1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How STOOPID can you be

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by BellBoy, Apr 21, 2006.

1. BellBoy

BellBoy Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I read this and I cannot even think that anyone could actually pay that much attention to the GPS versus their own eyes. I thought it was a joke until I read the linked story.

Snagged this from engadget.com:

2. Potential Buyer

Potential Buyer New Member

Am I the only one who thought of lemmings?

3. finally_got_one

finally_got_one New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BellBoy @ Apr 21 2006, 09:14 AM) [snapback]243158[/snapback]</div>
    Well, there is always the gentleman that won the Darwin Award when he put his RV into cruise control driving on the highway then went into the back to make a cup of coffee... :wacko:

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    lemmings! hehe. I love putting all the lemmings in a valley then blowing them up :p.

Anyway, yeah... right. I remember the time I was looking for directions to a campsite and MapQuest said my campsite was in the middle of the river!

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    hmm. reminds me of the nationwide insurance commercial they were playing for a while.

gps: "turn right"
    driver turns right
    CRASH, car goes through store window
    gps: "in fifty feet"

i guess they weren't making that up...

6. Cosmo

Cosmo New Member

All,

I'm going to forward this over to snopes and see what they can find out. British journalism, I just don't "quite" trust it.

Peace,
    Cosmo

7. BellBoy

BellBoy Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cosmo @ Apr 21 2006, 10:38 AM) [snapback]243212[/snapback]</div>
    Well...I would tend to trust the BBC. ;)

8. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm still waiting for the day SkyNet tells all GPS units to lead the humans to the collection depots...

9. Stringer

Stringer New Member

I have done that once too. I was going to a place X using a road that was unknown for me. The GPS told me to turn right, but there was an gate preventing that. Since I didn't know what other direction I should take and since there was an unofficial path around the gate, I decided to try it. It soon revealed to me that there was too much snow for my Prius. So I came back from my quest and choosed another direction at the gate. Then I drove without a clue where I was going, until the GPS decided to calculate a new route.

I should have been trying to study further the gps map, but the path there confused me and I was in hurry. Also, I don't remember if I tried the road block function or not..

10. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Remember when your parents asked, "If your friends told you to jump off a bridge, would you?"

11. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

This is precisely why my chances of taking over the world are better than 0%.

:ph34r:

12. nmrickie

nmrickie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    No wonder we have to push that stupid "I Agree" button every time we use it! It's idiots like this that make it make sense.

13. Porridge

Porridge New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(koa @ Apr 21 2006, 03:00 PM) [snapback]243270[/snapback]</div>
    If it is deep enought and the river not flowing too bad - sure I would jump. And as a bonus, you would not have to listen to them for the rest of the day with stupid wise cracks such as this.

14. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    This almost happened to me last year. I was going out into the boonies to a festival and following the road when I got a "Make a legal U-Turn." There were signs saying I was on the right road and I don't have any "avoid" areas in the system. I figured go ahead and see where the system wanted me to go. It wanted me to go off the main road and make a turn onto a road that would be best serviced with a burro. :blink: If I had followed the route blindly I'd really be stuck. :p

Needless to say I turned back to the road I was on and ignored the requests. When I got to the festival, it did say I had arrived.

15. benighted

benighted New Member

My Garmin GPS tells me to to strange things like turn on roads that don't exist (it was a creek, not a road) or drive down railroad tracks.

16. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I see that kind of behavior during the winter when the goofy weather people on the tube are telling everyone to drive extra slowly because 'it's really icy out there' when, in fact, IT WAS ICY WHEN THE WEATHER GUY DROVE IN TO WORK AT 3 AM :rolleyes: but now it's practically dry. But I still see a lot of people driving really really slow. It seems that a lot of people just like being told what to do. Possibly because it's easier than trusting one's own senses.

17. Stringer

Stringer New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(benighted @ Apr 22 2006, 12:01 AM) [snapback]243328[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, it was a Garmin I used too. I don't know about all Garmin devices, but the StreetPilot c320 should be always kept at truck mode since regular car mode does behave like that. Unfortunally it sometimes chooses routes that are unnecessarily long.

18. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My Garmin Street Pilot make mistakes once in a while, but not often. Which is to say that the data base has a few (but not many) errors. If I get off the route, intentionally or by missing a turn, it recalculates almost immediately. Maybe 50 feet. In fact, I often take a different route because I know the best way to get in the general area, but not exactly where the place is.

I, too, am skeptical of a news story that says they are pulling two cars a day out of the river after they drive off a "well-marked" closed bridge. How many morons can there be in a small town?

19. Schmika

Schmika New Member

I was W/B US 35 in West Virginia when the road was closed due to a semi crash. The Nav showed a road around the crash so off I went. The gravel road turned into a dirt road, turned into a grassy lane, and turned into someones back yard.

(which BTW, was the first opportunity to turn around)

Bada dow dow dow dow dow dow dow dooooowwww! (Deliverance)

20. PriusDad

PriusDad New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BellBoy @ Apr 21 2006, 09:14 AM) [snapback]243158[/snapback]</div>
    In all the time we've owned the car the Nav system has never steered us wrong. (We've had the car for a week.) In fact, we trust the Nav system so much now, that between it and the energy screens we don't even look at the road anymore when driving. ;)

P.