off.

I'm sorry about your bad experience, but very glad you are ok!

3. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AuntBee @ Nov 8 2006, 12:33 AM) [snapback]345301[/snapback]</div>
    We were burglarized in mid-day a couple of years ago. Thieves had been hitting houses in the area, we were warned in advance that this was going on. We had been setting our alarm.

Then they hit our house one day, threw a patio chair through the back window and set the alarm off. Damned if they came in anyway. Went straight to our bedroom and took a jewelry box and ran out the front door. Police did show up within 10 minutes, but it was too late.

We were lucky to have alarm on, reports were that they has spent much more time at other houses cleaning them out. We had good stuff all over the place, but they decided to go for the jewelry. Also, my office looks like it has been ransacked already, so maybe they thought someone else had already beaten them to the house.... :lol:

4. CMonster

CMonster Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Burglary yes. We were out of town for four days, they made themselves comfortable. They ate the food out of the fridge, left the wrappers and trash strewn about. They took all the valuables, including the washer.

You do eventually rebuild a sense of safety. Bad things can happen at any moment, but don't live your life in fear of that moment. Take reasonable precautions, like the alarm, strong locks, lighting, neighborhood watch, etc. Once you've done that, que sera, sera.

5. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I live in a small town (900 people and 900 dogs) in the Midwest. I always thought I was safe. My house was burglarized about 3 years ago. They got approx $50,000 in goods and stock certs. ect.. I also went through a period of identity theft as a result (make sure all of your checks are accounted for and check your credit report...they could have gotten numbers off of mail at your house).
    I did not feel safe for a long time. I even threw out all pop and food from the frig. You don't know what they might have done to it.
    I got very little help from law enforcement (small town and all). I checked pawn shops in the larger towns and tracked down the crooks myself and even captured one myself (another long but interesting story). They are both in prison at this time and are suppose to pay restitution at some point. I am not holding my breath.
    All important papers and valuables are in the safety deposit box at the bank. I should have been smart enough to have done that before all this happened.
    Good luck. Keep an eye out for the next 6 to 8 months. Sometimes they wait to use your information thinking you will not catch it. ;)

6. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

I have been lucky where I have lived. In over a half-century of my life the only house I ever lived in which was locked regularly was in a big city and it WAS burgled. Except for living in the big city for those 3 years I have always lived either in the suburbs or the country and have never had a burglary problem, even tho I NEVER lock my doors. I bought my house about a dozen years ago and at that time the old owners gave me the only key they had to the house. I have no idea where it has been for the past dozen years. I've gone so far as to rush out of the house for a weekend trip only to return to find I left the front door open wide when I left, but so far nary a problem. I regularly take 2-4 week trips and return to an unlocked house. Just lucky I guess?

7. jared2

jared2 New Member

A lot safer than an Iraqi.

8. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AuntBee @ Nov 7 2006, 09:33 PM) [snapback]345301[/snapback]</div>
    I sympathize with the violation of your home. It will probably take some time before you feel real safe again and that is the worst thing this thug has done to you. These things are usually random so it might make you feel a little better to know that you've had your "turn" and are very unlikely to have it happen again.

Get hold of a security sign or sticker from an agency somehow. It has been shown that, even if no real service is attached, the sign acts as a deterrent. It's easier for a burglar to go elsewhere and not take the chance.

Good luck and try to regain some calmness.

9. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I do not believe there is anything to make a person feel as Violated/victimized as a burglary to thier home.

It only takes 2 people 10 min to ransak a home and steal what they want and leave. This is why its good to report any suspicious vehicles or people in your neighborhood to the police. Its better to be to cautious than ignor it be cause they are not at your house you may be next....

There have been teams of two one rings the door bell and tells you he/shes lost, while the other enters the home from the back and they take a purse then leave later you find your purse gone...

Locks keep the honest people out of things, If a bad guy wants in hes going to get in audible alarms work well so do outside lights..

most burglaries happen between 10a-5p while your at work..... I would suggest an alarm aim the siren at a neighbors house and get a dog with a big bark. other wise leave a radio on loud so you can hear it just out side the front and back of your home, if at night leave a tv on and a light.. makes the bad guy think your home...

;)

10. jared2

jared2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Nov 8 2006, 12:45 PM) [snapback]345583[/snapback]</div>

Let's here it for nosey neighbours - the best home security system in the universe, and they work for free.

11. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Nov 8 2006, 12:48 PM) [snapback]345586[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes the retired ones are the best!!!! aim a siren speaker at thier house too.... ;)

Its really not funny though, I go to home burglaries and knock on neighbors doors to see if they have seen anything...? neighbor: yeah I saw this blue van driving real slow down the street :eek: police: I ask why didnt you call us? neighbor: I didnt want to bother anyone... :blink: police well thank you but in the future if its not reported we dont know about it......

12. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Someone recently broke the windows on the backside of my home (which is a big bummer because they also broke the original glass and the nearly 90-year old mullions, too)...and, without giving out too many details, suffice to say that it was investigated as a hate crime against me specifically.

It wasn't a robbery per se, but I really felt violated afterwards, especially since it became increasingly apparent that it was probably the handiwork of my next door neighbor.

I'm not sure I'll ever feel 'right' about living there again...on the other hand, I'm sure not going to let whomever did this claim a victory. I'm *lots* tougher than that!

Try your best to move on and gradually reclaim your life; I hope and suspect that your feeling of safety will also return gradually.

Here's something else I do, which you might (or might not) find helpful. I try to 'take the system back' in other ways. For example, this afternoon I was coming back from a meeting and had just entered the paid area of BART (the local rapid transit system) when these two ruffian types jumped the fairgates.

This sort of thing *really* bothers me, so I followed them down to the lower level of the station, where the trains arrive and depart...and confronted them. They totally ignored me, like I was a fool to even mention this, but I kept saying that "I'm not going to stand for what you've just done."

They replied by calling me names, then told me there was nothing I could do.

I replied that, actually, I have the BART police number in my cell phone (I showed them the display) and said that I was going to call the police.

They walked away from me.

So I followed them, saying really loudly,"you're in here illegally, and I'm calling the police..." and just kept next to them wherever they went as I began to call.

Suddenly, they both made a run for it back up the steps; I followed them (fortunately wasn't wearing a skirt that day) all the way up yelling "I've called the cops and they're coming to arrest you!!!" as they ran out of the station and back up to the street.

Make sure to choose your battles (I never would have done this if there weren't so many people around) but good people *do* have the ability to take it back.

My Dad used to tell me that bullies are never as tough as they appear; I believe it!

13. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    HATE CRIME? Are you sure your not meaning your neighbor doesn't like you and possibly broke your windows...?.. HATE CRIMES normally involve spray painting of racial slurs, burning crosses, ect. ect.
    :(

Vandalisim / Criminal mischief, can be any type of property crime ie: broken windows, car getting keyed, egged car or home, damaging a mailbox or fence, spray painting gang signs or pictures on cars homes or driveways, or water in the gas tank and never stealing any property... :mellow:

either way its not fun having to deal with the crime or the cost to fix.. :(

Alot of people watch CSI the TV show :rolleyes: :lol: :lol: :lol: about 10% of the show is correct the rest is Holly Wood... It's next to impossible to lift prints from rough plastic, leatherette grained plastic or textured wood surfaces unless you use a special process.. If its a smooth surface and its touched we'll get prints! p.s. yes you can get prints from the inside of latex gloves! ;)

I had a couple demand I dust their wood dresser for prints (they had bright white carpet! Well I dusted and the floor was a nice shade of grey around the dresser and they had to pay some one to come out and clean the carpet, oh and no prints....
    ;)

14. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Nov 8 2006, 08:18 PM) [snapback]345938[/snapback]</div>
    There were, indeed, slurs spray-painted upon the exterior walls of my home.

There have also been earlier instances of threats (you're lucky we don't mess with you, etc.) and my neighbors have also called the police because they were concerned for my safety.

I don't fly rainbow flags from a flagpole or post any messages supporting any political party or position...but somehow they decided I am 'liberal values' brought to life.

It's really creepy to think that someone can hate me that much.

I can't lie, it takes just about all the relentless optimism I can muster to work through stuff like this...
    ...but work through it, I will.

15. chimohio

chimohio New Member

Haven't had anything happen here (OH) but when I lived in Italy they tried to break into our house twice but we basically caught them in the act (and they ran off) both times. This was in a 2 month period. Then never tried again so all in all we have been lucky.

16. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Nov 8 2006, 12:45 PM) [snapback]345583[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry. Rape trumps it, I feel certain.

17. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    A friend got tired of his house being burglarized, so he decided to put on a monitored alarm.
    - It did no good.

So he added more stickers and outside sirens and lights.
    - Still did no good.

He then put up cameras and “smile for the cameras†stickers.
    - Burglarized again! The images were not good enough to make any identification as the thieves kept their heads down.

Finally he put in five extremely loud sirens and flashing lights INSIDE the house – they were on a 15 second delay.
    - Burglarized again! . . . but this time he had pictures of three guys running away, empty handed, because their fingers were in their ears. :lol:

That was the last time anyone messed with his house. I guess they were worried about what he would have in store for them next time.

He did the same for his car alarm. If it is louder than normal, he knows it's not a false alarm. :D

18. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Nov 8 2006, 08:42 PM) [snapback]345954[/snapback]</div>
    Wow that would be extreme. :(
    LOL, yeah your right, the louder the better for alarm sirens. The ultamate home alarm siren is the Klaxon GP10 [​IMG]
    http://www.klaxonsignals.com/outdoor-warning-pages/gp10.htm
    maximised sound coverage of 140dB and emits a traditional 'air raid siren' sound.
    sure to "WAKE the DEAD" and your neighbors for 5 block radius...

We have responded to a home where they have been hit 10 times w/no leads. they finally installed infared day/night color motion activated cameras that are disguised as flood lights and cover the perimiter and the street. They caught the 2 neighborhood kids breaking in on camera.. ^5 to high tech cameras! :)

I guess I have to speak in exact terms It really makes a person feel Violated/victimized when they have a burglary occur to thier home.. :mellow:

As for RAPE, Yes that would make a person feel more victimized/violated physicly and make he/she distrust the the male/female that initiated the RAPE, and cause permanent mental scars.. The victim never really truely gets over the truama caused by the incident.. :(

19. Locust43

Locust43 New Member

My house was broken into at 3:00 A.M a few months ago. We have a Brinks home security system with the traditional siren speaker sound. My kids and I were at home and sleeping. At 3:00 A.M someone kicked in the back door which set the alarm off instanly and I heard the door being intruded. My son was in his room next to the living room and I was upstairs with my daughter. My son locked his door, hit the panic police button on the alarm to let them know someone was in the house because the intruder was heading upstairs. About 10 seconds after the alarm went off I knew what was going on so I grabbed my home phone and dialed 911 and told them that someone was breakin in and my son was possibly downstairs with the intruder. After less than 2 Minutes of me dialing 911 the police were blaring down the street with lights and sirens on. Of couse now all the neighbors run outside. There were 4 Police cars in my yard and the intruder was in the guest room trying to steal my computer and the police apprehended the suspect. We later found out the intruder was a 21 year old male. He was not from the area. I felt violated and very upset, I took my kids and we stayed with my mom for a few days until I could get a new door and I felt safer. I am pretty ok now because I have a good police force and they responded very quickly ( I am in Hoover, AL if you know where that is, there is quite a bit of robberies from people outside the area)

But I was so confused why the burglar stayed in the house and continued to try to rob my hosue even with the alarm going off. I was told that most burglars think they have at least 45 seconds until the alarm even calls the monitoring station and then another 5 Minutes for the police to arrive. I think if my son had not hit panic and I didnt call 911 he would have gotten away. I am still paranoid now and now have a stun gun by my bed just in case.

20. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes. You eventually do get over the anger and feeling of being violated.

Came home to find VCRs gone and a window kicked in. The window itself was fine but they broke the stops etc. (Wooden double hung.) I repaired it but it's still not the same. The neighbor in the upstairs apartment next door even heard it. I'm not sure if she saw the guy leaving. But she was Mexican and probably illegal so didn't call the cops. Told me about it later. Gee...thanks lady.

He went in the bedroom to take a pillow case to put the VCRs in. I had two. He pulled the cables out of the backs with the connections so even if he sold them (for crack) they'd still need to be prepared. I'm sure he'd get 20 bucks for the two of them but not much more. He left the remotes.

Karma eventually caught up with him. He had pulled similar thefts in houses around the community. They caught him, arrested him, got some of the stuff back (my neighbor never got her mother's heirloom ring back). When he was out on bail he got hit by a city bus and lost either an arm or a leg. Whatever. He won't be burglarizing any homes again. He can't climb in and can't run carrying the stuff he stole anymore.

(And no, he didn't sue the city. It was his fault.)

I hope the crack head is dead from an overdose now. Sudden involuntary amputation was too good for him. I hope he got bad stuff and died slow and in agony.

What did I do? No reason to change the locks as he kicked in a back window. So I put bars on three windows. They are the ones low enough for there to be any chance of climbing in. The others are so far off the ground you'd need a ladder, a buddy to boost you or are in plain sight of neighbors who are home all of the time. (She's gone. The new one speaks english and is nosy as hell. She'd call the cops pronto.)

And I got a dog. Then two.

They've passed on now but I have another dog.

I'll always have dogs. (Okay, I love dogs.)

Best deterrants for break ins:

1. Nosey neighbors. Neighbors who know who belongs and will call the cops when something funny is going on.

2. Dog. Doesn't have to be big or mean. Even the little, yappy ones are a deterrant. Ever been bit in the ankle by a Yorkie or Pug? Bigger *is* better. And as long as they sound and look mean no burglar is going to take a chance.

3. Burglar Alarm. Notice it's third on the list? I don't bother. I do have deadbolts on all of the doors.

note: I do not live in a great neighborhood. It's low economic but not a slum. There were problems with hookers and drug dealers for a few years. But the neighbors constantly called the cops and went outside and just made themselves seen and annoying. Drug dealers don't like being watched. They left. It took aobut five years of constant vigilence. Now I only have problems with taggers. But....I don't leave my garage door open with power tools visible either.