1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How stupid is your nav system's talking head?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by greybeard, Nov 16, 2004.

1. greybeard

greybeard New Member

I can't get the sweet gal inside my nav system to understand simple things. For example, 70 degrees. She'll say "setting temperature to 78 degrees". I never have had it set 70 degrees yet. I speak clearly in english with no accent and yet it does thing right sometimes and other times speaks back with commands that are totally off track. It's become a game. I'll use the talking head just to see how far off the mark she is. I'm happy that there is a new software for the map. However, this feature needs help big time.

On the other hand, this is by far the most wonderful ride I've ever owned. Don't you wish that American ingenuity was this good?

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    ONe problem that people have indicated, GreyBeard, is that they are attempting to speak TOO clearly. It's been my experience that when I speak normally as though I'm talking to a human, it gets it right. So perhaps - and I'm speculating - you are trying too hard.

Also, some commands are screen-specific.

3. tag

tag Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer\";p=\"50873)</div>
    :iagree

When I sort of over-enunciate a command, it doesn't work properly. Spoken clearly and slowly, "Temperature 70 degrees" will always result in 67 or 77 in my case.

When I say, "temperature70degrees", no problem.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Another I agree...sloppy run-together speach is probably better than well enunciated.

5. mmccking

mmccking Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I haven't been able to get her to understand anything I say when I sit in the passenger side seat, however, if I lean over to the driver area it works. Go figure.

6. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :lol: My response to "voice recognition" ranges from happy (when "Ernestine" responds accurately), to amusement (to the completely nonsensical responses), to frustration (when I really need the information requested.) Mostly, I am amused. :lol:

My Prius is named "Ernestine" after Lili Tomlin's telephone operator character of a few years ago on "Laugh In" - (or was it "Saturday Night Live?")

All things considered, "Ernestine" is fun to drive and a most welcome addition to our household.

-Charles Suitt- Dallas TX