1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How speeding can waste a year or so of gas in a morning

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Chuck., Sep 7, 2010.

1. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    For years various forums have had gearheads shouting speeding is safer.

They are going to have a hard time explaining my morning rush hour commute...actually it can't.

Same thing happens in any major US metro area, but it was raining the day after Labor Day in Dallas...three different wrecks causing gridlock each time over the 23 miles I drove. Depending on the commute, 30-50% more fuel is burned for that trip among thousands of cars. Think it's safe to say the gas consumed in those gridlocks this morning equate a year's worth of gas for one or more members. Check the difference between city and highway mpg on Fuel Economy - it's about 30% ...difference between freeway and gridlock is more pronounced.

Dallas has amongst the worst DUI problems, but I'll discount it and suspect it was the first day of the workweek, hurried, and distracted people, lack of respect for rainy conditions, and jumping into HOV lanes illegally.

For years, gearheads have declared the slower drivers are the problem and mornings like this is what hypermilers do ... sorry, but the wrecked consisted of sports cars and SUVs, one sedan.

Lost track of gearheads saying hypermilers waste gas by enticing tailgaters to floor their cars (because they were not paying attention) .... I would not be suprized if they somehow rationalize the wrecks in Dallas this morning were the fault of frustrated tailgaters that floored it.

I'm not saying all speeders are careless or reckless, but I see or read way more high speed collisions than low speed ones .... gridlock burns a lot of gas in places like Dallas.

2. deltron3030

deltron3030 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    While I mostly agree, it's worth noting that simply because they are trucks and sports cars listed as part of those unfortunate accidents do not necessarily mean they were speeding. hope everyone was ok.

I've been through Texas in the rain and there are some areas that came down so hard that visibility gets close to nil and all one could do was keep some distance and follow the tail lights ahead of you

3. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    deltron3030,

The main thing I was attempting to point out is the wrecked cars were not fuel economy types that would not meet the speeding profile - hope this helps.

The most likely cause on I635 in Dallas is illegally moving into the HOV lane ... people from behind often don't have time to slow down for those that cut into the HOV lane.

The rain this morning was light - more of a road surface than a visibility problem.

4. Mike_10

Mike_10 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good original post. Just to realize that --even in general-- driving in rush hour makes no sense and that everyone should try to avoid it if possible (alternative hours and/or public transportation).

Anyway. One quick response to:

It's off topic, but still:

I was in Dallas TX recently and was amazed with the fact that I had to become a "member" of a "club" to order a single glass of red wine in a bar... They had to explain this guy what a dry area is...

I wonder: Does Dallas have high DUI rates and that's why there are these dry-areas? Or have the dry areas been in effect for quite some time and do we now actually know that it doesn't help???

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    They have dry areas because Texas is a southern state. A bunch of conservative people got control of those states a long time ago. The effects are still obvious. Look at what Texas does to school text books.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  6. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Dallas has been mostly dry for a long time. The only liquor-laden area is just east of I35E from downtown to I635 along the red-light Harry Hines Ave.

My guess is DUI did not factor in this morning's wrecks.

7. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Perhaps it was DWT: Driving While Texan. :p

Tom

8. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    People will go back and forth on this forever - speeding causes wrecks, going slow causes wrecks....

But in reality, its the speed differential that causes accidents. Traveling at any speed other than the general flow of traffic causes problems. It causes people to change lanes, potentially leading to an accident. It causes people to brake suddenly and hard, or to accelerate quickly while passing. Traveling at a speed significantly different from those around you is dangerous for everyone on the road.

Lets put up a hypothetical situation: Two people are going down the highway at the posted speed limit, one behind the other. They come over a rise to find someone traveling significantly less than the posted limit (say 45 in a 65 zone). The one in front hits his brakes fairly hard when he gets close and realizes the person isn't going to speed up, and the person behind (who was distracted changing the radio or something) doesn't notice and hits them. The slowpoke sees the accident in his rear view mirror and keeps driving, oblivious to the fact that he indirectly caused it.

In this situation, you wouldn't know, just looking at it, what the root cause of the accident was. You won't know that the SUVs or convertibles were actually traveling at the speed limit.

So please, lets leave off blaming one group or the other without actually knowing what happened. It's entirely possible that everyone involved in every accident you saw this morning was going at or under the speed limit when the accident happened. So please, lets avoid blaming one group of people (slow poke hypermilers or gearheads)...

9. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Again, I mentioned the vehicles involve to suggest it was not an fuel economy car, therefore they must have been going too slow (as some would suggest)....

Speaking of speed differential, cutting improperly into an HOV lane is a lot of the accidents in the area I remarked on.

Lots of aggressive driving in my area, as in bolting into any open lane before looking...with rush hour traffic and rain, accidents are bound to happen and thousands suffer for one person's haste. :(

10. Mike_10

Mike_10 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well said, although you shouldn't forget that the ability to drive a car factors in too...

I've recently passed the road test in Massachusetts and 10 yrs ago the one in California and can tell you that they both were a joke compared to driving tests in Western European countries.

In Germany, on parts of the Autobahn where there is no speed limit, the fast guys are on the left and the slow guys on the right. Same in France where the speed limit on the freeway usually is 130 km/h (=80 MPH). I haven't read all the research but the speed difference of the cars on the roads does not cause significant accidents there.

People in those countries are rigorously trained to check traffic from behind before even thinking about a lane change. And if you're not trained, you won't pass the driving test.

1 person likes this.
  11. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Speed differential is sufficient for causing accidents, but not necessary. High speed can lead to accidents even without a differential, as can be seen with single car accidents.

Slow speed, on the other hand, is incapable of causing an accident without a speed differential. I suppose one might die of old age, but they won't leave the road surface from driving too slowly.

Tom

12. Mike_10

Mike_10 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Agree. The slow speed is not capable of causing an accident but the person who drives at slow speed still can ;)

13. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't tested the theory again recently, but I've found the speed differential between my bike and the ground can be fairly painful. ;)

1 person likes this.
  14. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Where I do much of my driving, the most deadly speed differentials are, in order:
    (1) against oncoming traffic;
    (2) against objects affixed to the ground;
    (3) against traffic going the same direction.
    Driving faster worsens #1 and #2 much more than it helps #3.

As long as I keep seeing the 'speed differential causes accidents' folks keep their speeds high on the non-divided highways, I'll keep dismissing this argument as an immature excuse to drive fast.

This isn't a speed differential problem, it is a driving-too-fast-for-conditions problem. Stationary objects on the road will be even worse than cars going 20 mph under the prevailing speed.

1 person likes this.
  15. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Reason I did this thread is the numerous times at various forums and responses to online articles I see remarks like this:
    The vast majority of the time, they would not be tailgating me if they looked at least 200 yards ahead. ;) More importantly, they chose to peel around me - I will not feel guilty about their bad driving.

I remember such assine guilt trips when I read articles about reckless driving and have to go by such wrecks. In the real world, at least 90% of the drivers are speeding, I often see weaving vehicles that can't stay behind anyone more than a few seconds, etc.

Days like yesterday when I faced gridlock several times, the accidents were in the HOV lane - not the shoulder and not someone smashed behind a 18-wheeler.

As hard as some speeders have a fantsy rant on the internet that slow drivers are causing all the accidents, reality clearly says it's them and they can't deal with it.

16. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    They do have a point. If you removed all slower drivers from in front of them, they would have nothing to hit. So there is your answer: one car per road. Or perhaps we could use a staggered start, where the fastest drivers get to go first. :rolleyes:

Still, that doesn't help with trees, signs, and bridge abutments. ;)

Tom

17. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Here in Atlanta, the ability to drive is a major contributor (or maybe I should say the inability to drive)! I was passed in the suicide lane (center turn lane) yesterday because I had left a car and a half distance between me and the car in front of me! Obviously the jerk who was tailgating me thought I was wasting precious asphalt! Speed limit was 45, I was doing 48, same as the flow of traffic speed... It's idiots like that that cause accidents! And guess what, two miles down the road, I was right next to him at a traffic light!

I lived in Germany for three years, they do it right there! You're more apt to get a ticket for impeeding the flow of traffic than speeding (they do have speed zones monitored by cameras). And, large trucks are confined to the slow lane and are only allowed out of the slow lane to pass a slower vehicle! Implementing these rules (and enforcing them) here in the states would go a long way toward reducing the problems on the road...

1 person likes this.
  18. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    EXACTLY!

These are the ones on the net trying to blame everyone else.

19. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    First off, I'm obviously a "speed differential causes accidents" guy... but i don't keep my speeds unnecessarily high anywhere, and I don't advocate driving faster than safety allows for the given road and conditions. This isn't an immature excuse to drive fast - it's reality.

Driving unnecessarily slow creates problems in the flow of traffic. It causes people to change lanes, to brake suddenly, and to tailgate. Someone doing 40 miles and hour on the highway is just as big a danger as someone doing 80. Someone who doesn't accelerate quickly when turning onto a road or merging onto the highway is a big danger.

When I'm driving, my problem isn't the guy coming the other way - if he stays in his lane and I stay in mine, we're fine. It's all the idiots going the same direction as me. It's the idiots who pull out in front of me going 30 miles and hour less than I am. It's the idiots who tailgate me. It's the idiots that speed past me and cut me off. If everyone drove at a sensible speed with the flow of traffic, we could reduce accidents by a ton.

For your example of an undivided highway (which I drive down several with high speed limits on a regular basis)... If there are two lanes in both directions, and everyone actually went at a reasonable speed with the flow of traffic, who would stay in the more dangerous left lane for long? You might pull over there for a mile to give room for someone turning onto the road, but then merge back to the right.

Speeders are a problem... but so are those that go unnecessarily slower than the flow of traffic.

20. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Dallas woman dies after car strikes her disabled vehicle on U.S. Highway 75

She wasn't going 40 and unable to drive at all. :(

The driver that hit her could see 900 feet ahead, although it has to be noted North Central Expressway is a very busy freeway.

Speeders like this are causing the wrecks...they often feel entitled to do it in any lane. Going 10 under the limit in the right lane not only is legal, but trucks are often required to go slower.

Speeders can attempt to justify and rationalize all they want but they are breaking the law, wasting the gas of thousands when their crashes cause urban gridlock, and on occasion take lifes. :(