1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to calculate Fuel Economy

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Brian, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I know it is a very stupid question, but I can't figure out how you get the gallons to divide the miles by. I am nearing the end of my first tank, got my mileage book from staples ready to go and just can't figure it out. If I had a full tank at the beginning, how do I get the total gallons to divide it be now? I have just stared at john1701-a's pages and can't figure out how to get the number. When I fill'er up, do I take the number of gallons put in, then subtract that from 11.9 and that will give me the number used? It just isn't clicking in my head. :( Please help me out here; I don't want to do it terribly wrong.
    Brian

2. atootie

atootie New Member

divide the number of miles by the number of gal.( 240 miles 6 gals. 40 miles per gal.)

3. madrigal

madrigal New Member

let's make an example:
    date 01/03/04 odo 0 miles 0 gas full
    date 31/03/04 odo 320 miles 320 gas 12 MPG 27
    date 30/04/04 odo 920 miles 600 gas 20 MPG 30

(number are fictious) odo is the total number of miles and gas is the gallons added at the date

4. Batavier

Batavier Member

Another example:

Figures below are made up by me... :)

When you bought your car, there were 5 miles on it and the tank was full (assuming the dealer did his job correctly). When your odo meter reaches 420 miles the last bar on the gas gauge (searching for the right word here?) is starting to blink so you fill her up. You put 10 gallons of gas into the tank. Now you can calculate the MPG:
    You tanked 10 gallons and drove 415 miles (420 - 5). So to get the MPG you devide 415 by 10. Which would give you a MPG of 41.5.

The tank is full again. When next the little bar starts blinking the odo meter reads 910 miles. Once again you put some gas into the tank, 11 gallons this time.

You devide the number of miles you have driven since your last tankstop by the number of gallons you just paid for: (910 - 420) / 11, makes 490 / 11 = 44.5

Easiest thing is to use a spreadsheet to keep track of these things. Maybe you can find one on the website of John1701. http://john1701a.com/

5. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yep, I always divide by the # of gallons it took me to fill up the car.

6. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ok, so when you fill up, you take the gallons you put in then and there, and divide those gallons?
    If that is right, then it answers my question.
    Thank You all So Much
    Brian

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, that's right. The amount you put in the tank 'estimates' the amount of fuel you burned to travel the number of miles you traveled.

Let's say you have a 100 gallon tank
    You drive your car 100 miles
    You put 2 gallons of gas in the tank to fill it up

100 miles, divided by 2 gallons = 50 miles per gallon

If you'd have used the tank volume you'd have calculated 1 mile per gallon, but if you only got 1 mile per gallon you'd have had to burn 100 gallons to go 100 miles.

capice?

8. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, thanks! Makes perfect since now, because I know where to get the gallons to divide by, then I didn't.
    Thanks Again
    Brian

9. bookrats

bookrats New Member

From another PriusChat thread (the Average Miles per Tank topic), it sounded to me as if the calculated MPG on the fuel consumption screen of your Prius could be different than the calculations you take and calculate manually.

Would others agree with that?

At any rate, I certainly plan to keep track of the milelage manually -- just to check. These would be the "real" figures in any case.

10. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One tank to the next I've seen as much as 1.9mpg difference from computer to calculated. But over time most have found the difference b/w computer and calculated to be insignificant. Remember, not all gas pumps are precisely calibrated so even if the meter on the pump showed you pumped in 10 gallons, it might only have been 9.8 gallons, or it may have been 10.2. Also, you may not fill the tank to the exact same spot every time.

500 miles at 10 gallons = 50mpg
    500 miles at 9.8 gallons = 51 mpg
    500 miles at 10.2 gallons = 49 mpg

Thus, again, tank to tank there can be relatively large variences b/w computer and calculated for an individual tank and often the computer mileage may be more accurate for a given tank. But over the lifetime of the car all those variables average out and calculated is the most accurate measure.

11. jchu

jchu New Member

One other thing that I haven't seen any discussion on about mileage calculation is the fact that its the amount of miles you get for the gas burned not the amount you put back in the tank. With the bladder system used in the prius I seem to remember that the tank capacity can vary which will affect your calculations on any individual fillup though over time if one totals the miles and totals the gallons of gas before figuring the miles per gallon, this should even out.

Jon

12. SpartanPrius

SpartanPrius New Member

The key to getting a true MPG read on a car is to do it over a number of consecutive tanks, preferably over similar operating conditions. With a more primitive vehicle, I always recommended a minimum of three tanks. Each time you gas up, the respective pump's automated shutoff coupled with the pitch of the gas station's surface can alter your calculation appreciably. When you start dividing 1,500 miles by 31.5 gallons, the little stuff falls away.

(Note: WHY are gas stations allowed to have anything but relatively flat surfaces? A good number are so bad you don't dare to check your oil level. Or, worse yet, as you level your "tooped off" vehicle, you can get gas spilling from your cap.)

13. Bill60546

Bill60546 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, just got my car yesterday and drove back 1300 fun filled miles from WY to IL (dont ask). With 5 stops for gas, I used 27.08 gallons total which gives me a nice round figure of 48MPG.
    I started yesterday at 4pm and arrived at 8pm. Am going to bed. (but my garage has a new occupant. :mrgreen: )