1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How similar is Prius to Corolla?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by prius2go, Sep 24, 2006.

1. prius2go

prius2go Member

How similar is Prius to Corolla?
    I'm sure this must have been asked before
    Are many of the bits and pieces common in other Toyotas
    :)

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prius2go @ Sep 24 2006, 03:02 AM) [snapback]324185[/snapback]</div>
    if your really curious go and rent one for a day. No comparing a s**t box to a Prius. Opps sorry but I just tell it like I see it. Got a Matirx (essentially a Corolla wagon) for a loaner, less than 6000 miles on it and if that's the state of small to mid size vehicles, there are a lot of people out there that really have their sights set too low. Oh and it's a gas hog.

3. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prius2go @ Sep 24 2006, 06:02 AM) [snapback]324185[/snapback]</div>
    I think they share a few paint choices.

4. tmgrl3

tmgrl3 Member

uh....let's see what I can add...

They're both made by Toyota?

Hmmmm....

You'll just have to drive 'em both and the come back and tell us what you think.

terri

5. Bearcatzzz

Bearcatzzz Junior Member

More room in a Prius.

6. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prius2go @ Sep 24 2006, 05:02 AM) [snapback]324185[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, it has been asked many times before. And the topic quickly dies, because there is so much different it becomes a rather pointless discussion.

Both my parents and my sister have Corollas... both just a few years old (the newest model) and both white (which is somewhat annoying being the same color). Anywho, there are a ton of visual/interface differences. But what most people totally overlook is the engine. There is absolutely no comparison. The Corolla doesn't run anywhere near as smooth, which is very obvious when idling. The different pumping cycle used by Prius is a nice enhancement.

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    While I have an urge to side with the 'no comparison' side of the group I think I'll ask you to clarify your question.

I got the impression you were asking less about functionality and more about specific components.

For instance, they share the same wheel bolt pattern. They may share similar suspension systems, but I have no knowledge of that.

You should know that the Prius was not built based upon the Corolla, or any other car for that matter. It was designed pretty much ground up. That said, a few components that were proven and reliable were used and/or modified for the Prius from other cars...not necessarily the Prius. For instance, the ICE is the same engine as the Echo but modified from an Otto cycle to an Atkinson cycle system.

But, again, to acknowlege the flow of voices. Functionally, appearance, and major component wise there really are not similarities b/w the Prius and Corolla other than being close in size and space.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They share the cruise control stalk and they have the same suspension design (MacPherson struts up front and a torsion beam at the rear)

9. Frank Hudon

I'll have to add that when your not used to the noise of the engine running all the time and the "brutal" shifts, you'll come to really appreciate the Prius. Anything else is... well just Priustoric

10. erogla

erogla New Member

about as much simalarity as Tipper Gore is Paris Hilton

11. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think all the responses are correct, but I'll add mine in the "driveability" area.

The Corolla, the Corolla Matrix, the Camry 4 cylinder and some competing cars were on my short list of cars to consider (the Prius was not, until I drove it). Below are my impressions of the cars, without any regard to the hard data published about the cars. YMMV.

Interior room (space within the "cockpit", shoulder room, head room for driver, back seat space for passengers):
    The Prius feels roomier for the driver than the Corollas, and just slightly less than the standard Camry. The Camry has a bit more shoulder room, as you feel you are not seated as close to the door. However, head room for me (I'm 5' 10") was as good or better in the Prius. While my car is a commuter car, and I'm not that concerned about back seat comfort, I did note the Prius seems roomier than the Corollas for the back seat occupants. My judgement was that the Camry was the same as the Prius, although the same "narrower" feeling was evident, and I think that would be a factor when three were in the back seat.

Power:
    In this category, the Prius wins hand's down. For me, "power" is all about being able to merge onto the freeway and get up to 65 in the short space provided on many on-ramps. If its uphill, the Corollas will see you forced on the shoulder to avoid being run over by that H2 thundering by. The Camry 4 cylinder seemed slightly better. The Prius, however, beats out my company's 4.6L (or whatever) 4x4 behemouth pickup on on-ramps, zooming through the low end without any hesitation. Going up the Conejo Grade, one of the steepest highway climbs in California and one which forces most small cars to the truck lanes, my Prius motors up at 75 mph easily with just me in it ... until I get slowed by some yahoo in a SUV who is on the phone. And no annoying down shifting.

Interior noise:
    Again, the Prius is the winner here, with a much quieter ride than either Corolla, and, to my ear, quieter even than the 2006 Camry 4 cylinder I test drove. I judged this based on my total impression while driving, including that death-defying freeway entrance test. I discounted the screams from the passengers from the results.

Interior comfort:
    The seats in the Prius are more comfortable for me than the standard Corolla, but surprisingly the Matrix seemed just as comfortable (while parked), and I wondered if they are the same part number. The standard Camry seats were horrible; worse for me than the standard Corrolla seats. But this is the one area where all of these small cars are absolutely horrible in comparison to the big, roomy, multi-adjustable seats found in SUVs and other larger cars. But in comparison to the Corolla and Camry, the seats are "better" (the relative term having me frown, as I think all of them have horrible seats intended for Isaac Asimov's "Heechees" rather than humanoids).

12. Rick Grahn

Rick Grahn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have both a '05 prius and an '06 corolla. Because I am unfamiliar with the techical specifics, I can give you subjectively my impression.

Corolla (vs Prius):
    <blockquote> Corolla accelerates faster from the line/stop sign.
    Corolla is louder at all speeds.
    Corolla is "tighter" around corners (I have the BT stiffening plate)
    Corolla has more comfortable front seats, less comfortable back seats.
    Prius is way more cool to drive.
    My wife likes her Corolla more than my Prius.
    I like my Prius more than her Corolla.
    Same route (short in-town distances): Prius gets about 10 MPG more
    Same route (long in-town distances): Prius gets 15 MPG more
    Same route (long highway distances): Prius gets about 18 MPG more
    Noone asks my wife what kind of mileage she gets in the Corolla:)
    Does Corolla even have a forum?</blockquote>

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah it does..

9thgencorolla.com or sth like that.

I was looking at the Corolla actually (don't flame me!) before I got the Prius. I was looking at a loaded LE model with leather, moonroof, side/side curtains and so forth (ABS, foglights, wood, alloys are standard in Canada). The front seats were quite comfortable and the ABS worked well. The suspension is definitely stiffer than the 8th gen Corolla and the steering wheel is better weighted than the gen 8 Corolla and Prius.

There is a recall for early 2003 Corollas regarding the rear torsion beam.

What else do I know? hmm... It's definitely more spacious in the Prius in terms of headroom and legroom but shoulderroom remains almost equal. I like the wood trim on the Corolla LE as it adds a bit of warmth to the beige interior.

To be honest, for the same price, I'd take the loaded 05 Corolla LE over a 05 Matrix XR Pkg "B" (Moonroof, 17" alloys, ABS, foglights, tyre pressure monitoring system) as the Matrix seems like a typical compact Toyota of the mid 90s (even with the ghetto rear power window switches from the 90s)

14. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Grahn @ Sep 24 2006, 03:18 PM) [snapback]324420[/snapback]</div>
    Was this a typo? Or maybe you like to accelerate very gently in the Prius? I believe the Prius accelerates faster from a stop or from any given starting speed than the Corolla.

The HSD provides significantly more acceleration than any other car with an engine of similar displacement. Only with a much larger engine are you going to find faster acceleration than the Prius.

A lot of Prius owners like to accelerate gently to improve mpg. And while this may be valid, and of more concern to Prius owners than to the public at large, the computerized throttle control means that you can floor the pedal without fear of hurting the engine. And when you do floor it, it really takes off. (Caveat: if your last car was a Corvette or a Mustang, the Prius is going to seem slow.)

15. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I figure it would more be the 'feel' of acceleration is faster than the Prius. The gearing, and it's agressive kick from a stop in econoboxes makes it seem quicker. My parents' Yaris whips your head back when you floor it from a stop, but it's not anywhere near the accleration of the Prius.

16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I do believe a manual Corolla is a tad faster than the Prius. The automatic should be on par.

17. Frank Hudon

Manual tranny ??? let's keep it an apples to lime's comparison. No clutch involved at all, that's something that Zack Spencer would do :blink:

18. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ Sep 24 2006, 08:03 PM) [snapback]324507[/snapback]</div>
    The Prius accelerates to a peak of 0.5Gs but the PSD keeps it smooth. Anybody want to measure the other cars?

19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon @ Sep 24 2006, 09:57 PM) [snapback]324539[/snapback]</div>
    That's why I said the automatic should be on par. I've never driven a manual Corolla so I'm just using the numbers. We have had 2 Corollas before (Gen 7 and Gen 8) so I do know how they drive.

haha.. Zack. I like that guy but his anti-hybrid sentiments aren't justified. He casually said the Jetta TDI goes to 60 in 13.1 seconds but yet he calls the other hybrids "slow". Not to mention, that Jetta (which I'm sure is his doing) got 6.8 on that route while the Prius got 5.2. Oh, and it's a manual. He also didn't seem happy about the Camry used instead of the Corolla lol.