1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to Cancel Dealer purchased Maintenance plan?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by BellaHMB, Jul 16, 2007.

1. BellaHMB

BellaHMB New Member

Found out too late that I shouldnt have purchased the maintenance plan!

So, I understand there is a 30 day cancellation policy, but how do you
    do that? And where? We don't have the paperwork yet and they said it takes 6 weeks
    to get it. And I dont want the 30 days to pass without filing for the
    cancellation.

Any help would be appreciated!

Victoria

2. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The one that we had, it specified in the booklet that in order to cancel, we had to submit a letter to the dealer, signed and dated, saying that we wanted to cancel. You should have a copy of the contract, right? read all the horribly fine print on the back, there should be something.
    Otherwise, just call them up and say, "I want to cancel this extended warranty, so how do I do that?"

3. priussoris

priussoris New Member

Always cancel in writing, and make a copy for your records signed and dated if mailed I would do sig. req. or take in person to the sales manager and salesman ., Oh and send one to the plans headquarters if it is not Toyota,
    ( Wife works for Contract Lawyer) YOU KNOW EVERYTHING IN BLOOD IF POSSIBLE...LOL

4. siliconhybrid

siliconhybrid Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BellaHMB @ Jul 16 2007, 10:51 AM) [snapback]479607[/snapback]</div>
    Just go to the dealer, find one of the finance guys, ask for cancellation of prepaid maintenance.
    I had my prepaid maintenance canceled after 1 time use of 5Kmiles, that's after 6 months. I got prorated $ back. All I needed to provide was just the "pre-paid maintenance coupon book" they sent me.
    If you haven't received the coupon book, I am sure you can just bring the transaction copy.

I did this in Capitol Toyota San Jose. The guy who helped me was Sunni

5. BellaHMB

BellaHMB New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(siliconhybrid @ Jul 16 2007, 01:21 PM) [snapback]479707[/snapback]</div>
    Just talked to the finance guy again and he said he would cancel it
    and then Toyota finance would credit my account.

Seem fair?

Victoria

6. Rae Vynn

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BellaHMB @ Jul 16 2007, 01:06 PM) [snapback]479769[/snapback]</div>
    I'd want that, in writing, and dated. :)

7. BellaHMB

BellaHMB New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rae Vynn @ Jul 16 2007, 03:07 PM) [snapback]479770[/snapback]</div>
    Yea, my husband is on the phone right now asking for all of that.
    Thanks so much!

Now the question is....would it be a good idea to purchase a lower
    priced plan from another source? Or let it go altogether??
    (our dealer was charging 1450!)

Victoria

8. Rae Vynn

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BellaHMB @ Jul 16 2007, 01:11 PM) [snapback]479772[/snapback]</div>
    You can get the Toyota extended warranty from right here...
    under Prius Accessories, select Discounted Extended Warranty.
    I paid $990 for it.

9. douglas001001

douglas001001 smug doug

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I went through canceling both an extended warranty and maintenance plan, I was able to cancel over the phone (toyota corporate #) since I financed through Toyota and got a confirmation letter in the mail a few days later.

10. BellaHMB

BellaHMB New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rae Vynn @ Jul 16 2007, 03:14 PM) [snapback]479775[/snapback]</div>
    I guess my question is "is it worth it?" or why did you choose to get one?

Victoria

11. Rae Vynn

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BellaHMB @ Jul 16 2007, 02:34 PM) [snapback]479822[/snapback]</div>
    Had one car, the extended warranty came in very handy.

Since we bought Rudy brandnew, and we are discussing whether we'll just keep him forever or will trade him when the next generation Prius comes out, having an extended warranty on him just makes sense to us.
    If we trade/sell him, the warranty adds to the value of the car.
    If we keep him, then we HOPE that should anything major require attention, it will be before the warranty expires!
    It does give us some peace of mind, should the computer crash or something.

12. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rae Vynn @ Jul 16 2007, 03:14 PM) [snapback]479775[/snapback]</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BellaHMB @ Jul 16 2007, 04:34 PM) [snapback]479822[/snapback]</div>
    Are you asking about the "Prepaid Maintenance Plan" (i.e. paying for all routine service up front) or the "Extended Warranty" (i.e. paying to extend the standard warranty in case something unexpected breaks)? You originally asked about the first, but then you responded to Rae Vynn's question as if you were actually interested in the Extended Warranty.

As far as both of them, it's up to you. I haven't looked at it carefully, but I don't think that the Prepaid Maintenance is worth it; I think if you just do the "standard maintenance" (i.e. the stuff in that maintenance schedule book that should have come with your car) at the dealer, you might end up spending the same amount of dollars, but it's better for those dollars to be in your pocket instead of Toyota's pocket for as long as possible.

The extended warranty is a bit trickier. It's basically insurance. Would you rather definitely spend a moderate amount of money now (the $990 Rae Vynn referred to) or potentially spend a larger amount of money down the road? Toyota makes a great car, but it's not perfect. Only a small percentage of people have had any problems with their cars, but there are problems out there (just like there are with any car). I guess this one just boils down to the type of person you are: are you the type that likes to play the odds or the type who likes to play it safe?

13. priussoris

priussoris New Member

We are also going to get the extended warranty, but will wait until 30k miles or 2.5 yrs whichever comes first.
    You have until 36k miles or 3 yrs before to decide if you want the extended warranty.
    But do it before 36k or 3yrs because people take vacay or out sick, stuff comes up etc... just to play it safe

14. BellaHMB

BellaHMB New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Betelgeuse @ Jul 16 2007, 05:54 PM) [snapback]479879[/snapback]</div>
    I have a 100K extended warranty on my BMW which I am selling now, and I never used it at all. It
    cost nearly 1800 in 2003. So Im not going to get the extended warranty but wondered about the prepaid
    maintenance.

Per my understanding, it doesnt cover parts at all, and essentially for most services is an oil change etc.
    But what about at the major services like 30K? Anyone know what we would be looking at if we went to the dealer without prepayment?

Victoria

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priussoris @ Jul 16 2007, 06:09 PM) [snapback]479891[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, that's another option isnt it! Our dealer of course said it would cost more then, but recently BMW upped their price on prepaid maintenance from 50-75K or 2 yrs from 995 to 1400!
    So there are no guarantees.... and they had just told us what the price would be and then said "WHOOPS".

That's one of the reasons we now have a Prius!

Victoria

15. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BellaHMB @ Jul 16 2007, 06:13 PM) [snapback]479895[/snapback]</div>
    See this post for information on the cost of both the extended warranty and the prepaid maintenance. There's even a link in there describing what's covered. The cost is $875 for the 4 year/ 55,000 mile Premium Plan.

The maintenance that I've done so far (5, 10, and 15K miles) would have cost about $60 each if we didn't get free oil changes from our dealer (they still charge us $30 to rotate the tires), so unless the 30K mile maintenance is super expensive, it's either not worth it or only marginally worth it.

16. mindcrime67

mindcrime67 New Member

I wouldn't buy any extended warranty. They are a big money maker for dealers. A dealer will pay a rate of $250-$500 for a vehicle based on type of vehicle and the rest is profit for them. When I was younger I worked at an insurance company that did these warranties and they got flat rate and the dealer got the rest. Dealers have so much flexibility that they often will modify the rate based on what they perceive is your ability to pay. That is why sometimes a dealer will lower the price as you go through the whole deal process of the car. This is the same for protection packages and other accessories. At my Toyota dealer they wanted to sell us a 3 group protection package for $1,500. When I declined they came back and said how about $1,000. I declined again and then the sales man said, I just talked to the manger and they are willing to sell it to you for $495. So it went from $1,500 to $495 in less than an hour and I'm sure they would still make a 50% profit if sold at $495. I had another instance when I bought my last car when I purchased a clear bra for $495 from the Dealer. When I had an issue after installation they sent me to the place that actually did the installation, a local shop 5 miles down the road. I asked the guy, how much would it be to install the clear bra if I came direct to you and he said $250. So I paid an extra $245 to drop my car at the dealer and have him send it to someone else to install. Dealers love warranty plans and accessory packages.....it's tons of profit for them.

17. PriusMatt

PriusMatt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Victoria,

I, too bought the warranty, then went in person to cancel with the finance guy (within 30 days). At the last second, I asked for a copy of the form that we filled out.

At least 3 months later, I had not received anything from Toyota. I also did not notice any change on my monthly billing statement, such as a credit. So, I called the Toyota Financial Services Administrator (800-228-8559), got a very friendly operator, but she found NO RECORD of my cancellation. Surprisingly, she believed me and did not even ask me to FAX my paperwork. She gave me the full credit. (This was just last Friday, so I have yet to get any paperwork.)

Point is, DON'T TRUST THE DEALER. Follow up with the above phone number. I'm thinking that this finance guy just threw the paperwork out, hoping that I wouldn't notice or follow up. I'm guessing that they earn a commission on these. They pressured me quite a bit on this purchase.

18. BellaHMB

BellaHMB New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusMatt @ Jul 17 2007, 05:35 PM) [snapback]480533[/snapback]</div>
    Yea, we asked the dealer to fax us a copy of the paperwork and are calling tomorrow if he hasnt, but I will also fax the cancel notice to Toyota myself OR call them myself if needed.

Thanks so much!
    Victoria

19. h2photo

h2photo Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    We cancled our extended warrenty in April, we are STILL waiting for the check refund. just keep on them if they give you the Run around. We call then about every 4th day now