1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to adjust passenger wiper

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by galileofigaro, Dec 5, 2023.

1. galileofigaro

galileofigaro Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    III
    I removed the entire wiper assembly to replace the sparkplugs, but when I put it back on, the passenger wiper was like an inch resting on the plastic, not the glass. I can adjust the driver's wiper unscrewing a nut, but on the passenger's there is no way to do that.
    Any suggestions?

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is it not on a spline shaft, like all my cars where I've removed and re-installed wipers. To reduce wiper icing in certain conditions on prior vehicles, I've pulled the wiper and reset it one spline tooth higher to get it up on glass heated by the defroster.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The passenger wiper is attached to two pivots, not just one.

Remove both nuts, and lift the wiper links straight off the pivots at both points. Do not twist while lifting; the splines are very fine and easy to mash flat.

After removing the wiper, not everyone does this, but Toyota recommends scrubbing the splines (vertically, along the splines, not across them) with a brass bristle brush, doing this both for the shafts sticking up from the cowl and the holes in the wiper links.

With the blade removed, cycle the wipers once to make sure they have stopped in the parked position.

Now reattach both links of the passenger blade, to both pivot points. Hold the blade so that its tip will be at the small round dot in the windshield that indicates the blade's parked position, and lower both links straight down onto the pivot points. Do not risk stripping the splines by moving the blade.

Then hold it in the proper position and tighten the nuts to the proper torque.