1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to care for a car I won't be driving for a few months

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by winnertakesteve, Jan 27, 2016.

1. winnertakesteve

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    So I got i got hit... as a pedestrian in a crosswalk. :( I broke my right ankle pretty good and I'm still awaiting a surgery date.

Up side is it means my car is fine! But down side is I won't be able to drive anytime soon. It's in an underground condo garage, so it's protected from the elements, but I'm wondering if I need to make sure someone drives it at any particular interval.

Thanks for any advice anyone has!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ouch! sorry man.:( no need to drive it, unless you can't put a charger on the 12v. you might want to pump up the tyres to prevent flat spots.
    get well soon!(y)

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Pull the 12 volt out and store in your apartment? This'll avoid phantom drain, and make it a lot easier to give it a charge. Probably one charge session right after removal would do it.

Depends on your situation really. If someone can periodically borrow the car, that'd work too.

4. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Either do what the above posters said or have someone drive it 20 minutes straight every couple of weeks. If you recently replaced the 12v or you can park it in a garage without locking the car, then you can get away with once a month.

5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This used to come up very frequently back in the day when I made submarine patrols for a living, and I'll give you the reader's digest version:
    Other than the 12v (aux) battery, it's really not going to matter much in your case.

We used to get "experts" that put their car on stands, and treated the tires, and removed the spark plugs and put oil in the cylinder bores, and put miece traps around their cars, and desiccant packs in the interior..... and on and on, and on.
    We also had people that did nothing......and all manner of techniques in between.

In my never-to-be-humbled opinion, people tend to over think things, and you have (basically) three choices......all of which will probably work about the same in preserving your car's long term health.

1. Buddy method: Get somebody (you trust!) to drive the car for about a half hour every other week. It's important to get everything up to normal operating temps, which is why idling the car for a few minutes or just going for a spin around the block can actually be worse than doing nothing at all. If your 12v battery can't go for 2-3 weeks without starting the car, then you didn't cause the battery to go bad, but rather you discovered that you HAVE a bad battery.

2. Umbilical method. Battery tender and an extension cord.
    Note: This may not work for you if you park in a space that you don't own, since people may think that you're one of those jerks that steal electricity for their PHEV/BEV. Also....you want to make sure that it's a battery TENDER instead of a trickle charger.
    They're not expensive, and the $5 Harbor Freight units work just as well as the $50 Harley Davidson ones do.
    I have several, and have used them for years.

3. The Sloth method: Do nothing.
    While you're healing, get Amazon to deliver a $50 pocket jump starter.
    No.
    It doesn't have to be able to start an 18-wheeler, since you're just booting up a Prius with it - so - like the battery tender, you don't have to go overboard with the cost.
    Note.....if you're one of "those" Prius drivers that get emotionally attached to your MPG scores and radio presets, then you'll probably want to go with either #1 or #2 above.

(bonus choice!)
    4. The Tort maneuver:
    Buy the following: a. Neck Brace. b. 2-3 Doctors that will testify that you're emotionally devastated. c. A slip and fall lawyer.
    Actually?
    You don't have to buy the lawyers. If you got hit in a crosswalk then you should already have a 5-gallon bucket full of business cards by now.

Sue the bum that hit you and then sell the Priussy.
    Then....
    Who cares whether or not it starts?

Good Luck!

#5 ETC(SS), Jan 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
    winnertakesteve and frodoz737 like this.
  6. mrpinkie

mrpinkie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    My concern would be the fuel breaking down. The ethanol levels in today's fuels have caused me a lot of grief. Fowled fuel tanks, gummed up fuel system and the like. I have two motorcycles that sat for about 3 months due to first child worries and both needed a lot of love to get running again. I used a stabilizer and still no good. As a result I drain the fuel out of the lawn mower when not mowing weekly and pay more attention to fuel in the bikes. I am sure there are others here that can more scientifically explain why and how, I am just offering my experience of parking vehicles for an extended period of time in recent years.

7. winnertakesteve

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Thank you all! As its only been about 2 weeks so far, I may attempt the "simple" route of having someone take it out for 20-30 mins every few weeks.

I'm definitely gonna miss my little Prius, as my right ankle is non-weight-bearing for the next 12 weeks, and that's assuming surgery goes without a hitch. Sigh.

Also I love that this happened right when gas became insanely cheap. :p